STi vs. E46 M3...real world comparison..from a ROLL...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on STi vs. E46 M3...real world comparison..from a ROLL... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey ya'll. Just raced a E46 from a ~20mph roll last night. I have a TXS stealth back mated to ...

STi vs. E46 M3...real world comparison..from a ROLL...

Hey ya'll. Just raced a E46 from a ~20mph roll last night. I have a TXS stealth back mated to a Prodrive axelback and a perrin drop in filter with the intake silencer removed and he is stock.

He got the intial jump on me by about 1/2 car length.
    By 4th gear i had pulled on him and he was now 1/2-3/4 car length behind me. By 6th gear he had evened up with me and was snailing(literally) his way ahead. This was at about 130mph. Just what i expected due to my AWD and his autobahn tuned animal. I cut off because speeds were getting ludicrous and the fact i don't have my stock tires on but snow tires. They are V-rated though but it didn't matter, they don't feel confidence inspiring at those speeds.

Anyway, the 2 cars couldn't be more evenly matched. Any of you STi guys, race a M3 because it really is a perfect match. Both sweet cars. I really wanted to go from a stop to but he had to go home. We all know what the outcome of that would be though

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: STi vs. E46 M3...real world comparison..from a ROLL...

Originally posted by gills
    Anyway, the 2 cars couldn't be more evenly matched. Any of you STi guys, race a M3 because it really is a perfect match. Both sweet cars. I really wanted to go from a stop to but he had to go home. We all know what the outcome of that would be though
    Correction, a BPU STi vs. a stock E46 M3 is an even match from a roll. A free-flowing exhaust on a WRX or STi greatly affects top end performance.

I'm glad you had fun. If you would have been bone stock the M would have walked you pretty easily, especially up to 130mph. Keep up the good work.
    Last edited by Shaitiger; 01-01-2004 at 01:56 AM.
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

J-H
    That is crazy!!! I can't believe the STI can hang with an M3...I got a run against one of those and it was just bad....especially in the 100mph+...

JH

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice post! I know folks get shocked about the comparion between the 2 cars, but the are very evenly matched. Wanna know whats really cool? With equal drivers, an STi will hand an M3 it's ass on a road track. Been there and done that, all though I can't profess to the equal drivers portion of that testament. There were three new M3's there that day though, and I went by every one of them!! ~ducks under flame proof cover~
    And you are correct about from a dig too of course. Best I've seen an M3 do at the 1/4 is 13.4, and oddly enough, that was with the SMG. (correct sp??)

Cheers.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Originally posted by YBNormal07
    Nice post! I know folks get shocked about the comparion between the 2 cars, but the are very evenly matched. Wanna know whats really cool? With equal drivers, an STi will hand an M3 it's ass on a road track. Been there and done that, all though I can't profess to the equal drivers portion of that testament. There were three new M3's there that day though, and I went by every one of them!! ~ducks under flame proof cover~
    And you are correct about from a dig too of course. Best I've seen an M3 do at the 1/4 is 13.4, and oddly enough, that was with the SMG. (correct sp??)

Cheers.
    you can check bimmerforums.com or e46fanatics.com for 1/4 numbers. e46 M3 w/ manual people have run ranging from 12.8-13.5 all depending on the driver. The SMG however will give you constant time around 13.4-13.6 depending on track/weather/etc conditions. BUT on the track, the SMG will be quicker than the manual and turn in better lap times.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

US STi is awesome btw, but I somehow wish it had came w/ the true to WRC tradition 2.0 liter engine instead of 2.5 liter.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    sweet! Those m3's are very fast!
    2003 SRT-4

Re: Re: STi vs. E46 M3...real world comparison..from a ROLL...

Originally posted by Shaitiger
    Correction, a BPU STi vs. a stock E46 M3 is an even match from a roll. A free-flowing exhaust on a WRX or STi greatly affects top end performance.

I'm glad you had fun. If you would have been bone stock the M would have walked you pretty easily, especially up to 130mph. Keep up the good work.
    You are very right about the exhaust opening up topend. If i was stock he would've got me no doubt but not by that much. I still think a stock STi could hang very nicely though. Again, if anyone ever gets a chance to race one, do it. Good fun!

Hmm.. I was able to have a 1/2 car length lead on a stock (looking) STI with my Cobb Stage 2+ WRX.

This brings up interesting possibilities. Maybe I can approach my E46 M3 friend and ask him to race me, without losing face after the race.
    Platinum WRX Wagon Cobb Stage2
    TXS stealth back/UP with custom Magnaflow muffler
    whiteline adj rear sb, whiteline Antilift kit, whiteline rear strut brace, front strut brace, MRT lightened pulley
    No more AEM Cai ! , 3/16 mod, Grounding mod, Kartboy SS and bushing, Autometer 3 gauge pack and A-pillar

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.