Disappointing encounter

This is a discussion on Disappointing encounter within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; As I was driving back home, I noticed a bright yellow car behind me about 50 yards away. I let ...

Disappointing encounter

As I was driving back home, I noticed a bright yellow car behind me about 50 yards away. I let off the gas and coasted until the car caught up. As it was closing in, I noticed what looked like a small intercooler. As it comes closer I see that it was merely just his license plate behind the metal grill I guess I need new glasses... Anyway, as it comes within 5 car lengths of me, I noticed it was an S2000 with full body kit and a tall rear wing (vibrating like crazy in the wind) with dual angled exhausts. The guy passes me without even looking and I slip right behind him and follow him through traffic. We were on a 2 laned road with traffic lights every 2 blocks. Traffic was kinda bad but the guy kept changing lanes trying to go fastAr I guess. I stayed in my lane until the road became 3 lanes and moved over to the far left. Traffic lightened up and I continue on my normal pace as he got stuck behind several cars in the far right. No race, oh well. 2 minutes later, I see bright yellow behind my rear view again. I was the first at the stop light and I launched normally (2k rpm). I was gonna go WOT but a minivan was in front in my lane up ahead, but the middle lane was clear. So the S2000 cuts to the middle lane and I get right behind him again. He becomes first at the stoplight and I am behind him. It's on now boi! We both launched higher than normal (I'm guessing he launched at 4k by the engine sound) with me launching at 3k. I almost instantly hit boost and was paying attention to my tach instead of looking at the road At redline in 1st, I look up as I was shifting to 2nd, and I was about 4 inches from his bumper. I quickly switched over to the right lane to avoid hitting him. In 2nd gear I pulled like mad on him. I see his gf in his car look over at me and I was surprised at how badly I pulled on him. At the end of 2nd I had about 1.5 car lengths and at middle of 3rd, I had about 3 car lengths on him. The stoplight was coming up, so both of us shut down as I went back to the far left lane. At the stoplight, I look over and the guy still doesn't look at me. There was another stoplight 1 block ahead that was red so I didn't bother to race. The guy launches like before (probably 4k once again) and goes WOT. I laugh and cruise to the next stoplight. As I was cruising to the stoplight the guy cuts to the far right lane and runs! He makes a right turn as the light turns green. I was going to go chase after him but I decided not to as traffic caught up.

So back to the title of the story, I was surprised at how badly I beat him in that short little race. I know S2000's have weak low end power but I didn't realize it was that bad Plus I was also disappointed that he ran. Maybe his house was close by but the way he went WOT and the way he turned, just looked like he got scared and ran.

Only mod: hks hi power catback exhaust

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good kill, sounds like a moron. I raced one from a stop, and from a roll a few months ago. With turboback, uppipe and other minor mods I was able to beat him by about a buslength.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

Thanks. If it was on the freeway I'm sure he'd kill me though. I like S2000's. Never driven one but I respect their turning ability. It was my very first race with an S2000, just disappointed at how bad they are without their 8k launch

Originally posted by TurnWRX
    Thanks. If it was on the freeway I'm sure he'd kill me though. I like S2000's. Never driven one but I respect their turning ability. It was my very first race with an S2000, just disappointed at how bad they are without their 8k launch

I would imagine that to launch that car is almost as difficult as slipping the clutch perfectly in a WRX. If you rev too high in the S2k you will get uncontrollable wheel spin, too low and you will bog for what seems like an eternity. They are fun cars to drive, though.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

Originally posted by TurnWRX
    I don't get it. I have had no problems from a roll with whupping on some cars. I just drop it a gear and take off. The S2K probably would not have beat you by much, if at all, from a roll. I know they live at high RPM's but they make like 240hp at 8k.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

Originally posted by ryland
    too low and you will bog for what seems like an eternity.
    Yeah cause you have VTEC which is turbo lag - the turbo
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

Ahh Vtec... All of the turbo lag, none of the turbo power. Kinda like waiting for bad sex.
    -Kramit
    '03 EvoVIII (Apex Silver)

I Support ClubWRX
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Thank you, Thank you!
    I'll be here all night. Be sure to tip your waitresses, folks!
    -Kramit
    '03 EvoVIII (Apex Silver)