Ran my friend in his Celica GTS
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Ran my friend in his Celica GTS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I had a chance to play around with my friend on the way back from a club(don't worry. I was ...

Ran my friend in his Celica GTS

I had a chance to play around with my friend on the way back from a club(don't worry. I was sober. ). We got on the freeway, and the road was pretty clear since it was 2 am.

By the way, he has an Injen intake on his car and had one passenger. I have a Godspeed uppipe, Samco IC hose, and Apexi AVCR @ 1.1, and I had 3 passengers in my car.

Ok, this is how it went down.

First, we went from 80 - 120ish. I heard him downshift(his intake is LOUD), and I downshifted into 4th. By the time I shifted into 5th gear, I was in front of him by like a car length.

We went again from 80 to 120ish. Again, I downshifted after I heard him downshift. but this time, I shifted into 3rd. When I was almost at redline in 4th gear, I was in front of him by like 2-3 car length.

Actually, I was surprised that I was able to catch up and pass him on the freeway. Considering that Celica GTS is known to be faster than a WRX on the freeway stock vs. stock, I'm pretty confident to say that those 3 mods are giving me pretty good power gains. So there you have it! Actual road test of those 3 components. They do work!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thumbs up

great run! the celica's are no slouch on the freeway. you even beat him with extra weight
    Originally posted by AbACUZ
    im new in here, I am AbACUZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No where, is my style diferent, yes, I am AbACUZ.

I raced one on the freeway as well

At the time all I had on was an intake and MBC. I had one passenger and he didn't. From the looks of his car, he had some suspension work and an exhaust. Regardless...from a 50mph roll, I just ran away from him. We went at it twice and the results were the same.
    Not to speak badly of the car, but I used to race my friend's GTS with my 99 prelude and I would take him every time.
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

Re: I raced one on the freeway as well

Originally posted by All8up
    At the time all I had on was an intake and MBC. I had one passenger and he didn't. From the looks of his car, he had some suspension work and an exhaust. Regardless...from a 50mph roll, I just ran away from him. We went at it twice and the results were the same.
    Not to speak badly of the car, but I used to race my friend's GTS with my 99 prelude and I would take him every time.
    maybe it was an auto GT-S? they're slow (trust me, i would know)
    im new in here, I am AbACUZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No where, is my style diferent, yes, I am AbACUZ.

Re: Re: I raced one on the freeway as well

Originally posted by TurboWRX

maybe it was an auto GT-S? they're slow (trust me, i would know)
    Or he can't drive. A gts will walk a 99 prelude. Especially from a roll. From a stop it is a different story...

Re: Re: Re: I raced one on the freeway as well

Originally posted by BamBooI

Or he can't drive. A gts will walk a 99 prelude. Especially from a roll. From a stop it is a different story...
    Not that my prelude was the fastest car around but it ran 14.7s @ 96mph.
    Last edited by All8up; 05-31-2002 at 05:08 AM.
    e46 M3 (new toy)

That is actually pretty imprssive on the GT-S part. Considering that he is using a boost controller and an uppipe. I think if this was a stock wrx, the turn out will be different.

Welps...

Auto GT-S are complete dogs, so if he was slightly hanging with you, it couldn't have been an auto...

It also depends on the year model... some 01's and all of the 02 Celicas have been neutered thanks to Toyota stupid marketing plan. The rev limit was dropped to like 7,600....tha'ts 700 rpms less than my limit on my 2000.

That translates into high 15's (even with the best of drivers) in the qtr mile, and makes 6th gear even more useless than it is.

2002 Celicas really suck compared to the 2000's....

As for the high end...I've raced both up to 120...one after the other..and my Celica does feel faster on the highway. Mind you, my WRX is stock, and I've got an intake, clutch, flywheel, and S-AFC on my Celi...

Oh..and what makes you think the 99 Prelude would own a GT-S from a dead stop....the Celica has a MUCH better HP to WEIGHT ratio than the Prelude...the Celi would actually do better from a stop, rather than a roll. Unless they're heavily modified, I haven't had a prob so far...

It's all about the driver...combined with the car...so your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by ArchangelX; 05-31-2002 at 04:37 PM.
    1993 RX-7 TT
    http://home.attbi.com/~archangle10/w...7/site1005.jpg
    SSP Pineapple Racing Rebuild/Stage 2 Oil/Rebuilt Tranny/HKS Downpipe/Apex-i PFCw/Commander/RB Dual SS Catback/ACT S/S Clutch/Resurfaced Flywheel/ASI AST/Fluidyne Radiator/Polished UIM/Throttlebody/Efini Y-Pipe/Silicone Hose Job
    Koni Shocks/Eibach Springs/Mazdaspeed Bushings/Brembo Dimpled/Slotted Rotors/G-Stop Steel Brake Lines/EBC Greenstuff
    Kenwood eXcelon Z919 CD-MP3/Infinity Kappa Perfect Sound System/2 JBL Power 360W Amps/2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect Subs
    Car Pics: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291149161
    Modification Pics: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291071767

2002 Subaru WRX
    FATT

GTS vs WRX

I dont know all the particulars but I do know one way the GTS beats the WRX. Its in stylin'!!! Other then that my Girlfriends GTS dosent have a chance. and to top it off... I can carry more groceries then she can.. heh heh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails subee and gts1.jpg  

Heheh...are you sure about the grocery thing?

Remember, the Celica is a hatchback, and the rear seats fold down making a huge trunk.

I can fit two Bandit 112's and a Satriani JS100 in the back of my car.

LOL..I'm such a stickler. Although I do agree on the styling, I just wish Toyota would have given it some more ballz to match it's race inspired exterior.

I think it should have came with at least 200hp...that would have been perfect I think, and wouldn't have added much more weight to the car.

ROTFL...I just checked out your pic...you never SAID YOU HAD A WAGON. Okayz...can't fugging argue with that point!! Nice ride!!

I wanted to buy the wagon for my wife, but amazingly she said she prefered the sedan.
    1993 RX-7 TT
    SSP Pineapple Racing Rebuild/Stage 2 Oil/Rebuilt Tranny/HKS Downpipe/Apex-i PFCw/Commander/RB Dual SS Catback/ACT S/S Clutch/Resurfaced Flywheel/ASI AST/Fluidyne Radiator/Polished UIM/Throttlebody/Efini Y-Pipe/Silicone Hose Job
    Koni Shocks/Eibach Springs/Mazdaspeed Bushings/Brembo Dimpled/Slotted Rotors/G-Stop Steel Brake Lines/EBC Greenstuff
    Kenwood eXcelon Z919 CD-MP3/Infinity Kappa Perfect Sound System/2 JBL Power 360W Amps/2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect Subs

2002 Subaru WRX
    FATT

Arch.

I told ya I had her on the grocery thing. I cant believe you would ever doubt a fellow subee owner. LOL. And because you thought my ride was cool lookin. I have enclosed yet another pic. This time of just my lil red wagon. Enjoy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails side-shot.jpg  

Wow..

That really is a sweet color. I wanted to get the Subie Blue color, but my wife wanted black...she said it looked more intimidating?

I've created a monster!!
    1993 RX-7 TT

2002 Subaru WRX
    FATT

Re: Re: Re: I raced one on the freeway as well

Originally posted by BamBooI

Also,
    The GTS is limited to 128mph, while the prelude will reach 140.

I really hope people understand that the weight to hp ratio is not the only measure of a car's acceleration capability. There is also an issue of gearing. You will have to put the GTS a few clicks past redline to ensure that you are still in the powerband for the next gear, from what I recall, even if you redline 3rd, you will fall out of the ideal range for 4th. By no means am I bashing the GTS, I actually really like Toyota products.
    e46 M3 (new toy)

Hehehe...

Dude...you need to drive the car...you're wrong on both accounts.

But that's okay, cuz I've done the same damn thing. I haven't driven a Prelude more than 3 days (friend let me borrow it), so sometimes it's hard to avoid the heresay.

The only difficulty most GT-S drivers have, is the 1st - 2nd shift. It takes quite a bit of practice to make sure that you stay within the lift. Every gear shift after that is total cake.

Plus, the GT-S is NOT, I repeat NOT speed limited at all. Well, I mean not in any physical lockout....6th gear doesn't have enough guts to give us any oomph, unless you've got a couple of extra modifications like intake & exhaust.

Me and the NorCal Celica crew (Praxis Racing) already found this one out, on a trip down to the Streets Of Buttonwillow for a track day.

Phewl reached about 152 mph, and even got a picture of it. I hit about 142 for a split second before I lost my nerve and dropped back down to 120.

Which is a speed that I normally travel at when I'm traveling back and forth to Las Vegas.

It is really strange to go 142 miles an hour in a car that weighs 2,500. I couldn't imagine doing it in a Miata or MR2. Scary ****. It's like you're floating.

You guys really need to test drive a broken in Celica to appreciate them a bit more.
    1993 RX-7 TT

2002 Subaru WRX
    FATT

Originally posted by ArchangelX
    Hehehe...

Dude...you need to drive the car...you're wrong on both accounts.

But that's okay, cuz I've done the same damn thing. I haven't driven a Prelude more than 3 days (friend let me borrow it), so sometimes it's hard to avoid the heresay.

The only difficulty most GT-S drivers have, is the 1st - 2nd shift. It takes quite a bit of practice to make sure that you stay within the lift. Every gear shift after that is total cake.

Plus, the GT-S is NOT, I repeat NOT speed limited at all. Well, I mean not in any physical lockout....6th gear doesn't have enough guts to give us any oomph, unless you've got a couple of extra modifications like intake & exhaust.

Me and the NorCal Celica crew (Praxis Racing) already found this one out, on a trip down to the Streets Of Buttonwillow for a track day.

Phewl reached about 152 mph, and even got a picture of it. I hit about 142 for a split second before I lost my nerve and dropped back down to 120.

Which is a speed that I normally travel at when I'm traveling back and forth to Las Vegas.

It is really strange to go 142 miles an hour in a car that weighs 2,500. I couldn't imagine doing it in a Miata or MR2. Scary ****. It's like you're floating.

You guys really need to test drive a broken in Celica to appreciate them a bit more.

I've driven the GTS on more than a few occassions, since then my friend sold the GTS for a Supra TT.
    The top speed part, I'm quoting SCC, they claim the car is gear limited to 128.
    Next point, let's theoretically say that the GTS can hit 140. I really hope that you do not think that a few bolt ons added 18mph. Lastly, note that factory speedometers are not accurate at high speeds.
    e46 M3 (new toy)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.