WRX vs S4

This is a discussion on WRX vs S4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Maybe you all can help me with this?? I happened upon what appeared to be a stock S4 at a ...

WRX vs S4

Maybe you all can help me with this?? I happened upon what appeared to be a stock S4 at a stoplight the other morning. I pulled up next to him and when the light turned green we both took of casually then he just takes off, by the time I realized what was going on he was about one car length ahead of me, I run out first get into second and run that all the way as soon as I shifted into 3 we were neck and neck, I run out third and Iím about half a car ahead, then we go into 4th and he just leaves me probably about 1 1/2 cars to 2 car lengths ?? I am sitting there trying to figure out what just happened?? We both shut down after he pulled on me, we get next to each other and he waves and I follow suit. Any idea what a car like that would have done to school me so badly?

caelin~

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Are you modded at all?

S4's are no slouch. WRX's have terrible top end (4th & 5th) from what I've read. An S4 is not a car to be taken lightly, unless of course you're in an 03 Cobra etc.
    -Kramit
    '03 EvoVIII (Apex Silver)

I am decently modified, still running the stock turbo, but I have a TBE, UTEC stage 3, and 16.5 psi, intake, mostly just bolt on's, FMIC, thats about it for now.

caelin~

I used to have the same problem with my buddies chipped S4. From the outside he looked totally stock but the chip gave him a good 30whp and 30-40lb/ft over stock. Because of the weight of his car I could hang until we got going. Once I shifted to fourth he would walk me even when I had a MBC. Sounds like that's what happened to you.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

with your mods you should have beaten a stock s4. he was more than likely modded, and the s4 can be a h3ll of a sleeper. He could have very well had an intake, chip, and boost controller and still looked stock. with those mods he could push 40-50hp over stock.

Re: WRX vs S4

Originally posted by locam
    Any idea what a car like that would have done to school me so badly?
    S4 doesn't need much....

There is no getting around the need for a bigger turbo if you want to have good top end power in 4th and 5th gear...

The stock snail is simply undersized to pull 4th and 5th gear with any kind of authority... No matter what else you have bolted onto the car, you will still lose as the speeds increase if the stock snail is still under your hood...
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    WRX topend is lose

S4 topend is win

End of story.
    2003 SRT-4

O.CT makes a chip for the S4 that gives it:

88 Torque
    45 Horsepower

Talk about de-tuned from the factory
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

You never know what you are dealing with coming up on an S4 or even an A4 for that matter. We had a 1.8T A4 that had T28 kit on it that would hang with highly modded DSMs (T4 60-1 w/every bolt on,custom intake manifold and EVO 7 pistons and rods) on the highway. 0-30mph it was a pig, but was really strong on highway in the top end. It is all about the gearing, they are made for the autobahn. But let me tell you- a money pit. You'd better be banking.

Thanks for all the feedback. The funny thing is that I wasnt upset about loosing to that guy. his car was very clean and a sleeper, I will give respect where it is due.. The only hint that I had, to where I may of known he had something done was the white "auto" something sticker that he had sitting in the corner of the window. I will make sure that I watch for him later on.

caellin~