WRX vs. BMW 760 Li

This is a discussion on WRX vs. BMW 760 Li within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; so I'm driving home, after a movie, with another friend, in my car. It was about 1:30 AM. I was ...

WRX vs. BMW 760 Li

so I'm driving home, after a movie, with another friend, in my car. It was about 1:30 AM. I was heading I-77north and saw these HID's approaching pretty fast. I was doing about 65mph, in the middle lane. As the car came closer, I saw it had angle-eyes, so I knew it was a BMW. But the eyes were far apart, so I'm thinking it might be a 7-series. After it passed me, the trunk confirmed it was the new 7-series, and it was also the 760 Li. I was like ****ing ****! I decided to speed up to see if he wanted to run...for ****s and giggles. I knew I didn't have a chance of winning against a 6 liter v12. I just wanted to run to see how I would hold up. I got up next to the guy, I'm on the fast lane, and he's next to me. Now we're both doing about 75-80mph. I looked over and couldn't see who was driving...this car was had like limo tint on it. I stayed next to him for about 20 seconds or so. He didn't want to run, so I proceeded to drive off, and make my way over to the right lane for a merge onto I-90West. I was still in the fast lane, and wanted to pass a car next to me. The 760 saw the car in his lane, and proceeded to move to the right lane. He is now about 3 car length behind me, 2 lanes over. I looked in my mirror to see if it's cleared to do my lane change. All of a sudden, I see the 760 approaching fast and passing me...he was maybe doing about 90mph. So I proceeded to catch up to see if he wanted to really run. So now I'm next to him, doing about 85-90mph, looking over to see if he wanted to go...nothing. So I speeded up to about 95-100mph and went to the right lane. He's still in the middle lane, and I'm on his right, about 2 cars ahead of the 760. I was waiting to see if he would be taking I-90West exit, but he continued on, taking I-77North. I contemplated on following him, but it was too late to change lane.

So I was confused. It seems like the 760 did a "fly by". Maybe he thought that I was racing him when I proceeded to pass him, when he just sat there, initially. Or maybe he just wanted to give me a head start? All I have to say is that street racing, with strangers on the roads, are just weird...you don't know what the other person is thinking.

on the way to the movie, we also saw an S55 AMG...that is one bad ass car!.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It was probably the driver of a Corvette that bought a bigger car in order to contain his enormous ego, or something along those lines...

Sometimes other drivers wait for the other guy to make the first move, whereas others will jump on it before you even realize what's happening. Others may be driving on a ticket already and won't play around too much for fear of getting busted again. And there are occassions where they have a significant other or kids in the car, and excessive high speed driving just isn't an option. And at that time of night, there is a higher percentage of people that are driving around intoxicated. Sometimes, you're better off not provoking them into a race... And unless you get a chance to talk, or make eye contact, it's difficult to tell what their intentions might be.

It's still always fun to run against another performance vehicle, though, just to see how we'll compare.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

You're 100% right.

The roads were pretty empty, so I figured why not. Plus that area is generally does NOT have cops waiting.

He/she (since I couldn't see the driver) wanted to play, after I initally passed the car. Bottom line is that you'll never know.