Me Vs Tubo Lexus Is300 - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Me Vs Tubo Lexus Is300 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i used to have an IS with i/h/e, and afc. The car was ****ing slow as ****. I believe the ...

i used to have an IS with i/h/e, and afc. The car was ****ing slow as ****. I believe the story, but i also believe that if it was turbo, it was either not tuned, running really low boost, or in the hands of a crappy driver. By the way, all the IS guys think their top end is so great...Believe me, it isnt. It's a real sissy straight 6. With a turbo, however, it can rival supra's.
    2004 R32: 220 whp

For Sale: 2003 wrx
    376 whp @ 22 psi, 93 octane

Pics:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/badassrex

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hehe..

All I know is the one I ran into before had no top end but I doubt it had a turbo either.

And how reliable are these engines once you slap a turbo on them?
    03' WRB WRX, 5spd
    AccessPort w/ VF34 (PDX Tuning map)
    Cobbtuning Intake
    TXS Catless StealthBack /w Stromung XA
    Nino's Uppipe
    Samco I/C Hoses

Originally posted by Cameron
    And how reliable are these engines once you slap a turbo on them?
    Originally posted by BassMan097 I believe the story, but i also believe that if it was turbo, it was either not tuned, running really low boost, or in the hands of a crappy driver. With a turbo, however, it can rival supra's. [/B]
    It's IS uses the 2JZGE engine. The supra is the 2JZGTE engine.
    The reason it rivals supras... A lot of people opt for the 2jzgte shortblock when turboing.

Originally posted by MidnightFLAT4
    [B

another thing i noticed on the road, was that the exhaust note on the IS300 sounds dramatically different from that of the supra. (higher and not as throaty) Im wondering if the different cam, and compression ratio makes for a higher note, or Is this due to the supra having the turbo impeller in the exhaust path?? [/B]

its a 1 jzge black with an NA head and a diffenrt cam degree
    if its not fast it better be a show car

I've always thought that the IS300 had pretty decent topend. I drive one quite a bit since my gf owns one. It always feels kind of peppy.

Just the other day I had an IS300 riding my ass on the freeway so when he finally decided to bolt by me I was waiting in third and punched it doing 65mph. He passed me up by about a car since he had the momentum but I quickly made up ground and kept pulling. I let up and waited for him again... he would fly by and then I would catch him and pull away. I think a total of 3 or 4 times. The guy just didn't want to give up.

I am pretty surprised since my car is pretty much stock, just a catback. I don't think much of my highway acceleration but I definitely know that the IS300's is worse

Turbo... now thats a whole 'nother story

Originally posted by 03WREX
    I've always thought that the IS300 had pretty decent topend. I drive one quite a bit since my gf owns one. It always feels kind of peppy.

Just the other day I had an IS300 riding my ass on the freeway so when he finally decided to bolt by me I was waiting in third and punched it doing 65mph. He passed me up by about a car since he had the momentum but I quickly made up ground and kept pulling. I let up and waited for him again... he would fly by and then I would catch him and pull away. I think a total of 3 or 4 times. The guy just didn't want to give up.

I am pretty surprised since my car is pretty much stock, just a catback. I don't think much of my highway acceleration but I definitely know that the IS300's is worse

Turbo... now thats a whole 'nother story
    lol sorry man but I have to dissagree with you

When I was stock...only catback exhaust. I raced a WRX with exhaust and nothing else done to it. We lined up on the highway at 60mph. He took off first and I caught up and got one car on him....I guess drivers make the difference? Maybe the IS300 was a bad manual driver.

I don't want to flat out say it but...well I will...IS300's have a better top end than WRX's. Off the line it's a different story.
    2003 Lexus IS300
    SRT Stage 2 Turbo
    320RWHP @ 8.7 PSI
    ...15 PSI this month!

I think it's also important to point out the major difference between manual and auto IS's. As an ex-IS owner, everyone used to ***** about how the auto's sucked compared to the manuals, and after drivng both, well, it was the truth. So always keep that in mind when you're racing one. And as for the top end of a stock to mildly modified IS, I still have to say it sucks. I mean, it just sucks. Don't get me wrong, I loved my IS, but without boost, its really a slow (albeit awesome looking) car

Pics:

Originally posted by BassMan097
    I think it's also important to point out the major difference between manual and auto IS's. As an ex-IS owner, everyone used to ***** about how the auto's sucked compared to the manuals, and after drivng both, well, it was the truth. So always keep that in mind when you're racing one. And as for the top end of a stock to mildly modified IS, I still have to say it sucks. I mean, it just sucks. Don't get me wrong, I loved my IS, but without boost, its really a slow (albeit awesome looking) car
    Well if the IS300 is considered terrible on the top-end then the WRX must be even worse. I know that after 60mph, WRX's suffer. I've experienced it myself when racing a VF23 Turbo WRX with Front mount. It was close in the beginning but once we got above 60 I pulled very hard. After 80 it was bad. Fourth gear pulls very hard on the IS which is why it's considered a good top end car.

Believe me, I've stayed glued on the back of a 360 Spyder on I-95 in Greenwich, CT with his exhaust absolutely roaring and me peeking at only 9.2 psi...60-120mph and slowed down cause of traffic. Also pulled a few cars on a C5 corvette on the highway...and I destroyed a supercharged 330i. All on the highway...

Even IS300's stock have great top end, which is why I even beat the wrx and i'm automatic...the WRX was automatic as well. The IS300 is a Up top car baby.
    2003 Lexus IS300
    SRT Stage 2 Turbo
    320RWHP @ 8.7 PSI
    ...15 PSI this month!

Like I said, you are boosted, so you dont apply A boosted IS is awesome, and I see how you could blow away a supercharged 330i and even stay with a ferrari. And I do agree with the crappiness of the wrx top end, without a doubt. However, that only applies to stock or vf series turbochargers. My PE1820 is stricly top end, not making boost until 4000 rpm, but pulls like a bastard all the way to redline. Same goes for the the Garret's, HKS, etc. It all depends on the turbo's being used. Any wrx owner can make his or her car have a great top end with the proper turbo, but, all else being equal, a car with a greater displacement will have a greater top end. You better post some dyno's when you tune with 15psi. I wanna see that beast!

P.S. I see that you're located in westchester. Do you ever go to the street races at spring valley??
    Last edited by BassMan097; 02-19-2004 at 06:43 PM.

Pics:

I'll be dynoing at xx tuning sometime next week. Hoping for around 380 rwhp.

I don't go there for street racing...I actually don't go to organized illegal street races. But March 6th i'm going to E-Town for their first event!
    2003 Lexus IS300
    SRT Stage 2 Turbo
    320RWHP @ 8.7 PSI
    ...15 PSI this month!

Hello over here. I bet I have some topend for you Running on maxed out injectors and at only 17psi of boost (normal is 19) I stuck neck and neck with a Porsche 911 turbo (94) from 50 -130. IS is a great little car never had the chance to drive or race one yet but I think it would be fun. Jst don't think every WRX has no top end.
    320hp/306tq 20g Powah

Originally posted by lil' IS 300
    lol sorry man but I have to dissagree with you

When I was stock...only catback exhaust. I raced a WRX with exhaust and nothing else done to it. We lined up on the highway at 60mph. He took off first and I caught up and got one car on him....I guess drivers make the difference? Maybe the IS300 was a bad manual driver.
    I honestly don't know if it was a manual or auto that I raced but either way... I don't think it takes a "good" driver to know how to race on the freeway. Pretty simple, stomp on the gas pedal, not much else to worry about besides choosing what gear to start.

Like I said before, I'm not impressed w/ the IS's topend (nor mine for that matter). I really don't know how much a difference an auto and manual would be on the freeway but either way, I pulled enough to where a manual might have made it a little closer but I doubt it would've pulled a car on me.

I've seen them at the local track doing some pretty crappy times. Could be just crappy drivers but I usually see 1/4 mile times in the mid to low 15's. Definitely a nice car to look at but I think the IS is ready for more power out of the box. It's underpowered for its price class. A G35 coupe is a much better deal and offers much more power. I think its time for Lexus to bring the IS430 into production. Now that will be a real beast!

a highly tuned wrx (i.e. 300 whp+) will still be able to handle the IS430. Perhaps from a 80mph roll to 130 the IS430 would have an advantage, but basically all it is is the gs motor and perhaps the supra 6 speed trans. It's numbers are gonna be almost identical to an m3 and thats going to be its major competitor. Just goes to show you how superior BMW is to Lexus. Even if Lexus does decide to bring this car onto the market, its still going to be slightly inferior to a smaller, 6 cyl motor. If Lexus/Toyota really wants to make a mark, they should bring the supra back, or perhaps make a new one. I still ssay the best ang for your buck would be to boost an IS. You get the performance of a supra with the looks and comfort of the IS. Pretty pricey though...

Pics:

There is no is430. Only the one rod millen built.

Of course there is no is430. But I did see the special on the one that rod millen built, and the specs and numbers are almost identical to that of an m3. Thats what I was basing my argument on. Im sure that if it does go into production, it will be similar in performance to Rod Millen's, but I dont know what the styling will be like. I can't imagine how lexus could pussify what RMM did, maybe they can make them all automatic...If they leave it alone it will be a nice japanese competitior for the m3

Pics:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.