Rolled against my bud's SRT4 today
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Rolled against my bud's SRT4 today within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Here is the original thread over on the SRT4 forum: http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...229#post414229 Since my friend started the thread over there, I ...

I Support ClubWRX

Rolled against my bud's SRT4 today

Here is the original thread over on the SRT4 forum:
    http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...229#post414229

Since my friend started the thread over there, I figured I'd let him post the results.

But I guess I can post them on this board.

We decided that from a stop, we already new the results so the only thing to check was from a roll.

We did 3 rolling runs, 3 beeps on the horn to start.
    Run 1 was from 20, 2 was from 40, and 3 was from 80. In all of them, we had to slow down at around 110 due to traffic. In all 3, the SRT4 owner did the beeping. In all 3 runs, he got an initial lead of a foot or so, then dropped back to where I couldn't see him in my side mirror. In the first run, I got a peak at him in my rear mirror also.

So basically, the SRT4 hangs very well with the STi at speed. I wasn't very surprised as the specs justify this type of performance for the SRT4.

I asked Brad (the SRT4 owner) if he thought he was gaining on me towards the high end on the run from 80, and he said he thought so. So......we are going to do one more run on a desolate location to verify what happens at +100mph. Gotta give Mopar props. That is one helluva bang for the buck...and IMHO, not too bad looking either. Especially the WRB color

Got vid, but it's tape, and snarled, so I'm trying to salvage. If so, we'll post later.

Almost forgot...the only mods either of us have is a BOV (recirculating for me). I didn't verify it by looking under Brad's hood, but I trust him enough to tell me the truth. I also had a bunch of crap in the backseat and a trunk full of work files that I forgot about until after that race. I knew I had some weight in there, but not that much!! Probably would not have made that much of a difference anyways.

Caio,
    Scott
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm not suprised that the SRT-4 can hang with the STI that easily.

2.5L vs. 2.4L

Both can make great torque and horsepower and are proven to be great starting blocks for performance.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

nice run, but man... you really see the intelligence of the people on that board: "You kick the crap out of that overpriced 14 sec 1/4 mile mabey 300hp at the motor excuse of a Subaru on steriods!"

14 seconds? I believe some people have ran 12.8 and such stock (geez, the first post of the d### thread says his friend's STi ran a 12.9)... what fwd stock SRT 4 can do that? Besides APS dynoed 311.X hp anyways... so what the heck is up with that comment? Stupid...

Robert~
    Last edited by StaticX313; 12-27-2003 at 08:14 PM.
    Static X Motorsports, INC.
    A ChriSTIan Corporation

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah...that thread did get a little out of hand. From what I can tell, there a just a few owners on trolls over there that say crap just to start crap. Basically I ignore them as it is a waste of time to reply.

Again though, props to the SRT4. Great car! But we all know of course, that "official" races are either won from a standing start till you cross the finish, or dancing around the corners, and there is no question which car triumphs there!!! Then again...who am I kidding...there are always doubters. I'd be happy to take them on from a dig or at the road coarse!! In fact, I'm trying to convince my friend with the SRT4 to come to a Friday at the Track with me this spring. He thinks it won't hang but I'll bet it will be better than the majority of the cars out there.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

SRT-4s

I have 2 friends with SRT-4s (well one just traded his in). Have raced from stand still, to a roll at 20mph and 40mph. From a stop no problem I can take them. From a roll they will hang with you and if they get the jump on a roll will beat ya. Hardest part is getting an even roll test.

The one just traded his SRT-4 in for an '03 Lightning. Other is now a stage 1 with 55 shot.

No problem smoking the lightning off the line. From a roll is a different story. The lightning has some lag for some reason between 40-55mph. Did some runs last night and from a roll its pretty much dead even. I was admireing the whine of the supercharger while he was admireing the sound of my new HKS Carbon TI exhaust, but we were pretty much side by side from 35-85mph when we let off (was on public streets).

Have not had the chance to run the Stage-1 SRT-4 (with 55 shot) since he finished the package. Will hopefully be Jan 9th at the track (since 17 people got tickets for criminal trespassing where the street racing takes place on weekends). Just a bad spot to race I guess. Its a closed 4 lane street where a new plant is going in. First night there some kid flipped his Mazda 6 he only had just bought 3 weeks prior. Second night there 2 cars got stuck in the mud for trying to come in the back way and had to get a tractor to pull them out. 6th time there 17 people got tickets.

Coop

I've only run across one STi on the street, and he would only race me from a dig. After he handed me my a$$ in a hat, I asked him to go from a roll... he said "take it to the track" and I was like umm... ok. Traction is a major problem with our cars, and if you have mods forget it. Yeah, there are some idiots at SRTForums, but every site has that. The majority of us are pretty cool, somewhat knowledgable and have good taste in mods. Much respect to WRXs and STi's, a good friend of mine has an 03 Rex wagon in that cheez whiz yellow color. Need a few pics of our cars side by side
    03 SRT-4; Stage 1, WGA, 3" turbo back exhaust, Progress springs, 5Zigen MK5's with Kumho rubber, JDM squash air freshener.

The lightning has some lag for some reason between 40-55mph.
    No "lag" with a roots type blower. What your buddy is experiencing is torque reduction on the 1-2 up shift. The Ford ECU pulls fuel & timing on the 1-2 shift in order to save the tranny. A chip will cure this and the 1-2 shift becomes a tire smoking extravaganza. With a full list of mods my Lightning will even chirp the tires on the 2-3 shift at over 70mph.
    2004 STi silver/silver
    2001 BWM 330i
    2000 Ford Lightning 12.52 @ 108.1mph
    1999 Donzi ZX-33 (twin 600hp 502's)

Originally posted by Silver-Bolt
    No "lag" with a roots type blower. What your buddy is experiencing is torque reduction on the 1-2 up shift. The Ford ECU pulls fuel & timing on the 1-2 shift in order to save the tranny. A chip will cure this and the 1-2 shift becomes a tire smoking extravaganza. With a full list of mods my Lightning will even chirp the tires on the 2-3 shift at over 70mph.
    That plus the tranny modded valve body = HOLY SHI

Don't forget to bypass the boost dump, too

The Lightning PCM is a relatively 'dumb' box compared to the STi ECU and as a result the factory tune is VERY conservative. I picked up 50 rwhp and even more torque with an early PSP chip. Stock for stock, they're pretty close to the STi (or better if the STi has a bad driver) but they're a whole lot cheaper to upgrade. There sure don't seem to be many $300-$500 mods for the STi that net major gains and dont depend on getting other mods to correct their flaws *boost creep, ahem!* That said, I sho doo like how this STi turns

Originally posted by nathansvt
    The Lightning PCM is a relatively 'dumb' box compared to the STi ECU and as a result the factory tune is VERY conservative. I picked up 50 rwhp and even more torque with an early PSP chip. Stock for stock, they're pretty close to the STi (or better if the STi has a bad driver) but they're a whole lot cheaper to upgrade. There sure don't seem to be many $300-$500 mods for the STi that net major gains and dont depend on getting other mods to correct their flaws *boost creep, ahem!* That said, I sho doo like how this STi turns
    downpipe is a good bang for the buck mod. No boost creep problems there unless you buy that hks stuff.

Robert~
    Static X Motorsports, INC.
    A ChriSTIan Corporation

I am a bit suprised of the results. I thought the STi would have about 1-2 cars on the SRT-4. Anyways, mad props to the SRT-4....fast little car. I guess that would mean that a SRT-4 would take out an EVO from a roll.

If the 2004s supposedly make 230HP and 250 IB-FT at the crank what does itreally make at the crank? I would think at least 275 IB-FT for it to hang with the STi. I know it is about 400 pounds lighter than the STi.

SCOTT!! You and Brad decided to play and I wasn't invited? We all need to get together in the new year!! Did Tom run with you guys?

Good runs. I would like to run you in the STi when I get my 3" turbo back, which will be soon! (2 weeks!!)
    2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i [Bone Stock]
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 [303 hp/323 tq] - SOLD

hey if he's (*points to drizze*) in, then i'm in, too!
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

I Support ClubWRX
    Andre & Seth,
    We'll let you guys know the next time we do something like this. We try to keep the numbers down as it tends to attract more unwanted attention, but I'm sure we can accomodate something. You guys interested in a track day next spring? I'll be making arrangments soon.

Scott
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!

Originally posted by YBNormal07
    You guys interested in a track day next spring? I'll be making arrangments soon.
    Scott
    umm... gee... let me ponder.... ok i pondered. two words:
    hell
    yes

(as long as i can afford it)
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.