E46 M3 vs STI, long.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on E46 M3 vs STI, long. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First off, i was the passenger in the M3 and everyone involved knows one another. We were on our way ...

E46 M3 vs STI, long.

First off, i was the passenger in the M3 and everyone involved knows one another.

We were on our way to boomers in dania beach(that story will come later) for some go kart mayhem. 3 passengers per car.

M3 passengers weights
    180-190

STI
    140-150
    150-160
    roughly 100(girl)

Drivers stats

M3- 21, raced in skip barber national series among many other racing programs.

STI- 16, no experience yet.

Car mods

M3-Exhaust(8whp), HRE 19's

STI- stock other then turbo timer

We raced twice from a 3rd gear roll (not sure of the speed). The race was done on I-95 in Ft lauderdale.

First race wasnt done by a wave etc, rather we were on opposite sides of the highway and the STI was up ahead of us by a few lengths. We drop to third and floor it, the STI obliges and away we go.

Initially were not making any gains, and then the STI starts to inch away from us, this un turn drives my M3 friend crazy all the while im laughing. This mainly pisses him off becouse he realizes that after my swap with the v.8 engine, i will be making about 40-50 more whp then the STI .

Second run we go from a 3rd gear roll again.
    This time we have our passenger in the M3 give the count by finger. The M3 slightly jumps the gun though. We keep going though and same conclusion. We were unable to make up any ground, instead we lost ground. The STI was even ****ing slower then we were, i saw when he went to 4th the car sat for a long moment then went.

So we give the thumbs up etc and continue to Boomers, where we discuss the race further.

Now comes time for the go kart mayhem that took place between us all.

The track is a 1-2 mile course that just weaves in and out, the karts are decent speed but nothing compaired to the shifter karts were used to. The rules of the track are as usual, no BUMPING, we dont like rules of this manner .

The 6 of us enter the track for what would become quite possibly the most reckless incident in boomers history. Imagine 6 drivers flying through tight corners with reckless abandon(my spelling sucks) for what happens when you collide.

We spent the entire time ramming one another and spinning eachother in the middle of corners with all the security yelling at us to stop our childish antics. This did not work, we were in too far to go back. I got spun in one of the corners and was firmly pressed against the wall with my front end, unable to get the car off the wall i started to get out to push it(not allowed), my friend on the other hand had other plans for my escape . He broadsides me at full speed, throwing my car back onto the track and going straight with my legs flying all over the place from the sudden and violent impact. At this point we are only 1/3 through the track. The carnage only got worse.

We continued the crash and burn race with many impacts and slides. At one other point i was spun again and stuck, i then yelled for my same friend to ram the front of my car, i was hit so hard i thought he broke the steering, which he sorta did , it was hard to steer the rest of the way. When we pulled into the pits etc they yelled at us and kicked us out. Tonight we plan to go back and do it again . It was great fun, we then headed back to our friends house, had some rootbeer, farted, burped, defacated in someones yard(and left the toilet paper), then came home at 6am and slept till 2pm.

Thats my night, twas fun.

-John
    "Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain"-DMB

Liquid - "yes sticky! hes a god now!"

02 WRX now JDM V8 STI (too many mods for my own good)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

good runs, i would have imagined the exact opposite - that the M3 would slowly pull up top
    by the way, what do you mean by 02 wrx now JDM V8?
    what V8 subaru swap are you referring to? my friends with rex's would be very interested to know
    95 GSX - GT30R

Originally posted by HighPsiAwd
    good runs, i would have imagined the exact opposite - that the M3 would slowly pull up top
    by the way, what do you mean by 02 wrx now JDM V8?
    what V8 subaru swap are you referring to? my friends with rex's would be very interested to know
    he's referring to the version 8 sti. which is the most recent sti revision from japan.

Originally posted by el~sharko
    he's referring to the version 8 sti. which is the most recent sti revision from japan.
    Bingo

The one time I was involved with a M3 E46 vs STi race, the M3 out pulled the STi by about 1.5 cars from about 75-80 to almost 120 mph, and I think the gap would be larger if we had continued up to 130mph+

The STi was only the driver while the E46 M3 had me inside as the passenger. I don't know if the STi was tuned, but the E46 M3 was/is stock.

But this race sounds about right because the M3 was carrying almost 250 pounds more weight than the STi at almost 3900 pound vs the STi's 3650, and the E46's top end advantage countered the STi's midrange advantage. Midrange torque helps a lot!!!

Originally posted by sgv_subby
    The one time I was involved with a M3 E46 vs STi race, the M3 out pulled the STi by about 1.5 cars from about 75-80 to almost 120 mph, and I think the gap would be larger if we had continued up to 130mph+

The STi was only the driver while the E46 M3 had me inside as the passenger. I don't know if the STi was tuned, but the E46 M3 was/is stock.

But this race sounds about right because the M3 was carrying almost 250 pounds more weight than the STi at almost 3900 pound vs the STi's 3650, and the E46's top end advantage countered the STi's midrange advantage. Midrange torque helps a lot!!!
    The M3 had about 120lbs against it becouse we weighed more, but the M3 also had about 1/4 tank of gas while the STI had a full tank.

So it was very close with weight etc with a little bit of extra weight in the M3(excluding the cars weight).

Also with your race, you have to question the other driver. This was a controlled race where we knew the capabilities of each driver, and the better driver was in the M3 while the STI driver is not very good(needs more time behind the wheel).

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.