Talon vs. WRX

This is a discussion on Talon vs. WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My buddy has a 91 talon TSI AWD. He just dumped some cash on a 3 inch tbe. No cats. ...

Talon vs. WRX

My buddy has a 91 talon TSI AWD. He just dumped some cash on a 3 inch tbe. No cats. removed silencer,crushed blow off valve, big 16g turbo, 550 cc injectors,255 pump,mbc chillin at 14 lbs.(for now) The car just got the act2100 lb clutch in it.

VS.
    My 02 wrx with 3 inch tbe, utec,blow off valve, mbc set at 15.

My friends and I are planning a Maple Grove trip ( which is our local track) at the end of march or first weekend in april. Do you guys think that hes going to beat me? Im really wondering what im going to have to do to win. And if it comes down to the driver i can definetely take him in that aspect.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Talon vs. WRX

Originally posted by WrXtremeEJ20
    My buddy has a 91 talon TSI AWD. He just dumped some cash on a 3 inch tbe. No cats. removed silencer,crushed blow off valve, big 16g turbo, 550 cc injectors,255 pump,mbc chillin at 14 lbs.(for now) The car just got the act2100 lb clutch in it.

VS.
    My 02 wrx with 3 inch tbe, utec,blow off valve, mbc set at 15.

My friends and I are planning a Maple Grove trip ( which is our local track) at the end of march or first weekend in april. Do you guys think that hes going to beat me? Im really wondering what im going to have to do to win. And if it comes down to the driver i can definetely take him in that aspect.
    I dont know dsms too well. But I destroyed a galant vr4 from a roll, that had those same mods as your friend. I know they are heavier but i pulled him easially, and I have the same mods are you except i am using the stock muffler. I'm gonna say it will be very close assuming your both good drivers, with you edging him slightly. Oh wait, i do have a ported turbo. ITs gonna be close

you might get him of the line but definately not from a roll. i have a stage 4 now but when i was set up like you are i got slaughtered by a first gen. talon with those mods. they sound mean to. i think it will be close in first and second, but i think he'll pull you hard in third.

Yea that turbo upgrade he has is gonna pull hard. Should be a great race though. Those are great cars.

Para

It depends 100% on the tuning of the Talon. Just bolted in place, a 16g goes no faster than the 14b. But, a big 16g w/ a full 3 inch exhaust, 550s, and a fuel pump can be tuned to run mid-low 12s.

I hope he got the ACT 2600 clutch; the 2100 isn't quite prepared for that HP level. People always ***** about the pedal effort of the 2600 but at my size (280 lbs) it was no difference.

At 14 psi he isn't going to do all that much either. The 16g will really get moving at 18 on pump, and 20-22 on race gas. I believe at 14 psi it won't be too much faster than the stock 14b. By 18 the difference is night & day.

Don't be lulled into security by the fact that DSMs ran 15.0 stock. It sounds good to start with a one second cushion but that second disappears with the slightest mod.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Originally posted by John M
    It depends 100% on the tuning of the Talon.
    What he said. I have waxxed DSM's with 16g's that were tuned poorley (or not at all) and I have had close runs with cars with the same mods and a good tune.

IMO If he is tuned right, I don't see you being able to take him.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

Basiaclly, it sounds like an Evo with slightly better fuel system and about 5psi less. I would guestimate that you guys should be pretty even.

I raced a guy in a 1g DSM with probably the same mods (from what he said). I was taking him hard until he hit the nitrous that he forgot to mention that he had....

... lousy cock bite.
    -Kramit
    '03 EvoVIII (Apex Silver)

I didnt see you mention if he was getting an afc, or IC upgrade or not. If he doesnt have one, then its gonna be fairly close, all things being equal that is. But if he has afc and fmic, and has it PROPERLY tuned, the car can make big power. With those mod Ive tuned cars to make 330+whp. How much power are you making? Ive bolted on turbo backs to 1g's and made 240+whp, with no other mods, just turbo back. Figure, if his car is running properly, it should be in the 250whp range. So, much like everyone else has said, the outcome just depends.