Toyota 2002 MR2 Spyder

This is a discussion on Toyota 2002 MR2 Spyder within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This thing pulls up behind me, and im thinking, its a ****ing porsche! I was driving with my 2 friends. ...

Toyota 2002 MR2 Spyder

This thing pulls up behind me, and im thinking, its a ****ing porsche! I was driving with my 2 friends. Were in town at a stop light, speed limit is 40 mph. So both of us are lined up, hes driving alone, while i have 2 friends, and i tell him, "lets race on green" but instead of saying ya hes like "man, i dont know". ANyways, it turns green, and the ****er Drops the clutch at what i imagine to be about 2500 rpm or so, and he just LEAVES. By the time i take off...at about 4000 rpm, slipin the clutch, im 3 cars behind. And im not gaining. We stop at 50, he was still 3 cars ahead, he wasnt pulling but either was I. So he pulls over and we talk, and decide to take these bad boys on the highway. My subaru is a manual by the way, and his was also. So we go on the highway, finally we find a light, and im lined up, but he is still rolling(?) and it turns green and he punches it, mother****er got a 3 car lead again, that bastard, so i slip it and take off, we hit 60 and im about 2 cars back. 80 im almost caught up, then i switch it to 4th gear and i BLOW by him. And i do mean BLOW, i was RUNNING from this guy. We stoped at 120, i must have been 8 cars ahead? ALl my friends were like "MY GOD YOU KILLED HIM AFTER 80" im like "ya, im suprised, 4th gear sucks?". So we hit another light, this time, we both stop, no rolling start for him! I slip the clutch at 4500 and he sidesteps his, he chirps, i got about half a car lead off the line, i was suprised at how quick that thing takes off! I hit 2nd, im ahead by 1 car, all through second i start slowly pulling, im talking slow pulling, i put it into third and i start walking, by 80 im 3 cars ahead, and i was walking BRISKLY. anyways, we stoped at 90 and i was about 4 cars ahead or more. We pulled over at the gas station and talked. His car is tiny, a little 2 seater, and it only has 135 HP, MY GOD, that thing is so FAST for 135 hp. Of course that car only weighs about 1800 pounds...from what he told me, and it looks like it, its tiny. ANyways, i was suprised at how well that car keeps up in 1st and 2nd gear, 3rd gear and 4th are just way too slow on that car tho. But its a very very worthy contender till 60 mph.

-Bobby D

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Those cars are hella light. With only 135HP, they are as fast as Celica GTSs. Nice kill though.

those cars have a lot of midrange pull. i love those little things
    very tight cars.

good kill by the way...is your car stock?
    Originally posted by AbACUZ
    im new in here, I am AbACUZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by AbACUZ
    No where, is my style diferent, yes, I am AbACUZ.

An RSX, Eclipse would have pulled away from you if a 135hp MR2 came that close. Good kill anyway.

MR2 Spyder

My friend has one and I used to race him in my prelude. He would hang till about 60 or so and I would walk away from that point on.
    I personally like the car. RWD, 2100pds, good shifter feel and it is a roadster.
    Regardless, they usually pull low 15s @ 87-89mph through the 1/4.
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

heh

My car is completelly stock, nothing done to it, but i just ordered an uppipe from GOD and a downpipe from stromung. I also got a boostvalve sitting on my conunter, the only thing im waiting for is my gauges to come in. After i put all that stuff in, my car should be a LITTLE quicker. Anyways...i think the reason i wasnt pulling very hard on that car before 50mph is cause i had 2 friends in the car and he had nobody but him. An extra 320 pounds has to count a little . But after 60 he was done for it, no looking back on my part. As far as celica's or RSX's or Eclipses beating me, im not sure. I raced a Eclipse 2002 GT and totally smoked it. I also totally bogged all my launches and let him get a 1 car lead everytime, and i still beat him bad. This little car was MUCH quicker to about 60 than that Eclipse. That Eclipse was a manual by the way, it wasnt automaitc. I talked to this guy with the MR2 and he said hes raced 2001 GT mustangs and kept up with them till about 80, after that they would walk over it. So that car is definatelly not slow, even with its 135 hp. Regardless, i didnt get the best launch on him, i could have done better than half a car launch lead. I dont think it will matter, after i get my DP and UP in, and the MBC, i will be good to go then.

I thought the mr2's had 180 hp? Or at least 160... They didn't make 135 vvti.... for them....They used the Celica's engine I thought?

mr2's are quick, but beat a wrx to 60? no way. From what it sounds like you were just sitting there for a second or 2 after he lauched, since you didnt know he was going to race. The spyder is about a mid 15 second car, about 7 seconds to 60. A wrx with a boost controller will MURDER one of these things off the line.
    New:
    2005 Electric Blue Lancer Evo VIII

Traded:
    Platinum Silver 02 WRX
    TurboXS stage2

Lightbulb

MR2 Spyder's have 138hp with 125lb.-ft of torque.

"An RSX, Eclipse would have pulled away from you if a 135hp MR2 came that close. Good kill anyway."
    LOL...seems like theres always gotta be a downer in the party...

I believe he stated that he BLEW by the guy once he got his **** together. The Spyder has excellent mid range power, and to try and go from a dead stop with him going from a roll is a totally different story. but notice that he walked the little thing at 80.

Just because he only has 135 horses doesn't mean diddly squat. It's the power to weight ratio that matters. The spyder is awesome...espescially once you slap on a S/C..it'll eat you for dinner on the track in the twisties and on the strip.

Of course, we could always toss in some rain to make it even.
    Last edited by ArchangelX; 06-01-2002 at 10:59 AM.
    1993 RX-7 TT
    http://home.attbi.com/~archangle10/w...7/site1005.jpg
    SSP Pineapple Racing Rebuild/Stage 2 Oil/Rebuilt Tranny/HKS Downpipe/Apex-i PFCw/Commander/RB Dual SS Catback/ACT S/S Clutch/Resurfaced Flywheel/ASI AST/Fluidyne Radiator/Polished UIM/Throttlebody/Efini Y-Pipe/Silicone Hose Job
    Koni Shocks/Eibach Springs/Mazdaspeed Bushings/Brembo Dimpled/Slotted Rotors/G-Stop Steel Brake Lines/EBC Greenstuff
    Kenwood eXcelon Z919 CD-MP3/Infinity Kappa Perfect Sound System/2 JBL Power 360W Amps/2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect Subs
    Car Pics: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291149161
    Modification Pics: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291071767

2002 Subaru WRX
    FATT

I Support ClubWRX
    Speaking of low power super vehicles...I wouldn't mind owning a sub 200hp car, especially if it's a Lotus Elise, Exige, 340R or prototype M250.....and of course, if you for some reason don't like look of the Elise, you can opt for a Vauxhall VX220 which isn't as exciting to drive apparently, though is based on the Elise.