Played With A NSX today!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Played With A NSX today!!!! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was going to my parents house today on 280 north. I was going around 75mph and I am in ...

I Support ClubWRX

Played With A NSX today!!!!

I was going to my parents house today on 280 north. I was going around 75mph and I am in the fast lane. I see something black coming up, hoping to see a Ferrari or something. It was a black NSX. So I pulled out of the fast lane and let him go by. He went by me at around 85mph. SO I thought to myself, lets see if I can hang with him for a while.

So I punched it in 5th and got behind him to see if he wanted to play. So he started pulling away from me. I downshifted into 4th and instantly caught up to him. We got up to about 115-120mph and then had to slow for traffic. I never tried to get on the side of him. There were a few cars on the road and I don't want to cause accidents. So we slowed to about 70mph. He took the other lane and took off. I was satisfied to keep up with him for as long as I did so I just kept on cruising. It was pretty fun, and I could see him the whole time glancing in his side mirrors to see if I was still there. If we had a clear lane I know HE would have taken me. That's okay, at least I kept up with a $85,000 car(when they came out, don't know how much they go for now).

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

he wasn't flooring it.
    Originally posted by AbACUZ
    im new in here, I am AbACUZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No where, is my style diferent, yes, I am AbACUZ.

Originally posted by TurboWRX
    he wasn't flooring it.
    true, and he was going 120miles/hour and never wanted to cause an accident. sorry, but going that fast on public streets is wrong.

Originally posted by mark
    true, and he was going 120miles/hour and never wanted to cause an accident. sorry, but going that fast on public streets is wrong.
    yeah it is. i'm just saying, an NSX would rape a WRX on the freeway (or any form of race for that matter)

Depends what year NSX.

yeah it is. i'm just saying, an NSX would rape a WRX on the freeway (or any form of race for that matter)
    ya, thats true. they are fast, over-priced cars

NSX ain't worth jack s&^t on a dirt road

Originally posted by mark
    ya, thats true. they are fast, over-priced cars
    Couldn't stay quiet on this one.

True, new NSX's are pretty expensive, but not any more so than a 911. You can find really nice used ones in the 40K to 50K range.

It's also true that performance depends on the year. Pre-97, they had a 5 speed transmission and 270 hp. In 97 they were upgraded with a 6 speed and and additional 20 hp.

Remember, they are all aluminum and the engine contains titanium parts. That stuff is expensive. There is no other exotic (or Corvette or Viper) that has the comfort and reliability of an NSX. Porsche would be the only other contender. The NSX has a normally aspirated V6 (redlines at 8000 - very fun) yet it can hang with a whole lot of cars with bigger engines - pretty impressive.

There is no doubt my NSX is faster than my WRX (unless we get in snow or on a dirt road ) However, I don't think the performance gap between the two is huge.

Edit: One more thing - remember that an NSX is not a good straight line drag racer. It was built to be run on road courses (tarmac - not dirt). A Mustang or Supra with a bit of work can easily beat my NSX in a straight line - just don't expect to stay with an NSX when the asphalt gets twisty.

Matt
    Last edited by NSXForEver; 05-25-2002 at 09:01 PM.
    2000 Acura NSX
    Silverstone
    No Mods

2002 Subaru WRX
    WR Blue
    No Mods (except Rear Spoiler)

2001 Acura MDX
    Granite Green Metallic

nice collection of cars you have there, NSXforEver

Thumbs up

Originally posted by NSXForEver

Couldn't stay quiet on this one.

True, new NSX's are pretty expensive, but not any more so than a 911. You can find really nice used ones in the 40K to 50K range.

It's also true that performance depends on the year. Pre-97, they had a 5 speed transmission and 270 hp. In 97 they were upgraded with a 6 speed and and additional 20 hp.

Remember, they are all aluminum and the engine contains titanium parts. That stuff is expensive. There is no other exotic (or Corvette or Viper) that has the comfort and reliability of an NSX. Porsche would be the only other contender. The NSX has a normally aspirated V6 (redlines at 8000 - very fun) yet it can hang with a whole lot of cars with bigger engines - pretty impressive.

There is no doubt my NSX is faster than my WRX (unless we get in snow or on a dirt road ) However, I don't think the performance gap between the two is huge.

Edit: One more thing - remember that an NSX is not a good straight line drag racer. It was built to be run on road courses (tarmac - not dirt). A Mustang or Supra with a bit of work can easily beat my NSX in a straight line - just don't expect to stay with an NSX when the asphalt gets twisty.

Matt
    Yeah you got them all, you can choose the weapon of choice, NSX, REX, SUV hahahah
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

nice collection of cars you have there, NSXforEver
    Thanks - My wife usually drives the MDX. Once she learns to drive a manual transmission, I might have some competition for the WRX and the NSX.

My garage is pretty weak compared to some of the guys on the NSX forums. One guy has a 2002 NSX, a Ferrari F355, and a Ferrari Modena 360. Another guy has a Viper, an NSX, and a Supra. I think they are both younger than me.

Edit: Here is a post from NSX Prime with a picture of the NSX/Ferrari/Ferrari garage...

http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/004775.html

Matt
    Last edited by NSXForEver; 05-25-2002 at 11:11 PM.
    2000 Acura NSX
    Silverstone
    No Mods

2002 Subaru WRX
    WR Blue

2001 Acura MDX
    Granite Green Metallic

NSXForEver,

I'm actually very curious as to how fast a NSX really is, because they are such a lovely car.

From all the Best Motoring Videos and such, they ALWAYS say that the NSX is supreme in the 1/4 mile and on a long stretch of road it will walk the GTR R34 V-SPECs (but not N1 version).

It takes an EVO VII with AWD launch and about 250KW (officially only 206KW, or 280hp) to beat it in a straight line.

However, you are saying that the normal WRX feels very similar to the NSX's speed? Have you done any ET and trap speeds before with the NSX?

I thought the NSX Type-S does 1/4 in 12.9Xs.
    That's the same as a R34 GTR?
    Is that the same as your car?

Very curious.
    Because down here in Australia, the NSX is also only tested as a low 14 second 0-400m, which is not fast, but in Japan its considered the second fastest, after EVO VI and EVO VII.?

Thanks.
    "S15 Silvia - Are you enjoying the view from the side?"

I haven't done any real comparisons (trap speeds, etc.) between the two cars. I think it would be fun to line them up and see how they compare. I would need a volunteer to drive the NSX for the test because I would want to be in the WRX.

When I said they are similar I was refering to the overall feel of the acceleration. The funny thing about an NSX is that you don't really feel the acceleration. Another NSX owner explained it to me as being very constant as the RPMs increase. So it can be deceiving. For example, I drove a C5 Corvette the other day, and initially, I thought it felt much faster than my NSX. However, that's just a result of the extra torque. In reality, they have very similar performance numbers (not including the Z06 ).

Here are some numbers from a Car and Driver test from 97. All 97+ NSX's have the same performance characteristics (except the Zanardi edition in '99)

- 0-60 - 5.0 sec.
    - 0-100 - 12.0 sec.
    - 0-130 - 21.7 sec.
    - 1/4 mile - 13.5 sec @ 106 MPH
    - Top Speed - 168 MPH

I guess what I should have said is that the two cars have a similar fun factor even though they drive quite differently. The NSX has more power at lower RPM's since it doesn't have to rely on a Turbo. But, both cars can press you against the back of your seat. When I get into my WRX after driving my NSX around for a couple of days, I still feel like I am in a fast car. That's pretty impressive for a $24K car.

There are a lot of faster cars out there than an NSX. The reason I really like the NSX is because of the overall package - the precision steering, the looks, the build quality, etc. It's also very rare car down here in Southern Indiana. I have only seen one other NSX here in the last 10 years.

Hope that clears it up.

Matt
    2000 Acura NSX
    Silverstone
    No Mods

2002 Subaru WRX
    WR Blue

2001 Acura MDX
    Granite Green Metallic

I raced an NSX from a roll to about 130 with a 76 Porsche 930 (not my current car). I had about 4 car lengths on him by then. I wasn't too impressed.
    Keith
    79 Porsche 930
    07 Subaru WRX Wagon

Originally posted by Yargk
    I raced an NSX from a roll to about 130 with a 76 Porsche 930 (not my current car). I had about 4 car lengths on him by then. I wasn't too impressed.
    Have you ever driven an NSX? There's more to a car than acceleration. Again, the NSX is not a straight line dragster - it's designed to be run on a road course.

I don't think anyone can say a car is impressive or unimpressive until they drive it.

One of my friends (he drives a Chevy truck) laughed at my WRX until I handed him the keys and told him to drive it. After about 5 minutes in the car, he said "Wow, now I understand why you bought it!".

Matt
    2000 Acura NSX
    Silverstone
    No Mods

2002 Subaru WRX
    WR Blue

2001 Acura MDX
    Granite Green Metallic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast