my STi vs. M/// Roadster... Freeway Race
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on my STi vs. M/// Roadster... Freeway Race within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; 315hp/251lbs.tq vs 300hp/300lbs.tq I was driving home from the gym tired as hell. As i went on the onramp to ...

Cool my STi vs. M/// Roadster... Freeway Race

315hp/251lbs.tq
    vs

300hp/300lbs.tq

I was driving home from the gym tired as hell. As i went on the onramp to the freeway, i see this green M Roadster w/an obvious upgraded aftermarket exhaust. I zoom by him and all of a sudden i hear him downshift. I was like.... its on!

The traffic was moderate, but hard to find an opening for the both of us. We went at it about 3 times. It was an equal race from those three. It was two times when we were leveled, i downshifted to 5th first so i had that little jump, due to the traffic he had to get behind me, but he held his ground and the space between us didnt widen or close. The other time, he had the first jump, but same thing, i held my ground. Same distance between the both of us. Im not too sure how fast we started and ended.

Then there was an opening. A fourth race. Crusing about 75, i downshifted to 5th again and he did his part, as i was looking to my left i can see that he was falling behind!!! i was inching on him, but once i hit 6th gear, he held up. I looked down at my odometer and shut down at 138mph.

We gave eachother the thumbs up... good race. When he went by me, (he seemed he was in his late 20's) i saw his mom? or grandma? in the passenger seat, and she had this huge smile on her face. That was funny.
    Last edited by x Neo x; 01-05-2004 at 01:58 PM.
    '04 WRB STi
    Mods: Removed Air Box

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ike
    Nice race, but I'm not sure where you got your specs from. The M roadster is 240hp and if I recall correctly 236tq.

Starting w/the '01 M Roadsters, BMW gave it an all new engine... heres a few of the many links where i found the specs...

http://www.bmwworld.com/models/m_roadster.htm

"Starting in 2001 that engine gave way to an all-new 3.2 liter in-line six, first seen in the M3 coupe. In the M roadster, horsepower went from 240 to an even more thrilling 315. There's also a significant increase in torque, from 236 lb-ft. to a new peak of 251 lb.ft. The European M cars have the 321hp double VANOS engine."

http://www.car-prices-costs.com/BMW-...ster-2002.html

"Performance specifications for the BMW M Roadster include impressive items that lend to top-notch driving such as six electronically controlled individual throttles, and a 3.2-litre, DOHC, 24-valve, six-cylinder engine. This sleek machine pumps out 315 horsepower, and has a sweetly tuned suspension that takes it around corners tightly.
    '04 WRB STi
    Mods: Removed Air Box

Ike
    What makes you thin it was the 315hp model, is there some sort of tell tale visual? Seems that if it had been the 315hp version it would have walked you at those speeds. I think the M roadster is also electronically limited to 137mph, at least the 240hp version was. So you should have kept going for a couple more MPH

The 01 M roadster and coupes have only one minor exterior change that sets them apart from the previous model and that is the wheels have the same finish as the current M3 and M5 (that black chrome look). The 98-00 models have just a silver polished wheel. The interior just has grey faced gauges like the current M cars rather then the black faces found on other BMWs. The S54 motor with 315hp is very fast, just a detuned E46 M3 motor pulling less weight. The M Coupe and Roadster are definately bad ass little cars. A blast to drive too. The 98-00s were around 5.4 0-60 and then the 01s were around 4.8ish....
    WRX - It's not a rocket. It's a guided missile.

I took a co-worker for a ride in my STi. he'd been in another co-workers 2002 M roadster and had been telling me that the M was one hell of a fast car. I took him to a nice S-Curve and accelerated through it pretty hard. After hitting the straight-away after the curve he told me that the M had nothing on the STi from a performance standpoint. Regardless, the M roadster is one sexy beast.

Agreed that in the turns even a stock WRX would give an M roadster a good run and a STi should easily have the upperhand. The M roadster was all motor. The suspension was way to soft to handle all the power it made. I have driven both the 240hp and 315hp versions of both the M coupe and roadster, and the 240hp variants take the cake in the handling department. Some times less power = more control especially in that case, since you can keep the revs higher in the 240hp version and not lose the back end totally. However, the coupe is basically a gokart for the street. Even though any BMW especially, the M cars are amazing machines hands down.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That M roadster is a cool car. I've never seen one on the street.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Originally posted by Mabf355
    Agreed that in the turns even a stock WRX would give an M roadster a good run and a STi should easily have the upperhand. The M roadster was all motor. The suspension was way to soft to handle all the power it made. I have driven both the 240hp and 315hp versions of both the M coupe and roadster, and the 240hp variants take the cake in the handling department. Some times less power = more control especially in that case, since you can keep the revs higher in the 240hp version and not lose the back end totally. However, the coupe is basically a gokart for the street. Even though any BMW especially, the M cars are amazing machines hands down.
    Totally agree even though I've never driven a BMW of any type. I had wanted to buy an M3 instead of the STi but thought that I'd hesitate from driving it hard due to its pricetag. So, I got the STi to play/learn in. The M3 is still calling my name though. The Lotus Elise is looking mighty appealing as well.

Originally posted by Ike
    Nice race, but I'm not sure where you got your specs from. The M roadster is 240hp and if I recall correctly 236tq.
    Your hardrive needs updating sir.

BTW, that look like the coupe to me?

Very cool car but christ there's no space inside them. When we got our X5 I was killing time sitting in one and thinking this is worse than being holed up in a United Airlines turbo prop plane.

T.

I'm not familiar with the gearing in an STi but you choose 5th gear for a 75 roll? And you had to shift to 6th?

Just makes me appreciate my 6 wider-spaced gears I guess. All my previous cars were 5spd so they're not a good point of reference either.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Hmm, thats what i was thinking, i would also think that if he had downshifted to 4th, he would have pulled even more. But i don't know the gearing in an sti.

steve
    2002 SRP WRX Sold .......i need another wrx
    13.3 @99mph with a mbc

03 Honda Element
    1992 Civic hb W/B20 SOLD

i think u raced the 240 hp not the 315.
    Z33

Just checked an old Bimmer Magazine from Feb 2002, and they have the 315hp M running 0-60 in 4.5 and 1/4 mile in 13.1. Compared to the 240 which they claims runs 0-60 in 5.4 and 1/4 mile in 14.0. He definately raced a 315 hp version because without a doubt the STi is definately a faster car then the 240hp version. The 315hp M vs. an STi would be strictly a drivers race and from a roll it would be about even just as x Neo x told us. Although in this case I may side with the BMW in saying it should beat the STi from a roll, BMWs are known for their midrange and highend power. But those times are too close to real judge either way im sure it was a fun race.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast