Grand Prix
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Grand Prix within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Man, I am pretty mad...Just saw a Grand Prix commercial. WTF!!! It starts of with a mitsubishi lancer and the ...

J-H

Thumbs down Grand Prix

Man, I am pretty mad...Just saw a Grand Prix commercial. WTF!!! It starts of with a mitsubishi lancer and the voice over reads: what drives a man to own a car like that, how about some style, power... WTF!!!! Why is pontiac comparing the GP to the Lancer!!!!! ???? I can't believe it.....how about they put it against the EVO, huh? It would rip that POS GP a new A-whole....c'mon people were is common sense...

sorry about the rant, but I had to do it.....

JH

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

so wait, pontiac was verbally bashing mistubishi?? is that even legal? i agree though, lancers should be compared to civics and foci and stuff, not a GP.
    03, wrx, aspen white, K&N drop in filter, for now waitin for warranty to go bye bye.

J-H
    Originally posted by snict
    so wait, pontiac was verbally bashing mistubishi??
    Yes, yes, yes.....

They were making fun of the "boxy" looking, underpowered mitsubishi lancer. My point is that these a-wholes at pontiac (let their ad agency) had the guts to use a basic model lancer to brag about the "suberb" styling of the GP and it's powerful V6. BTW, according to them it is the most powerful in its class.

I'll bet that they will hear something from Mitsu.....

EVO drivers, please SMOKE every GP you see on the street...

JH

I Support ClubWRX
    I saw that commercial too. I thought it was sort of funny, but I see where you're coming from.

Pontiac styling, in general =

What's funny is that a Ralliart Lancer (cheaper than a GP) will out accelerate a GP (according to Motor Trend). I think it looks better also. Pontiacs have all the sophistication of a Walmart greeter. However, I do love LS1-equipped Pontiacs!
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

New Grand Prix=
    2004 Grand Prix CompG
    Fully loaded w/Appreance Package.
    Wizaired CAI

it seems like car companies are doing that now, VW mentionsed BMW, MB and lexus in thier phaeton commercial. lol, and kia amanto or something compared it to a MB, jag, and lexus, quite funny though, looks like a E/s-type

What the hell kind of crap is that, that would be like subaru comparing our cars to a geo metro, and then making fun of it.
    Pontiacs suck...I had a grand prix as a rental last year when my car was stolen, and I returned it after a few days it sucked so bad! The exterior and interior looked like klingons designed it, WTF!
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

Maybe they should've shown a bland Ford Taurus or something driving down the road. I'll admit, stupid commercial to compare it in any way to a plane jane Lancer. They need to fire the idiot who came up with that commercial. BTW, I join you all in my dislike of the styling of the '04 GP.
    Dave
    '01 GTP 4-dr
    Best ET: 13.490 @ 103.51
    2.115 sec. 60'
    Basic mods

i think thats crap. its like the a 200lb grade school bully pushing over a 2 year younger kid into the mud. the bully thinks he looks good, but everyone is just shaking their head at the arrogance.

also, what the hell kinda car IS IN the gp class. all i hear is wider is better, "it outperformed all other cars in its class"

my mom has a gp and she hates it. the car blows. i can think of several sedans in its price range that are faster and handle better, with better gas mileage, and better reliability.

new v6 accord. - better in all catagories
    nissan maxima - better in all catagories
    nissan altima 3.5 V6 - better in all catagories
    acura TL - better in all catagories (maybe a little pricier)

I could go on forever, but those are just cars that are similar in class luxery/sport.

i dont know what would posess someone to buy a GP when so many other cars are available. also, when pontiac talks about it beating all other cars in class.... thats with the top of the line comp G/GTP take a base SE model GP and i dont think its that much better than a base oz rally lancer. it may have higher hp and tq, but its not really much faster as far as i know, and i doubt it handles better. my g/f base corolla handles better than my moms WIDETRACK!! grandprix boat.

sorry for the rant. this stuff just gets me worked up.

Originally posted by DTR maxima

i dont know what would posess someone to buy a GP when so many other cars are available.
    Only real reason I bought mine was due to the fact that I got 0.9% for 60 mo. financing and got a heck of a deal on the car. Plus, I knew that modding it was cheap and gave great gains, which it does. Now I've got an automatic 4-dr sedan that can hang with some stock LS1's, Evo's, etc...

I'll admit, the quality's not too great, but it's really not that bad. At least MINE is not that bad. 30K and no troubles. Yes, there are many much better cars out there, and unfortunately Pontiac went backwards with the '04. Let's just say I won't be buying one.......
    Dave
    '01 GTP 4-dr
    Best ET: 13.490 @ 103.51
    2.115 sec. 60'
    Basic mods

Yeah I'll throw in on this topic now.......The commercial is stupid, they should have kept it to there own class...domestic oversized, over priced!

i dont know what would posess someone to buy a GP when so many other cars are available
    Hmmm since I own a GP I must be a RETARD!! I have no idea why your moms GP is such a POS, she obviously has a SE with the base 3.1L engine that has a total whopping HP of 150 or 160. I can tell you, that my GP with just a normally asperated 3.8L runs the 1/4 in 15 flat(consistently) and turned in some damn good AutoX times....with the stock suspension and only a Front and Rear STB, and some Potenza RE950s.

I understand there is alot of anti-domestic sentiment on this board...as there is on any import board. But don't make mindless generalizations about a certain car if you haven't driven the top of the line model.

Also you may want to recheck all your cars listed for gas mileage...since a Grand Prix GTP will average about 30MPG on the highway!

As far as reliability....hmmm 119K miles and only three problems:
    48K miles Alternator died
    69Kmiles Drivers side speed sensor died(water got into the wire harness)
    84K miles Water pump was starting to leak so I replaced it.

All of these cost UNDER $1000....not to bad for 7 years and 119K miles!!
    Stock or something close to it.....

To sit there and compare a rental GP to a GTP is asinine....Two COMPLETELY different cars. Why would I buy a GP over a Max? Because the last time I was looking at the new Max's they are butt ugly (even compared to the new GP's) and the fully loaded one on the lot was 32k! While I don't agree with the commercial, don't act like Nissan is god compared to the GP. They are not better in all catagories...... I have yet to lost to a Max or Altima street or track(yes I have raced a few). I have 37,xxx miles and 0 problems and the 3.8 is a very fuel efficient engine. Another thing, the GP mods alot easier than the Nissan's or Honda's.
    2004 Grand Prix CompG
    Fully loaded w/Appreance Package.
    Wizaired CAI

Originally posted by soon2BWRXd
    Yeah I'll throw in on this topic now.......The commercial is stupid, they should have kept it to there own class...domestic oversized, over priced!

Hmmm since I own a GP I must be a RETARD!! I have no idea why your moms GP is such a POS, she obviously has a SE with the base 3.1L engine that has a total whopping HP of 150 or 160. I can tell you, that my GP with just a normally asperated 3.8L runs the 1/4 in 15 flat(consistently) and turned in some damn good AutoX times....with the stock suspension and only a Front and Rear STB, and some Potenza RE950s.

I understand there is alot of anti-domestic sentiment on this board...as there is on any import board. But don't make mindless generalizations about a certain car if you haven't driven the top of the line model.

Also you may want to recheck all your cars listed for gas mileage...since a Grand Prix GTP will average about 30MPG on the highway!

As far as reliability....hmmm 119K miles and only three problems:
    48K miles Alternator died
    69Kmiles Drivers side speed sensor died(water got into the wire harness)
    84K miles Water pump was starting to leak so I replaced it.

All of these cost UNDER $1000....not to bad for 7 years and 119K miles!!
    I did not mean to offend you, i hardly think that you are retard but dont sit there and tell me about MY mindless generalizations when you are the one that is talking about which you do not know of.

my moms current car is an SE. A 99' 3.8L SE. The pervious car was a 97' 3.8L GTP. so i have driven "top of the line". Both cars were not very well built at all. They both did real well upto about 80k miles and then one thing after another started to go wrong.
    I also ask that PLEASE show me a time slip of your stock n/a grandprix running a 15 flat in the 1/4 mile.
    I am not a domestic basher either, i just dont think they are built nearly as well as most japanese cars, and i think almost anyone can back me up on this. i did not mean to offend you, but please dont go making stupid remarks telling me the car must have been a 3.1L when it was a 3.8L and she previously drove the "top of the line" GTP.

GTP GATOR: I have owned 2 maximas and although looks may be subject to opinion, the maxima is better built, and more powerful, and this comes from a .3 liter less engine, and without a s/c. IMO theres no como between a max and GP. I did not state that nissan is god, but i do think its better than pontiac. and not all cars i named were nissan.

i guess this debate is a matter of opinion. i was just going of off much experience.

I NEVER said I was dead stock, I hae a full 3" exhaust, and a Custom CAI.....thats IT! I'll have to look, there used to be a video of my car running 15.08@90.xx My best time to date is 15.031@91.11...of course that was 2 years ago, and currently I have sold everything except the full 3" exhaust....

Well sorry I was mistaken about your moms POS GP, I was unaware that the GTP was that much of a POS. The interior is not as nice as Japenese cars....I cannot stand it myself...especially the LARGE plastic dash peice I can tell you one thing, of all the Maximas, and Accords that I test drove when my GF was car shopping, the GP FAR exceeds them with off the line power...manily because of the 280 lbs/ft of torque. And do I even have to metion torque steer? the maxima is almost impossible to control when mashing the gas...but yet it has less torque throughout the power band.

I guess peoples opinions are diffrent when it comes to imports and domestics...I like both....some people can't stand domestics, and others can't stand imports....oh well.
    Stock or something close to it.....

The only Gran Prix I've ever driven was, I think, an SE, I'm sure the GTP is much more than that POS. But what kills me about those cars is they call it "widetrack" when it is only like 1" wider than an Accord which is certainly no wide track car. I'm not trying to bash anyone's ride, just venting.

If Pontiac would just make that car RWD and give it a real manual tranny, instead of that tap shift crap, I'm sure it would be one bada$$ ride. It would give the japs a run for their $$$, I just don't understand american automakers these days.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast