Grand Prix - Page 3
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Grand Prix within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Breaking News!!!!! I saw the same commercial today But guess what???? The lancer is GONE!! Do these people hear what ...

J-H
    Breaking News!!!!!

I saw the same commercial today But guess what???? The lancer is GONE!!

Do these people hear what we talk about? Or did they just fire the guy that had this brilliant idea, did they realize that it was plain stupid ....

JH
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I know for a fact that some top Pontiac officials, including the CZAR himself(Bob Lutz) frequently visit Pontiac, and GM sites to see what the public thinks of new cars and concepts, and what they are doing in the aftermarket for the production cars to see if they can incorporate anything into them.

But maybe they realized it was just plain stupid and axed the ad because you are compairing to cars that are completly diffrent...who knows what they were thinking but at least they had the sense to get rid of it!
    Stock or something close to it.....

Originally posted by snict
    so wait, pontiac was verbally bashing mistubishi?? is that even legal? i agree though, lancers should be compared to civics and foci and stuff, not a GP.

AHAHHA "FOCI" I've never heard that one before. LOLZ

the 97-03 GTP coupe did not look to bad. with a hood and exhaust they look really agressive. Although i dont think that justifies the rest of the car. reliability is not TERRIBLE, but its not good in any way, and refinement is a laughing joke.

i really dont mean to offend anyone here, i am just speaking my mind, as are you. I have 3 friends with modded GTP's, and yes they can be made fast with little money, but reliability is the trade off. as far as being a fast car stock, i dont think that a 3.8L V6 with a supercharger that runs a 15flat is anything to brag about.
    if they would have just offered a manual tranny i think it would be a more popular car with enthusiests

To those that own one, more power to you, if you enjoy your car... then thats all that matters

uke
    Minor nit, stock GTP's run about 14.7/14.8 stock, with a few factory freaks running mid to low 14's stock, not too far from stock WRX's /end nitpick

Personally I really like the '04 GTPs. The 97-03s only edge in my mind is the coupe, and the fact its probably lighter.

The '04s are cleaner looking, have more power and features

The 04's interior is one heck of an improvement as I never cared too much for the speedo/tach treatment of the pre-04 cars. Plus I think in '01 they dropped the digital dual climate control for the tackier slide style control.... bad move IMHO.

The only thing I am disappointed with Pontiac is, no manual STILL. At least they added the auto-shift feature.

From what I understand the blower on the '04 is much better than the pre-'04 blower, thus the hp hike to 260. Sounds like it may go faster, easier.

Anyway, thats my opinion... I own a '00 Grand Am GT1 (EVERYONE and their mother confuses as a GTP, those who dont know anyway) and my '02 WRX. So I come from both sides. Owe, I was raised GM all the way as my dads worked there for 33 years!!

def
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23

BTW- My dad just bought a Monte Carlo SS Supercharged. Any good sites that would relate for him? Its the same set-up as the GTPs...

thx
    def
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23

I like the new SS Supercharged...don't like the scroll style lettering on the rear side skirt...but at least SS now means some performance!

As far as sites tell him to visit www.clubgp.com they use the same engine as the previous GTP series II SC 3.8L.

for performance parts check out....
    www.zzperformance.com
    www.intense-racing.com
    www.3800performance.com
    www.motorsportsperformance.com

Any parts listed for the GTP will work for the Monte...with the exception of exterior parts(obvioulsy) and most cat-back systems. Also the DHP re-programmed PCM will NOT work with the monte, but I would expect that pretty soon they will have a PCM available. For those who don't know these cars the DHP PCM is like the Cobb reflash, it offers decent HP gains, but also increases line pressure for shifts to be quicker, disables the 126 mph speed limiter, and enables the tranny to do 3-1 and 4-2 downshifts from a roll!

If he is looking for a list of parts to get started on going faster, I can reccommend a few starters.. CAI or FWI, 3.4" exhaust, and downpipe. That should be good enough to get him near if not into the 13 second range. As for suspension GM Performance Parts division makes a Koni system, and there are Next Level sway bars, and energy suspension bushings available to make your car handle like it should have from the factory!

I have a question. Why are there so many non WRX owners on clubwrx.net? To each his own I guess, but frankly I don't go onto the 5.0 forum or whatever. The origional post on this thread was comparing a lancer to a GP, and that is a ridiculous comparison, considering they don't even compete in the same class.

However, that said I don't like the mitsubishi lancer (the evo is a completely different car). It IS ugly IMHO. I haven't seen it rated very highly. It is also underpowered. How anyone could look at the lancer with its 115 HP and say- 'that is a sweet car' is beyond me. My Geo Prism had more horsepower and would no doubt last to 200,000 miles.

Bottom line- Pontiac made a silly comparison. I'd personally rather have a Chrysler 300M myself (than a GTP), but that's just me.

ps- funny thing, there is a guy around Loveland that drives a grand am with a "bye bye rice boy" sticker on the back. He didn't want to race.
    Last edited by keystah; 12-31-2003 at 05:52 PM.

Originally posted by soon2BWRXd
    ......and enables the tranny to do 3-1 and 4-2 downshifts from a roll!

Ah yes, the glorious 3-1 downshift courtesy of DHP. I love going 40 mph, flooring it, and barking the tires and rocketing forward.
    BTW, I don't know why there are so many GP fellows on the clubwrx board. I personally think you guys for the most part are very friendly and provide good discussions. I spend plenty of time on the GP board too, just like to visit other boards from time to time just for the heck of it.
    Dave
    '01 GTP 4-dr
    Best ET: 13.490 @ 103.51
    2.115 sec. 60'
    Basic mods

Originally posted by uke
    Minor nit, stock GTP's run about 14.7/14.8 stock, with a few factory freaks running mid to low 14's stock, not too far from stock WRX's /end nitpick
    this very well may be, but everyone i know with a GTP ran no better 14.9 at best. with all the torque and low traction most people i see run 15-15.3

please dont post links to time slips, i have heard of gtp's running mid to high 14's stock, but most i have seen are low low 15's.

i am not doubting the GTP's performance nor its mod potential, i just think that for a "sport sedan" that has no refinement and runs high 14's to low 15's with a 3.8L supercharged V6 is nothing special at all. Also, from what i hear from GTP owners is that the trans can barely hold the torque as it is, and once you start to mod it becomes bad for the trans. this is just what i hear though.

which special edition GTP came with a 6speed manual. was it the gtx or something. i wonder why they didnt just keep going with the manual trans.

Unfortunately, they never have offered a manual tranny with the 3.8L SC motor in the GTP. The previous gen GTP with the 3.4L DOHC motor I think had it as an option. Most do run about a flat 15 stock or a bit better or worse just depending. I have a friend that has a bone stock '00 that has run a best of 14.38 with his.
    No track prep either, paper filter and all.

And you are correct, the stats of the car in stock form is not in any way stand-out today with the competition that's out there now. Now when it came out in 1997, it was. When I got mine in 2001, it still kinda-was the best performance bang-for-the-buck in a sedan. Plus it was easy and cheap to mod. Today, it's not a stand-out.

Yes the tranny is the weak point in the cars when you start to mod. It can only handle so much torque. Some have good luck and some have bad. I have a buddy modded similar to me, races a LOT, has 94K on his originally tranny and still going fine. I've got 30K on mine so far and no problems yet and I drive hard a lot. I know the time will come though so I'm saving my pennies.
    Dave
    '01 GTP 4-dr
    2.115 sec. 60'
    Basic mods

Originally posted by DavesGTP
    Unfortunately, they never have offered a manual tranny with the 3.8L SC motor in the GTP. The previous gen GTP with the 3.4L DOHC motor I think had it as an option. Most do run about a flat 15 stock or a bit better or worse just depending. I have a friend that has a bone stock '00 that has run a best of 14.38 with his.
    No track prep either, paper filter and all.

And you are correct, the stats of the car in stock form is not in any way stand-out today with the competition that's out there now. Now when it came out in 1997, it was. When I got mine in 2001, it still kinda-was the best performance bang-for-the-buck in a sedan. Plus it was easy and cheap to mod. Today, it's not a stand-out.

Yes the tranny is the weak point in the cars when you start to mod. It can only handle so much torque. Some have good luck and some have bad. I have a buddy modded similar to me, races a LOT, has 94K on his originally tranny and still going fine. I've got 30K on mine so far and no problems yet and I drive hard a lot. I know the time will come though so I'm saving my pennies.
    when i had my maxima and GTP guys would rave how their car is real fast, and the best sport sedan for speed and money. My maxima was a 3.0 N/A v6 as opposed to the GTP's 3.8 s/c v6. the maxima had .8L less displacement and no s/c but still got stock times between 14.8-15.3 (which is very similar to the GTP) not to mention the maxima out handles and has better reliability, and was much better with top end, which seems to be the GTP's weakness. and as far as modability goes, you can spend 1grand and get that same max in the low 14's. I know with a grand you can put a GTP into mid 13's though.

I thought they came out with a special edition one within the last 3 years or so. It was the grand prix GP or gtx? i could very well be mistaken, i thought i was the same one used in the base trans am.

I thought they came out with a special edition one within the last 3 years or so. It was the grand prix GP or gtx? i could very well be mistaken, i thought i was the same one used in the base trans am
    They have had plenty of special editions, and limited edition GPs....but never came with a maunual tranny if they had I would have one sitting in my driveway!

As for why there are so many GP owners I have no idea? Personally I like this board MUCH better since you guys can act like mature adults(which is pretty sad cause I would guess tat the average age here is lower than the average age on clubGP), on the GP board this would be about 27 pages of pure BS, and the non stop flaming would last for weeks...if not months
    As for myself, I am doing research....since I plan on giving Subaru some of my hard earned money as soon as possible

I was actually comparing the Max SE auto to the GTP when I got the GTP. At that time, my goal was actually to get a fast automatic 4-dr car, not a 5-speed. The car I was trading in was a 5-speed, and I was tired of doing all the shifting in gridlock bumper to bumper traffic. I was ready for an automatic at that time. The GTP was a 15.0 second car. The Max was a 15.9 second car. I got a much much better deal and a much better interest rate on the GTP, so I went with it. I don't regret it.

My mom had a '95 Max GXE for a long time, and it was a nice car. However, believe it or not, I wouldn't venture to say that the quality of that car was any better than my GTP. The interior even rattled just as much. Just my opinion.
    Dave
    '01 GTP 4-dr
    2.115 sec. 60'
    Basic mods

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.