beat GTI w/ my stock 2001 S-10 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on beat GTI w/ my stock 2001 S-10 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Cam?...

Cam?
    2003 GTI ,Ko4,Revo 4 bar,Bar 4 fpr

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You guys wanna talk about sick s-10's?

A friend of mine is currently in the process of building an all-aluminum, stroked 4.3L (302 ci I think?) with turbo pushing 20 or so psi. He'll be dropping it into his Xtreme. Current estimates are around 700hp.

He's gonna *****in' waste my Evo! It's gonna be sweet! In all reality, I think that was his goal. He's always been known for having the fastest and cleanest and best looking toys. Well, soon as ol' Kramit bought the Evo, suddenly someone's wang wasn't as big as it used to be. So he felt he needed to go above and beyond me. Jackass...

2poor - I think if you would like comparable power to an SS, I would go with the Sti. To me, the WRX now kinda seems like the poor-man's STi. Not flaming those who own regular WRXs. I considered getting one before I bought my Evo, which is why I'm a member of this board. But being faster out of the box is always a bigger advantage IMHO. It gives you an even better base to begin modding.

Now if you'd like a car with vast modding potential, I'd suggest getting an Evo... (flame suit on) j/k guys. Don't hurt me!
    Last edited by Kramit; 01-11-2004 at 05:45 AM.
    -Kramit
    '03 EvoVIII (Apex Silver)

Cam meaning camshaft... sorry for your confusion "how soon".

hey kramit, where are you from in SE Michigan? im from just out side of Pontiac... in Waterford. I like the Evo, but i think id be happier with the subbie...

Again, where is a good place to post that question about what to get?
    Nothing worse than a Mustang driver's ego. ( I very much dislike Mustangs )

Originally posted by 2poor4WRX
    hey kramit, where are you from in SE Michigan? im from just out side of Pontiac... in Waterford. I like the Evo, but i think id be happier with the subbie...

Again, where is a good place to post that question about what to get?
    I'm in Blissfield. 15 min NW of Toledo.

And I think this is the perfect place to ask the question. It all depends on how fast you want to go which = how much $$$ you want to spend.

Stock WRX< Modded WRX <= Stock STi < Modded STi
    -Kramit

You raced a Golf, not a GTi. GTi's come with either the 1.8T or VR6, either of which would have handed you your ass. I used to have a modded '96 S-10 and now I have a Jetta 1.8T, so I can speak with authority on this matter.

Good kill on the Golf though.

EDIT: Meh, sorry. I didn't notice you said it was a 96 model year VW. I don't know much about Mk3's.
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

Originally posted by Kramit
    I'm in Blissfield. 15 min NW of Toledo.

And I think this is the perfect place to ask the question. It all depends on how fast you want to go which = how much $$$ you want to spend.

Stock WRX< Modded WRX <= Stock STi < Modded STi
    I want a car that i could have a lot of fun with, i would get a Camaro but then i would need another car for winter. Plus, with the Camaro, you cant really have as much fun with it unless all your gonna do is go in strait lines and guzle gas. My money situation is not that bad but i would definatly be in debt if i got either the WRX or STi, just the STi would make me more in debt. Im worried about the warrenty issues, so major modding wont be a big thing for me untill the warrenty is up. i dont plan on getting it right now, i have points on my license so im waiting till they come off by next year (spring) and hopfully ill be able to get it then. My dad is trying to get me into GM for the summer cuz im still in college, so if i can get into there ill more than likely get the STi...

I would suggest looking for a used WRX then. If you are worried about modding vs. warranty, then I'd find an 02-03 with 36k+ miles on it for sale. I know you can find those for considerably less, (I did before buying the Evo). That way, it's already broken in, cheaper, and has no warranty.

It won't be as fast as an STi unless you put some decent $$$ into it, but it will be fun none the less.
    -Kramit

what about a used STi? if im not gonna buy it for a while, there should be some for sale in a year or so right? by then it might even be the price of a new WRX... i dont really know what im gonna do, ill just have to wait and see how my money situation is i guess. but i do like the new body rather than the older ones.

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    Originally posted by 2poor4WRX
    Plus, with the Camaro, you cant really have as much fun with it unless all your gonna do is go in strait lines and guzle gas.
    This is exactly true. I know that I got better gas mileage in my '99 Trans AM WS6 than I do in my WRX. Sixth gear in the Trans Am was extremely overdriven, and the amount of torque that the car produced was tremendous, allowing the driver to keep it in sixth gear at fifty miles per hour and still being able to climb steep inclines. So I got great gas mileage with my Trans Am.

Especially if you don't want to mod, I would strongly suggest that you get the STi over both the WRX and the EVO. However, if you are going to mod, I would suggest the EVO over the WRX and the STi. I love my WRX, but I bought it in 2002 back when no one knew that either the STi or the EVO would be brought to the United States. If I were to do it over again, I would have just saved the money and bought the better car. If you can afford either the EVO or the STi, I would definitely get one of those. The WRX will end up being much more expensive if you try to mod it to the level of the STi.

Re: Re: beat GTI w/ my stock 2001 S-10

Originally posted by ryland
    A 42 year old plumber with a compound fractured leg riding a bicycle can beat a V6 Mustang.
    hehehehe, a painful sight as he'll prolly have some butt crack showing too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12