Zapix takes on... A Sport bike?!? A Suzuki Katana 600cc vs stock WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Zapix takes on... A Sport bike?!? A Suzuki Katana 600cc vs stock WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well, a friend of mine has a 600cc Katana. Pretty sweet bike. Been talking about some friendly racing. Nothing hardcore ...

Zapix takes on... A Sport bike?!? A Suzuki Katana 600cc vs stock WRX

Well, a friend of mine has a 600cc Katana. Pretty sweet bike.
    Been talking about some friendly racing. Nothing hardcore competitive. Nothing from a red light or anything like that. More should I say, some open highway play.

Well, I got out of work early today, and who do I run into on my way out? My friend with the bike! Soooooo!
    We're talking, and decide to hang out for a bit. He's got the bike with him, and obviously I have my daily driver! So, we decide to go to a local park. So, we hop on the highway and it was all fun from there on.

Really was hard to determine if the bike was really faster or not. I'm sure from a dead start, it would trounce me, but once moving... 2nd gear... Like 30mph and up, it was almost even if you ask me. I was shifting high to sqeeze out the car's power. Now idea about him though. Didn't ask. He didn't come back with any comments, "I screwed up" or "I wasn't even trying."

I'm gonna have to say though... Come spring time, when the roads aren't covered with sand and aren't so cold... Then he and I are probably going to have a match to see who's faster... And I mean in terms of handling. AWD WRX vs a 600cc sport bike. IMHO... It's too close a call for me to make. I don't know what he can do... but I know what I can do and my tire grip limits before the car plows like a FWD clunker.

Anyway, just thought I'd bring up... I'm getting a little over arrogant!

Silly Subaru! Bikes are for AWD Porsche 911 Turbos!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Your power mod is an MBC? Hmm, hard to believe that you could hang with any kind of sport bike. I had a CBR600F2 about 10 years ago, and it would have handed my Stage 2 WRX its a$$ in any contest of acceleration, at any speed. Well, the Katanas are sort of at the low end of the 600cc pantheon...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Well, I would certainly hope a sport bike would win!
    I know this isn't the last time he and I will play on the open road.
    It seemed wickedly fast though!
    Eitherway, it was fun, and a great way to top off my day.
    PS3/360 ID: Zapix

MIA Western Mass Impreza Club / MIA Connecticut Impreza Club

My 2002 WRB WRX

2003 Northeast Subaru Impreza Club Regional Meet

600cc katanas are in the realm of "quick" cars, bordering on "fast", so you should keep about even, depending on the rider, condition of the bike, and of course...cars are far more aerodynamic at speed.
    from a stop he'd probably kill you but launching a bike takes practice as well, and in the cold weather....involves risk.

zap, when it's warm and i ride my SV650 to CT you can race me
    (it only does 11s)

I Support ClubWRX
    In my riding days, a quicker 600cc sportbike could do a low 11 sec quarter; I assumed that even the slower katana could do 12's. That should be plenty of juice to eat up most mildly modded WRX's. Is the Kat even slower than that?

I guess you're right, though. At the end of the day, there can be any number of variables at work.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

i think the kat runs high 12s with a pro rider, which i'll say would be 13s with a normal rider. it's pretty heavy, and the motor isn't maxed out on performance. aside from being heavy, it's a good starter bike and an able commuter.

Are you saying that once I get around to modding my WRX, I'll be able to drive around with a bumper sticker that says, "I eat 600cc Suzuki Katanas for breakfast"?

Kats are very heavy to say the least. Something like 500 lbs wet. And yes, it was faster than any car I had come across...but I would get my arse handed to me by the 750 sport bikes. On the other hand, I used to commute over 80 miles/day on it and there was no comparison between it and the zx7 I'd ride. That one had you up on your wrists w/ a really stiff suspension. What u'd expect but pretty lame for the street. Really miss it and have been thinking of doing a track bike.

T.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.