03 cobra and auto WRX

This is a discussion on 03 cobra and auto WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok...so its been a really long time since ive gotten any action, car racing that is . So im driving ...

Smile 03 cobra and auto WRX

Ok...so its been a really long time since ive gotten any action, car racing that is . So im driving down a local highway in northwest indiana, when i pass up this weird colored cobra (it was a yellow gold). I am almost confident it was an 03, because i never saw that color before on older cobra's. So i pass him, and i pull in front of him many cars ahead, and then i see him coming up quickly and getting right next to me. I cant see him, cause i have tint and so does he, so i downshift, and then wait about 3 seconds and then floor it. Right as i floor it he gets on it too, altho maybe a second later. Right off the bat i pull about 3 cars at 65 mph, and i hear him going all out, and im still ahead by around 110 mph, but i see him pulling. He finallly passes me around 115, but he doesnt just pass me. He passes me like i would pass a 130 hp corolla. Im talking this guy was going like 15 mph faster than me atleast. It was insane, and his exhaust was so loud and sweet sounding. Wow. Lol. So then we catch the light and i roll down my window and i say "holly damn, your car is so fast" and suprisingly he says "Your car is damn fast too man" and then i ask him if hes stock and he says no and then he says "your gonna take me off the line". Right when he says that, i rev it up, and take off, and then he takes off, but it was too late i had already a good 4 cars on him. Im thinking he wasnt ready, not sure. And then i just put on my brakes at about 90 since i was atleast 5 cars ahead of him, and he comes flying by at like 100+ and almost hits a car ahead. I felt bad i didnt want him to crash or anything. I flashed my brights at him, because i had to turn, wish we could of talked i was curious what mods he had. Now i know, im suprised i even did that well against him. It is very possible that when we did the roll race he wasnt even in the right gear. And i also think its possible that i launched before he did when we went from a dig. But it felt kind of good, because i felt like i could hold him off till around 100 mph, before he BLEW by me. This car was sick, it sounded insane, i have never heard a car sound like this, it almost gave me goose bumps . Anywhoo...time for a new paragraph.

Ok so then, i get what i had to get, and i go to meet my friend at the gas station. He drives an automatic WRX and he has a cold air intake and a hks bov. So i con him into racing me from a second gear roll. I dont want to race him froma dig, because the auto is really slow off the line. So we go from a second gear roll, and i smash him really bad. I think i had around 8 cars on him by 100+, it was pretty ridiculous. I was amazed, because last time we did a second gear roll, i would stay even with him in second, and then i would pull him in third, but i would only put about 4-5 cars on him. At that time i had only uppipe and downpipe. Now i also had a boost controller set at 16 psi. To say the least, it was a good night for me fun times. Any input would be appreciated, and it would be awesome if the cobra owner saw this post so we could get his side of the story . Chau and enjoy.

-BobbyD

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Definitely was not a 03. I have a 2002 WRX and 03 Cobra and there is no way our cars can stay with it from a roll as well as from a dig. Sorry, but our cars trap 95 MPH in the 1/4 and a 03 will do 110 to 112. Thatís a huge difference in speed. BTW, SVT never made a Yellowish Gold color on any Cobra. They made a bright Yellow color. Now mustangs came in a ugly yellowish gold color.
    Last edited by Drod; 01-10-2004 at 02:00 AM.

the cobra's supercharger gives out a very loud whine sound, you cant miss it...

if you didnt hear it, you probably raced a moded gt mustang.

the best way to tell if its an 03 is if the spoiler is solid, just a little lip off the trunk. the pre 03's are open spoilers. I can take the pre03's from a roll, but def. not when i was stock

I Support ClubWRX
    It could have been a custom color. It sounds about right that you'd get a jump on him for a few seconds until he reacted, then caught up and blew by you. All that could happen between ~65 and 110.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Originally posted by InfamousSXL
    the cobra's supercharger gives out a very loud whine sound, you cant miss it...

if you didnt hear it, you probably raced a moded gt mustang.
    werd...if this guy had a legit 03 cobra, you would have heard nothing but a loud whine when he went wot.
    2003 SRT-4

ya...

I was also wondering why i didnt hear the whine. The thing is, his exhaust was so damn loud. I used to hear my turbo whine when i had just uppipe and downpipe, but when i got my exhaust the rumble drones it out. So what i was thinking is that his damn exhaust was so loud, that it covered up any whine being given out. ANyways, it probably was a modded GT. Only problem with that is that there is NO WAY he will pass me that fast. I have raced a stock GT (2002) from a roll and we were dead even from about 60-130 or so, and this was when i had only uppipe/downpipe, and no MBC. He would have to do many many mods to pass me like i was a little biatch. I mean i would understand if this guy was passing me and put about 4 cars on me in like 10 seconds. But when someone passes you and in about 2 seconds they are like 8 cars ahead, something is wrong . I have also raced a few C5 corvettes, and none of them, passed me like that. They both walked me, but this guy ran by me. So it is possible that he was a modded GT, but i still think it was either a lightly modded or stock 03 cobra. Hopefully I run into him sometime, so i can ask him what he has exactly.

Re: ya...

Originally posted by BobbyD
    I was also wondering why i didnt hear the whine. The thing is, his exhaust was so damn loud. I used to hear my turbo whine when i had just uppipe and downpipe, but when i got my exhaust the rumble drones it out. So what i was thinking is that his damn exhaust was so loud, that it covered up any whine being given out. ANyways, it probably was a modded GT. Only problem with that is that there is NO WAY he will pass me that fast. I have raced a stock GT (2002) from a roll and we were dead even from about 60-130 or so, and this was when i had only uppipe/downpipe, and no MBC. He would have to do many many mods to pass me like i was a little biatch. I mean i would understand if this guy was passing me and put about 4 cars on me in like 10 seconds. But when someone passes you and in about 2 seconds they are like 8 cars ahead, something is wrong . I have also raced a few C5 corvettes, and none of them, passed me like that. They both walked me, but this guy ran by me. So it is possible that he was a modded GT, but i still think it was either a lightly modded or stock 03 cobra. Hopefully I run into him sometime, so i can ask him what he has exactly.
    Maybe he had a GT and had to spray....cause if he had an 03, he would have

A. Passed you immediately
    B. Been more like 10 cars ahead at 115
    C. been emitting a very noticeable whine. I have driven my friends 03 cobra that has borla exhaust and nothing else, and at WOT you hear NOTHING but the blower.
    2003 SRT-4

WRX

Re: 03 cobra and auto WRX

I dont want to race him froma dig, because the auto is really slow off the line.
    that's not entirely true... I've gotten 1.900 60' but you have to know what you're doing.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

Re: ya...

...snip...So what i was thinking is that his damn exhaust was so loud, that it covered up any whine being given out. ...snip..
    I have a pretty loud exhaust on my Cobra too but the whine is unmistakable. It would have sounded something like the vid at this link;

16.4MB

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...5165749&idx=20
    02 WRX Wagon Silver SOLD
    03 Cobra Satin Silver, twin screwed, cammed, ported, nasty

Re: Re: ya...

Originally posted by postban
    I have a pretty loud exhaust on my Cobra too but the whine is unmistakable. It would have sounded something like the vid at this link;

16.4MB

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...5165749&idx=20
    damnit! Image station sucks!! But I want to see that video!! Can you post a different link?
    2003 SRT-4

Re: Re: Re: ya...

Originally posted by StoplightWarrior
    damnit! Image station sucks!! But I want to see that video!! Can you post a different link?
    The imagestation link works slowly but is better quality. That video is in the following compilation but at a pretty high compression.

3MB

right-click-save-as-please

http://www.motorcityterminators.org/images/mct_0003.wmv
    02 WRX Wagon Silver SOLD
    03 Cobra Satin Silver, twin screwed, cammed, ported, nasty

I just got an 03 Cobra and their is no way that my 02 wrx can run with it. I have a GT1 Auto Perf Meter, and I have measured 1.9 60 ft times with the Cobra. 0 to 60 4.5 sec and a 1/4 12.7 111 mph. It was not a Cora. The Sound ot the S/C is so loud, my wife heard me almost 1/2 mile away when I was testing my car at a diserted road. All she heard was the S/C. From a roll our wrx are not fast. The 03 would bull you hard from any speed. That's just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Drod; 01-11-2004 at 06:23 PM.

Originally posted by Drod
    I just got an 03 Cobra and their is no way that my 02 wrx can run with it. I have a GT1 Auto Perf Meter, and I have measured 1.9 60 ft times with the Cobra. 0 to 60 4.5 sec and a 1/4 12.7 111 mph. It was not a Cora. The Sound ot the S/C is so loud, my wife heard me almost 1/2 mile away when I was testing my car at a diserted road. All she heard was the S/C. From a roll our wrx are not fast. The 03 would bull you hard from any speed. That's just my 2 cents.
    dont think it was a cobra at all. From my personal experience with my friends wrx and my stock 01 cobra I put many car lengths on him from a stop or a roll. I am stock he has a MBC and Gutted Up-pipe. I think it was a badged gt. BTW my friends is a 5 spd wrx.
    2001 Mustang Cobra
    Vortech @9psi
    13* Timing and 11.5AFR
    Tuned by ME

try this vid of 15 cobras passing...

http://03cobra.g33ks.org/vids/SoCal...sh_Cruise_1.wmv

you will see just how loud the blower whine is...