Buddy Just bought '00 Mercedes SL500
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Buddy Just bought '00 Mercedes SL500 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; 2000miles on it for 50k... good deal eh? What would be the outcome if we raced from a dead stop ...

Buddy Just bought '00 Mercedes SL500

2000miles on it for 50k... good deal eh?

What would be the outcome if we raced from a dead stop and/or roll? anyone know?

Here are specs i found on the Mercedes Benz Site:

Engine 5.0L 24-valve V-8 engine
    Net Power 302 hp @ 5,600 rpm
    Net Torque 339 lb-ft @ 2,700 - 4,250 rpm

... thats it.
    '04 WRB STi
    Mods: Removed Air Box

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You'll take him top-end and will spank him on a dig. Those things are auto and weighs almost 4000lbs! Don't tease with the SL55 though....
    13.7 at 98.74 MPH / Stock TD04 & No EM

From a stop with a decent launch, you should have no problem with it. They run I think high 14's in the quarter mile.....so you should be good to go. From a roll, they'd be more of a challenge, and I'd say pretty evenly matched. Anyone else with a better opinion, feel free.
    Too bad I couldn't afford a WRX, but life goes on........hopefully......

the 2000 R129 SL500 are good for low 6's. On the roll when weight become less of a factor for accelerating, I'd say it's close, but the STi will have the upper hand.

you can try and tell us the story later...
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

STi? No way you should have a problem...my friend has an SL500 and I beat him from a roll no problem and I'm a completely off the shelf Stage 2 + up pipe car.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

I just remembered, when i was headin up to san bernardino, i saw an SL55 AMG, i saw him in my rear view mirror, and he was drivin really fast. When he passed me i downshifted to get even with him . There was some traffic that prevented us from getting next to eachother. i

But there was an opening that sloped into a curve, we both took off. GOD DAMN THOSE THINGS ARE FAST! I shut down at 115mph, but he kept going.. and going.. and going.. and he was gone. He slowed down later on and i just zoomed by him, but he had to exit the freeway.
    '04 WRB STi
    Mods: Removed Air Box

Just wait until the SL65 hits the streets...

-B

This is the real car.
    http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/mer...2F007210-T.jpg

0 to 60 6.4

1/4 14.9

4100 LBS

The SL 600 was quicker.

0 to 60 5.7

13.9 1/4

4400 lbs

389 hp

420 lbs tourque

Still a nice ride. Especially for 50k and 2000 miles.

sht
    owned
    wrx 04 black

workin for the man

I think your buddy got his head ripped off on the sale to

Originally posted by Beanboy
    Just wait until the SL65 hits the streets...

-B
    Are they not out yet? I was in VA two weeks ago and swear I saw one. It looked like a SL 55 amg with a wider body and wider tires. It was definately a new model.

edit: I just checked the MB site. I think it was a new SL 600, still very fast.
    Last edited by JRod; 01-09-2004 at 01:30 PM.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

Originally posted by JRod
    Are they not out yet? I was in VA two weeks ago and swear I saw one. It looked like a SL 55 amg with a wider body and wider tires. It was definately a new model.

edit: I just checked the MB site. I think it was a new SL 600, still very fast.
    there's no body variation between the SL500 and SL600. Both can be had w/ the AMG sport pkg which will make it looks like the SL55 other than the quad-exhaust that's only on the 55.

the wide body you see most likely is someone's modded car w/ either the Lorinser wide body kit, carlsson wide body kit, or custom made wide body kit.

Originally posted by FrankW
    there's no body variation between the SL500 and SL600. Both can be had w/ the AMG sport pkg which will make it looks like the SL55 other than the quad-exhaust that's only on the 55.

the wide body you see most likely is someone's modded car w/ either the Lorinser wide body kit, carlsson wide body kit, or custom made wide body kit.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Had to be a SL600 amg then, I definitely saw a 6... and AMG. It looked really nice in black.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

Sounds like a great deal. Where did he find it? Those cars are heavy, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Originally posted by JRod
    Thanks for clearing that up. Had to be a SL600 amg then, I definitely saw a 6... and AMG. It looked really nice in black.
    some of the last generation SL600 came with the AMG badge, but none of the new SL600 came w/ the AMG badge even w/ the sport pkg.

Probably the guy put the badge on him self.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.