wrx vs. eclipse gsx which would win?

This is a discussion on wrx vs. eclipse gsx which would win? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; which would win they are similar in specs...

wrx vs. eclipse gsx which would win?

which would win they are similar in specs
    If you love something, let it go If it comes back its yours, If not, it never was

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Stock WRX v. Stock GSX = WRX

WRX + $x v. GSX + $x = GSX

Re: wrx vs. eclipse gsx which would win?

Originally posted by kurrupt999
    which would win they are similar in specs
    I think the gearing on the GSX favors the GSX a little more at higher speeds.

To be honest about it, I respect the GSX a lot because as an ex-owner (91GSX) I know what it could do...

You would need a lot more power from the WRX to make up for the bad gearing if you want to become a highway monster. The Unichip and Vishnu down pipes are great additions and they both add a lot of power to the WRX, but the GSX could be modded just as easily with the same amount of money.

But the GSX breaks down a lot

so true, i had a 91 eagle talon. it was a lemon. big time lemon. parents bought it new in 91 and they had problems starting about a month after they bought it. it was the AWD turbo one. nice power(when it ran), belts broke alot, gaskets were ****, leaked **** everywhere, and had to replace the tranny after a year. lemona. heard they were better in 93, 94 though

I had a 95 talon tsi which pushed me into buying the WRX. Bought it used, and it ran really good for the first winter. Then the alternator went out. I didn't have time to fix it myself so I paid $600 to have it fixed. Then the clutch started staying down when I turned a left turn. I had to pull it back up with my foot. Water pump started leaking, Crank angle sensor went bad, and so on. At least $500 a month in repairs plus my $300 payments. Started reading on clubdsm.com and found a thing on crank walk and after all the problems with my car, I decided that was beginning to happen. Don't know if it was or not, but I didn't want to take the chance of having to replace the bottom end of the engine. Also got tired of having it towed home. Usually happened when I was 40-50 miles away from home. This is the reason why I don't even care about the EVO. Mitsubishi build quality is not trusted by me anymore.

Back on subject, My rex seems a lot quicker than the talon (I can actually catch up on my wife's GTP rather than just run with it). I'm confident stock for stock, the wrx will win.

Humm ...

Another maini reason why I'd would NOT get the EVO VII ... I would really be considering it but looks are bad and reliability is even worse ... I have yet met a Mitsubishi owner who has NOT had any problems. Subaru is like the other extreme ... we'll see w/ my WRX.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

Thumbs up

Man are you guys right about mitsu's!I love the looks of the cars and the ideas,but they are not reliable at all.I have had 2 mitsu's.92 eclipse and 89 starion.They both handle great around turns and on the highway.Both very fun to drive as well as sexy but sooooo many things break. Thats why I am getting the wrx!! I need something that will run other than on saturdays!!peace

Moderating YOU
    before you had your Subaru!
    I Support ClubWRX
    One of the mechanics at Garage SPL bought an AWD Turbo Talon (don't remember what year) for $4000...he did a few mods and some tuning and it totalled to about $8000 for everything. He's running 2.5 bar and consistently runs 11s at track

Of course, he does have it in the shop to fix something every few weeks
    Armin - ClubWRX Admin/Moderator since 2002
    Senior Editor and Photographer, NWMotiv.com
    Photography Portfolios: ArminAusejo.com | ArminWeddings.com
    President, Project One Car Club
    02 WRX "EVA-00" | 2010 A4, still to be named | 02 M3 "M-Thrizzle" (traded in) | 08 STI "Blaze" (sold)
    djrez4 is a genius | ScoobyDMC #010

While we're on the topic of GSX's I figured I'd tell y'all what my buddy at college did to his 97 GSX. I love the Rex much more than any DSM, but I gotta give my friend a ton of respect for his ride.

After he installed intake, exhaust, a bigger turbo, MBC, etc, he was still getting pissed that he wasn't wasn't winning every race. Well Extreme Motorsports and Jackson Racing took care of his woes.

He took the engine from a first generation GSX, got it fully built (new CNC parts, cams, crankshafts, titanium valve springs, the works!) by Jackson Racing, and then installed by Extreme Motorsports. He then installed a Greddy FMIC (in his own garage) S-AFC, AVC-R , a race clutch, and some other smaller things, and his car was good to go. Extreme estimates he is making roughly 400 crank/hp (He'll hit the dyno soon). He should be running mid-high 11's now with this setup. Unfortunately, the car practically can't idle, and the cams turning over feels very irregular, but that's the price of speed.

A note; the way the AFC was tuned initially caused flames to shoot out of his exhaust, very cool, but he got it fixed so his car won't die in a month.

AWD + Turbo + $5000 makes a hell of a machine......

Stock vs Stock, the WRX will win. But since the gsx has been around for a while in many forms (talon, eclipse). The price of modding that vehicle into a beast is much less expensive than modding the WRX.

I had a friend that told me about a guy he knew that had the talon turbo awd, and this thing was modded to the sky. About 4000 worth of mods, and it was just frighteningly fast.

Probably 0-60 around 3 secs. 1/4 in low 12's high 11's. So the potential is there.

But 99 was the last year they made the GSX, and from what i heard, the car went for around 28000. Pretty expensive for a vehicle that's 5grand more than the wrx, but is still slower.

Huge potential for both, either would be a good choice. I prefer the WRX because not many people have them, and I choose not to drive a vehicle that "everyone" has.

I've also heard that mitsubishis have alot of problems with reliability (crankwalk). The WRX is more solidly built
    '00 2.5RS

Originally posted by tytlyf
    I've also heard that mitsubishis have alot of problems with reliability (crankwalk). The WRX is more solidly built

yup. had it. not cool at all. had the car 1 year and it was in the shop more than it was on the road.

Originally posted by WRXwant1
    Man are you guys right about mitsu's!I love the looks of the cars and the ideas,but they are not reliable at all.I have had 2 mitsu's.92 eclipse and 89 starion.They both handle great around turns and on the highway.Both very fun to drive as well as sexy but sooooo many things break. Thats why I am getting the wrx!! I need something that will run other than on saturdays!!peace
    Yeah I owned a 91 Talon TSI and a 96 Galant, man all kind of things broke on the cars. The TSI was a blast to drive though ( got turbo upgrade and full turbo back )

On the Galant they recalled all 4 of my windows motors after 2 of them just DIED. So I now drive a rex

If you get an EVO, drive it hard for 3 years and sell it.
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

Re: Humm ...

Originally posted by chuglobal
    Another maini reason why I'd would NOT get the EVO VII ... I would really be considering it but looks are bad and reliability is even worse ... I have yet met a Mitsubishi owner who has NOT had any problems. Subaru is like the other extreme ... we'll see w/ my WRX.
    I second that. My wife had a 91' Eclipse and it was junk. Paint went to pot in 4 years(was black). Computer puked itself after 28k miles. Then water pump rusted inside threw a blade and jammed, car over heated in a nanosecond and warped the head. Relay switch for rad fans went, had to run a/c to keep fans kicked in until one came in at dealer...Went through 2 sets of hatch-lift shocks. Had a rear brake caliper seize at 60k miles. MAF meter went. Stupid plastic part(except for the sensor itself) and it cost like $300 to replace! One strange problem was the vacuum line for the cruise control wouldn't stop splitting at one end. Finally went and got a clear vinyl hose to replace the rubber one. Many other things broke on it just can't remember them all now.

After 7 years it went bye-bye. Had 110k miles on it.

I like the WRX the only problem I have with them is locality of the dealers . There just isn't that many of them in part of Florida that I live in. And I wish they were not so bug-eyed.

Ppower

I have worked on a number of AWD DSMs... my cousin actually owns a 97 Talon AWD... a very fun car. He picked it up late last summer with 45k on the odo. He now is in the hi 50s with it and has replaced the clutch and the master cylinder... but so far so good....

With just an intake (injen) and a boost controller (TXS bleed style) he ran a 13.85 @ 96.xx mph. Its a quick car that spools fast as heck! From a low rpm roll he pulls on me pretty good at first... but once my bigger 13g (stock WRX) turbo spools I reel him in and pass him.

The gearing is good, but with are cars being lighter and with the edge in power... we can take them pretty good.

You know its actually pretty scary that our 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears pull so hard... cause they are pretty stretched out themselves.

1st takes us to 38 mph, while an AWD DSM only goes to 34...
    2nd for us goes to 68mph, for them 64
    3rd for us 97, for them 96
    4th for us 137!!!, for them 129
    5th with enough power to redline would be 180, for them 161...

def
    '02 WRX - 10.780 @ 136.23
    '07 TBSS - 13.466 @ 103.23