STi vs. SRT4 - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on STi vs. SRT4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by drizze99 Also a little easier on the pockets when it comes to car insurance! Yeah I hear ...

Originally posted by drizze99
    Also a little easier on the pockets when it comes to car insurance!
    Yeah I hear Insurance companies were getting pissed about that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i was just cruising around here on the boards being bored late at night when i came across this thread. i used to own a 2002 wrx and regularly read the boards as 02subaruwrx. and thought i might comment on this now that i own a 2004 srt4. the thread may be old and no longer active but i thought maybe my 2 cents could help out. i was the guy someone was talking about a few postes ago about only loosing to an sti by about 5 ft and it is true. a good friend of mine (ybnormal7) scottie owns a stock sti that ran 12.96 with him at the wheel and to my traction limited 14.3 in my stock 2004 srt4. both him and i know the results from a stop but we wanted to try a roll. on the 3 honk and go system rom a 20-100, 40-100 and a 70-115 and in every race the sti got the win by about 5 ft. my nose was in the center of his door everytime. your welcome to read the thread that started it all with many details inside. as well as there is movie posted in another thread with a srt4 2003 with stage1 (same a stock 04) racing an sti. any other comments or ?'s i'd be happy to help out as much as possible. just trying to put a stop to the many misconseptions of the srt4. it's a drivers race from a roll against a stock sti in a strait line. which i can admit that is the only thing the srt can keep up with the sti on.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...g+to+be+racing
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Originally posted by 2004NeonSRT4
    i was just cruising around here on the boards being bored late at night when i came across this thread. i used to own a 2002 wrx and regularly read the boards as 02subaruwrx. and thought i might comment on this now that i own a 2004 srt4. the thread may be old and no longer active but i thought maybe my 2 cents could help out. i was the guy someone was talking about a few postes ago about only loosing to an sti by about 5 ft and it is true. a good friend of mine (ybnormal7) scottie owns a stock sti that ran 12.96 with him at the wheel and to my traction limited 14.3 in my stock 2004 srt4. both him and i know the results from a stop but we wanted to try a roll. on the 3 honk and go system rom a 20-100, 40-100 and a 70-115 and in every race the sti got the win by about 5 ft. my nose was in the center of his door everytime. your welcome to read the thread that started it all with many details inside. as well as there is movie posted in another thread with a srt4 2003 with stage1 (same a stock 04) racing an sti. any other comments or ?'s i'd be happy to help out as much as possible. just trying to put a stop to the many misconseptions of the srt4. it's a drivers race from a roll against a stock sti in a strait line. which i can admit that is the only thing the srt can keep up with the sti on.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...g+to+be+racing
    I hate to be the one to point this out, but the numbers still aren't working. ~230-240 whp with 5-speed keeping with ~250-260 whp with 6-speed doesn't add up. Sure, those results could be had once, but the STi has an absolute power and gearing advantage. The SRT4 IS underrated, by a lot, but the STi is a little underrated as well. I know how badly the SRT4 crowd wants their car to be the little car that could, and it IS a great car, but be realistic. At $20,000, the SRT4 is the best bang for the buck on the market, no doubt. Being underrated makes it even better. However, trying to say it can keep with or beat a car that has a lot more power and better gearing is ridiculous.

As I have said, REPEATEDLY, here and on the SRT forums, if there is a stock SRT4 in northern Alabama, I'd be happy to put this issue to rest. However, given this active offer, I've noticed a grand total of zero takers. Not one. Not even someone who thinks it would be interesting and knows someone with an SRT4. My offer does not stand much longer, as I've ordered a downpipe and it should be here next week.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

I Support ClubWRX
    Why bench race when the real life is right there in front of everyone? I'm the guy who ran the 2004NeonSRT4 from multiple 3 honk rolls. He hung with me pretty well at every try. No excuses, no whining. As you can tell by my sig, I can manage to run my car fairly well when I need to.

Find an 04 and run him. Bench racing with numbers is ok, but real life tends to be a little different.

I once posted the math for what an STi would do to an SRT4 in the quarter mile, as someone was disputing the number of car lengths. It actually worked out to about 10 car lengths (figure a low 100 mph trap speed for both, 1 second advantage for STi (13 sec vs 14 sec), 14.7 feet in length for the SRT4, and that equates to 147 ft/sec travel speed, which eqauls 10 SRT4 car lengths. You should have seen the BS I got plastered with over there.

To be honest with you, I do believe that an STi will take an SRT4 from a hole shot by +5 car lengths at least. Especially if you get rid of the crap in the car before hand (I was running with 2 drawer full of files in my trunk...which I wasn't aware of at the time).
    The one SRT4 I've managed to run in the quarter...well...it was a bit embarassing..at LEAST 10 car lengths...but I was told the guy spun through 3 gears on the launch.

BTW...good kill to the original thread starter!!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Originally posted by YBNormal07
    Why bench race when the real life is right there in front of everyone? I'm the guy who ran the 2004NeonSRT4 from multiple 3 honk rolls. He hung with me pretty well at every try. No excuses, no whining. As you can tell by my sig, I can manage to run my car fairly well when I need to.

Find an 04 and run him. Bench racing with numbers is ok, but real life tends to be a little different.

I once posted the math for what an STi would do to an SRT4 in the quarter mile, as someone was disputing the number of car lengths. It actually worked out to about 10 car lengths (figure a low 100 mph trap speed for both, 1 second advantage for STi (13 sec vs 14 sec), 14.7 feet in length for the SRT4, and that equates to 147 ft/sec travel speed, which eqauls 10 SRT4 car lengths. You should have seen the BS I got plastered with over there.

To be honest with you, I do believe that an STi will take an SRT4 from a hole shot by +5 car lengths at least. Especially if you get rid of the crap in the car before hand (I was running with 2 drawer full of files in my trunk...which I wasn't aware of at the time).
    The one SRT4 I've managed to run in the quarter...well...it was a bit embarassing..at LEAST 10 car lengths...but I was told the guy spun through 3 gears on the launch.

BTW...good kill to the original thread starter!!
    I'd really race if there were any takers. My offer has stood for MONTHS, but no takers. Not even nibbles of interest. That alone says something. The offer can't stand much longer, as the downpipe is on the way and once installed, my car obviously won't be stock. If someone will run and prove common sense wrong, I'll stand corrected and say so too. If no one will run, those results speak for themselves and it's settled.

RN

I Support ClubWRX
    kewl.....
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Originally posted by Mili727
    Yeah I hear Insurance companies were getting pissed about that.
    I'll bet, these cars fold like a pancake in a accident.

-Jim

kewl.....
    At the track this weekend there may be a stock SRT4. I can run him on the track if that can provide any comparison. All friendly runs, of course. I might be able to talk him into a highway roll...dunno though. Only problem is I'll have a minimum of one passenger, probably more, plus all the stuff we take with us, ranging from a cooler to camera equipment and the mandatory 200 CD case.

RN

It is a FACT that stock 03' and 04' SRT-4s can hang very well with a stock STI from a roll. Why? because there have been many real life accounts showing such. You can talk about the aggressive geared 6 speed tranny and 250awhp all you want but a stock STi is still crossing the traps at 99-102mph. That's about the same mph stock 03' and 04' SRT-4s are trapping.

We already know a stock STi will own a stock SRT-4 from a stop pretty easily. It should be knowledge that it's a world of a difference from a roll between the two. I can see how it would be difficult for STI owners to admit that .
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

dont forget that its not just about horsepower....torque is just as important for acceleration.....and srts have more torque than hp....a typical srt with 230 - 240 horsepower should have over 260 lbs of torque...to the wheel.....anybody know what sort of torque at the wheels a stock sti has?....

Last edited by bent_halo; 01-09-2004 at 02:29 PM.

Originally posted by renichms
    I saw the 248 dyno and that was the one that wasn't adjusted. It was later stated that the adjusted numbers were around 230. I'm not seeing a 5-speed with 230 whp keeping with a 6-speed with 250+ whp. The numbers don't work.

RN

vishnu dynoed a stock sti at 218hp at the wheels......

heres a link for anybody interested.....

http://www.vishnutuning.com/welcome.htm

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Shaitiger
    ..... You can talk about the aggressive geared 6 speed tranny and 250awhp all you want but a stock STi is still crossing the traps at 99-102mph....
    damnit...mines defective...I don't trap at 99-102

Should I take it back and complain
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Originally posted by bent_halo
    vishnu dynoed a stock sti at 218hp at the wheels......

heres a link for anybody interested.....

http://www.vishnutuning.com/welcome.htm
    And God dynoed 250. 255 with water spray, 258 without intake silencer. One company yanked the engine and the engine dynoed at 311. The STi does not lose as much power through the drivetrain as you seem to want it to.

RN

damnit...mines defective...I don't trap at 99-102

Should I take it back and complain
    I also have a few 103+ time slips.

RN

Originally posted by renichms
    And God dynoed 250. 255 with water spray, 258 without intake silencer. One company yanked the engine and the engine dynoed at 311. The STi does not lose as much power through the drivetrain as you seem to want it to.

RN
    I like the sti.....why would I want it to lose power? Just offering some input....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast