Grand Prix - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Grand Prix within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by jamie007 The only Gran Prix I've ever driven was, I think, an SE, I'm sure the GTP ...

Originally posted by jamie007
    The only Gran Prix I've ever driven was, I think, an SE, I'm sure the GTP is much more than that POS. But what kills me about those cars is they call it "widetrack" when it is only like 1" wider than an Accord which is certainly no wide track car. I'm not trying to bash anyone's ride, just venting.

If Pontiac would just make that car RWD and give it a real manual tranny, instead of that tap shift crap, I'm sure it would be one bada$$ ride. It would give the japs a run for their $$$, I just don't understand american automakers these days.
    I think if they made the GTP/comp G with RWD and a 6speed manual, it would start to get into the new GTO's territory. I will give props to pontiac/GM for the Trans AM though. I really like the ws6, but other than that, i havnt seen anything that i think is a great buy come out of them. Wide track is a bunch of crap. It doesnt do anything but change the demensions of the car.

Soon2bwrxd -- I will admit though, even on the SE the throttle response and torque is pretty nice. ALthough there is not as much torque steer on the GP, traction is a big problem, even with decent tires. I always say "to each his own" but to say that you think the GTP has a leg up on the maxima or V6 accord (especially the 02,03 maxima) that just sounds...... odd......

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My mom's GP is pretty reliable little car. 90k miles and no problems, but it feels underpowered and handles like crap. My friend just got a new 04 gtp comp G that he thinks is fast, I think i need to show him what the wrx is all about.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." Ben Franklin

Originally posted by DTR maxima
    I always say "to each his own" but to say that you think the GTP has a leg up on the maxima or V6 accord (especially the 02,03 maxima) that just sounds...... odd......
    It doesn't have a leg up on those cars. I'll even admit that and I own one.....well an '01 that is. At that time (when I got mine in Sept. 2001), the car had a leg up on those cars because it was competing against 222 hp Maximas, 200 hp V6 Accords, and that was about it. The SHO was no more at that time. Times have changed though.
    Dave
    '01 GTP 4-dr
    Best ET: 13.490 @ 103.51
    2.115 sec. 60'
    Basic mods

Originally posted by DavesGTP
    It doesn't have a leg up on those cars. I'll even admit that and I own one.....well an '01 that is. At that time (when I got mine in Sept. 2001), the car had a leg up on those cars because it was competing against 222 hp Maximas, 200 hp V6 Accords, and that was about it. The SHO was no more at that time. Times have changed though.
    yes, i will agree, the accords and maximas were not as powered then. accord didnt even come in manual and auto maximas with the 222hp were only good for mid - high 15's stock. I dont know....... i guess i am just not that big a fan of most american cars. GP are very capable track cars though, 1/4 mile wise.
    my boss has a 97' GTP with pulley, intake, full exhaust, and he ran a 13.7

for what you get the gp just seems like its overpriced and under built. but word on the street is that american car companies are trying to turn their game around

I'm in the exact same boat at Dave, I bought my 01 GTP when it was the best 4 door out there. Their was no Rex, 260 hp Max or 240 hp Accord. When my lease is up in a year my choice of cars will be vast.
    2004 Grand Prix CompG
    Fully loaded w/Appreance Package.
    Wizaired CAI

i HATE Pontiac... ugliest cars ever. they have yet to make one decent looking car.
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

I hate to tell ya, but the WRX isn't exactly a looker.
    2004 Grand Prix CompG
    Fully loaded w/Appreance Package.
    Wizaired CAI

I Support ClubWRX
    If I were ever buying a car in this class, the gtp would never have been an option. While I like the exterior style of the car (it always seems to remind me of an arrow ), I just don't think that it holds up to a maxima or accord. If I were buying in this class, interior would be much more important than it was when I was buying my wrx. I think the japanese make nicer interiors in their mid level sedans. With that said, the interior of the new GTO looks awesome. I'd definitely consider one of those bad boys
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

uke
    Ok guys, I just wanted to chime in here and hopefully prevent a flame war from erupting...

First off, please keep in mind that there are a LOT of GTP owners on this board, so making comments that "Grand Prix's are a POS" is just asking for problems. The main reason I post on these boards is that it's a really civil and well-mannered place, regardless of what car one owns. I want it to stay that way.

Second, as far as the quality of the GP itself, almost every GP owner (myself included) will admit that the interior of the Grand Prix is pretty bad, no point harping on it.

That aside, though, I still LOVE my GTP. Why? 1. I got a modded 2001 car-show winner (no joke) for only 15,000 when I got mine. The other cars mentioned were way out of my price range. 2. The car is one of the highest powered for it's type and price range. On top of that, it is VERY moddable for a person on a budget. (I'm pushing about 280hp/310lb tq with less than $500 in mods) 3. Despite other's opinions, I think it looks very nice when kept well and with a little work in it. Check out some of the modded ones on clubgp.com for pics of very nice looking GP's. 4. As far as reliability is concerned, my family has owned mostly GM cars, and so far we've had: an Astro van that lasted over 200,000 miles, and 89 Cadillac that is STILL running well with over 250,000 miles, as well as other vehicles that have run forever without major problems.

In short, I'll be the first to admit that our cars aren't perfect. But there are some very nice reasons some of us own them. Also, it IS a matter of opinion of what one considers a nice car. I say all this to hopefully to put this matter to rest and prevent a forum of civil car enthusiasts from turning ugly.
    Last edited by uke; 12-30-2003 at 09:28 AM.

Very well said Uke.
    Dave
    '01 GTP 4-dr
    2.115 sec. 60'
    Basic mods

J-H
    WOW!!!!!

I am sorry guys...I didn't want for this to become an opinion war...I think that you should drive whatever you choose, I just think it is irresponsible for Pontiac to ALLOW this comparison. Lincoln compared its new LS to the BMW 540 or something 5XX. Oh well, guess what, they got some Ukranian built-detuned-525 BMW and ran it against the LS. Of course the LS is going to outperform the BMW!!!!!! What are they thinking? There was a thread a while ago that dealt with the dumbest car commercials people have ever seen...I guess this one is making the list for sure...

As a fair person I will grant Mitsu a public reply to Pontiac' absurd comparison. So an EVO 8 and a Pontiac Vibe or Aztec (they can choose) commercial/road test/comparo is scheduled to start production pretty soon....

On a side note, I had to go the Pontiac web-site and I saw that there is a Grand Prix and a Grand Am. I am not sure which one is in the commercial. In any case it is not nice from them to do that.

JH

uke
    I've never seen the commercial you're talking about, but it's "possible" it was the Grand Am, as it would be more similar to the Lancer than the Grand Prix. Now, I'll join anyone in making fun of anyone who thinks their Grand Am GT is a sports car as I think it only makes about 170hp. Lots of people tend to confuse Grand Prix's and Grand Am's for some reason (shrugs). However, they are two completely different cars.

Regardless, it still does sound like a pretty dumb commercial though.

The commercial sucks arse. They show a black '04 Grand Prix GTP Comp G next to a base model plane jane silver Lancer. Wow, what a great comparison. Way to go Pontiac. Give your advertising guy a raise.
    Dave
    '01 GTP 4-dr
    2.115 sec. 60'
    Basic mods

uke
    Originally posted by ebr0t
    i HATE Pontiac... ugliest cars ever. they have yet to make one decent looking car.
    Trans Am's are ugly?? I think the 97-02 Grand Prix's are nice too. Ah well, to each his own.

You've got to admit, you won't find many people that dislike the look of the '97-'03 GT or GTP's. Now the 2004's are a totally different story.
    Dave
    '01 GTP 4-dr
    2.115 sec. 60'
    Basic mods

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast