STi vs. SRT4 - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on STi vs. SRT4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by bent_halo I like the sti.....why would I want it to lose power? Just offering some input.... Well, ...

Originally posted by bent_halo
    I like the sti.....why would I want it to lose power? Just offering some input....
    Well, I know it's "just input" but seeking out the lowest numbers you can find that also don't fall in line with any other numbers doesn't exactly contribute.

On the SRT forums, there are accounts of SRT4's beating STi's on the street, from a roll, yes. But on other forums it's the opposite way around. A few examples, it's close. In most, it's not.

Given the comments in the quote I just saw, I guess it's good that I continue to have Shaitiger on my ignore list.

If someone will step up for my offer, it can be settled. I like the SRT4 and as I've said repeatedly, it's the best bang for the buck right now. The numbers simply don't work for me, however, and I'd like to test it myself. If local SRT4 owners are afraid to step up to the plate, THAT settles it in my mind.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by YBNormal07
    damnit...mines defective...I don't trap at 99-102

Should I take it back and complain
    That's pretty good. That makes two so far, which is above average and still nothing to be jumping for joy about. Again, real life races tell the truth of it all .

I love the STi, but in stock form it has little to no top-end for being rated at 300hp and having an aggressive 6 speed tranny. Hey, that's what mods are for. Hopefully I'll have my girl's STi trapping 107-108mph by summer.
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Originally posted by Shaitiger
    That's pretty good. That makes two so far, which is above average and still nothing to be jumping for joy about. Again, real life races tell the truth of it all .

I love the STi, but in stock form it has little to no top-end for being rated at 300hp and having an aggressive 6 speed tranny. Hey, that's what mods are for. Hopefully I'll have my girl's STi trapping 107-108mph by summer.
    Don't need top end for what's intended for..

Originally posted by renichms
    Given the comments in the quote I just saw, I guess it's good that I continue to have Shaitiger on my ignore list.

If local SRT4 owners are afraid to step up to the plate, THAT settles it in my mind.

RN
    Reading many threads about STi's getting owned from a roll settles it in my mind that you should be afraid .
    Last edited by Shaitiger; 01-09-2004 at 06:04 PM.

Originally posted by mx_9
    Don't need top end for what's intended for..
    Are you pulling out the "it wasn't made to race in a straight line" card?

Are you pulling out the "it wasn't made to race in a straight line" card?
    Hell yeah. If I wanted to point and shoot I would have bought a straight line rocket. I bought the car to learn autocross in. So for me top end is meaningless. The fact that the 4 banger can get from 0-100 faster than most cars out there is nice. The fact that it beat almost all of them out there if there is water on the road is cool. The fact that it can dice through a field of cones and accelerate rapidly while doing so is spectacular. Could give a flying %vck about what it does on the top end. I'll never see it.

EDIT: spelling

EDIT 2:

EDIT 3: Took out cranky EDIT 2 comment.
    Last edited by mx_9; 01-09-2004 at 06:06 PM.

mx_9,

That's totally awesome you feel that way about your car. If you are happy with the top-end of the car that's totally cool. That's not the case for myself and other STi owners I've talked to. One of the first things I did on my girl's STi was install a catless downpipe. That has helped but I want to go full turboback once the UTEC is out for the STi. Enjoy man.

I have seen stock SRT-4's trapping between 100 to 104 myself so I don't have any problem believing the "from a roll" stories.

People keep saying "six speed vs five speed" blah blah blah... how many times do you use 6th at the drag strip? Never? OK! They aren't geared all that different, the STi just has lower revs when cruising the freeway due to having that nice extra gear for fuel economy.

More important in a highway race is power to weight ratio. How much does each of the cars weigh and how many ponies are showing up at the wheels.

Enough said,

Keith
    Miss the wifes WRX, but love my Ralliart!

Excellent point Fourdoor.

mx_9,

That's totally awesome you feel that way about your car. If you are happy with the top-end of the car that's totally cool. That's not the case for myself and other STi owners I've talked to. One of the first things I did on my girl's STi was install a catless downpipe. That has helped but I want to go full turboback once the UTEC is out for the STi. Enjoy man.
    Does the catless downpipe affect low end performance at all? From my limited knowledge, there's always trade-offs. Is this the case here too? Do you auto-X?

I Support ClubWRX

Reading many threads about STi's getting owned from a roll settles it in my mind that you should be afraid .
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

DING! DING! DING! Back to your corners! Take a breather and watch the intermission show!

Take it Mr. Wiggles:

bent - Vishnu's dyno reads REAL low compared to every other dyno out there. He has a real funky way of setting that thing up.

RN - I would step up to the plate, but you live to far!!

Shaitiger - Should I nick name you "Reality Check"?

YBNormal - You're the only one I can run in this thread!

I just want to say that both cars are great!! Keep boostin baby!!
    2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i [Bone Stock]
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 [303 hp/323 tq] - SOLD

Being awd and heavier, its going to take a lot more power to get an STi to pull on the top end.

The SRT-4 being lighter and only front wheel drive, its going to take much less power to pull on the top end.

So Its no suprise to me that an SRT-4 can pull so hard at higher speeds. The car is light, fwd, and making good hp and torque.

But I didn't buy my STi to be a top end racer. I think being able to trap at 100-102mph in stock form is pretty good. With just exhaust my STi is pulling close to 105mph. Thats pretty good. I also know being able to pull 1.79 sec 60' times and low 13s right off the show room floor is outstanding.
    I love having confidence when I line up next to someone at a stop light. I know that my awd is going to leave whatever is next to me way behind.
    That confidence is something I never had in my LT1 or LS1 z28s. Thats why I switched to awd. Its also why I didn't get an 03 Cobra. I was willing to give up that top end power for awd confidence. Thats just me, some other may feel completely different.

Driving a front wheel driver (SRT-4) would be even worse. I would have no confidence at all on the street. I would never buy a front wheel driver as a performance car.

Originally posted by renichms
    And God dynoed 250. 255 with water spray, 258 without intake silencer. One company yanked the engine and the engine dynoed at 311. The STi does not lose as much power through the drivetrain as you seem to want it to.

RN
    God uses a different dynamometer. He uses a dynapack whereas shiv uses a dyno dynamics (doesn't use correction factors) which is why his tends to read lower than others.

I have no problem believing the possibility of an srt-4 keeping up with an sti. It has been proven that srt4s can dyno between 230-245hp and I think most of us can agree on that. So wouldn't it at the very, very least put up a fight with a stock sti? I don't see what the debate is about. An sti would definitely not destroy it. Given: from a roll, nobody is arguing anything else.
    I love the sti, but let's be a little more realistic.
    03 wrx
    karboy ss/bushings, blitz dtt, catless, prodrive axleback

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.