Guy w/2003 M3 callin me out...

This is a discussion on Guy w/2003 M3 callin me out... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My friend says theres a guy w/a 2003 M3 that wants to see what the STi has. He says this ...

Cool Guy w/2003 M3 callin me out...

My friend says theres a guy w/a 2003 M3 that wants to see what the STi has. He says this guy has a chip already, i was guessing from Dinan? i dont know.

What have you guys experienced w/M3's and your STi's? Any suggestions?

*Off topic*

Oh and I think i had one of the best launches tonight. Chillin at the light, kept my revs at 4k, DCCD at full lock, when a little bit before it was green, i put it up at 4500 and slipped the clutch, no dump or feathering. The tires chirped a little bit, but once they grabbed... oh ****.... All hell broke lose, i seriously never had this sort of rush before in this car... or in any car. It was crazy! No clutch smell no nothin, just freakin took off!
    '04 WRB STi
    Mods: Removed Air Box

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do not race him from a roll because those things are beast once rolling. Race from a dig and then shut off at about 90mph. You could win if you have a perfect launch, but it'll creep up on you and then probably will past you by (since you are like stock and he is tuned).

BTW, is it a 6-speed?
    13.7 at 98.74 MPH / Stock TD04 & No EM

should be driver race from a stop. but top end on them is like ls1's

I wouldn't worry about from a roll or from the stop. power to weight ratio are about a wash. A chipped e46 M3 probably only has 10-15 hp gain, not that much.

you never know...that's the fun part about going against someone.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

Re: Guy w/2003 M3 callin me out...

Originally posted by x Neo x
    My friend says theres a guy w/a 2003 M3 that wants to see what the STi has. He says this guy has a chip already, i was guessing from Dinan? i dont know.

What have you guys experienced w/M3's and your STi's? Any suggestions?

*Off topic*

Oh and I think i had one of the best launches tonight. Chillin at the light, kept my revs at 4k, DCCD at full lock, when a little bit before it was green, i put it up at 4500 and slipped the clutch, no dump or feathering. The tires chirped a little bit, but once they grabbed... oh ****.... All hell broke lose, i seriously never had this sort of rush before in this car... or in any car. It was crazy! No clutch smell no nothin, just freakin took off!
    Definately race him from a dead stop and you will be in front of him at 70mph or so. Then he will start to pull on you. So like already mentioned. Race from a dead stop up to about 90-100mph. (let say a 1/4 mile).
    From a roll , he will most likely take you at higher speeds. Down low it will be very close but he will eventually pull on you up top.

But you can definately beat him off the line for the first 1/8 mile or so. Thats for sure with a good driver.

I raced a new M3 in my Stage 4 WRX, and spanked him pretty good up to about 80mph. After that he held strong a few cars back.

I am not so sure as to how a stock STi would do against the M3. It would be close, but not sure again. I have ran a few M3's in my 1820 equipped WRX, and it was good run. I was able to walk the M3 pretty nicely (mine puts out a little over 300whp).

The M3's power band is PERFECT for top end racing with max power comming really close to to it's redline, but then again, so is that of an 1820 equipped WRX. Max power for me is way past redline, so it pays for me to ring it out to the full 7K rpms...

The power band on the stock turbo STi on the other hand has you running out of steam well before you hit the 7K limit, which would hurt you in such a race...Almost like short shifting...

I would keep the speeds as low as possibe in order to maximize your low end torque and gearing advantage...
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Go get a mbc and exhaust really quick!

But in all seriousness it should be a drivers race..STi's have gone 13.0's and I thought the M3 runs about 13.3...I doubt the chip will knock off .5...so its anyones game, my guess would be the person with the best "reaction time" (aka stealing the break) will win.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

doode, let me know when u gonna do this......
    i wanna see.

race him from a STOP and from a ROLL, why not.
    sure he'll kill u from a roll but who cares.

RANDi

Thumbs up

Oh, i forgot to mention that he has the sport tiptronic shifter--something like that, and also he has supposedly gotten 8.6's on 1/8th mile tracks.

I will be seein him on sunday, so i will definately let you guys know whats up. Im gonna have my first oil change sometime before that, probably on friday, dunno if that will help.

When i was practicing my launches last night, i seriously dont know how i can push the I/C spray at the same time... its tooo damn fast!!! haha.
    '04 WRB STi
    Mods: Removed Air Box

I wouldn't do the water IC spray while racing, or launching. I would spray it before the race, while rolling up to the race. The water will not evaporate right away. The water IC is there to help with taking the heat from the IC. However, you won't feel the affect of the spray...it's not like nitrous.

If this helps at all: http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread...ghlight=sti+m3

I never ran one while I was stock, but it'd probably be close.

like everyones been saying before, the sti will take it by a few cars up to 90-100mph. but after that the m3 will start gaining, the sti traps at about 101-102 stock whereas the m3 traps at about 104-105. the chip really isnt going to do even 10-15hp on that car, its really maxed out from the factory pushing a little over 100hp/liter stock. i would say it probly doesnt put anymore than 10hp on it. race him from a roll too just to see what happens...dont let him feel COMPLETELY bad about getting beat by a car that is 20k less

Originally posted by x Neo x
    Oh, i forgot to mention that he has the sport tiptronic shifter--something like that, and also he has supposedly gotten 8.6's on 1/8th mile tracks.

I will be seein him on sunday, so i will definately let you guys know whats up. Im gonna have my first oil change sometime before that, probably on friday, dunno if that will help.

When i was practicing my launches last night, i seriously dont know how i can push the I/C spray at the same time... its tooo damn fast!!! haha.
    I wouldn't try hitting your water spayer while launching. That will just slow you down. Its hard enough to make a clean shift from 1st to 2nd gear. Just hit the sprayer right before the race. It will help a little bit. But thats not going make or brake you.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post. If you get a good clean launch, without bogging, you will be in front of him at 70-80mph. There are very few cars on the road that can hang with a well launched STi. There is no way a stockish M3 is going to pull 1.7 sec 60' times on the street.
    When I raced a new M3 in my Stage 4 WRX, I got a solid 1-2 car jump on him off the line.

If he runs 8.6 in the 1/8 and you run from a stop and even halfway know how to drive, you've got him.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

FWIW, I recall reading about 2 months ago in one of the dozen or so car mags I get an article about a Dinan worked over M3. It had a chip, exhaust, & suspension which amounted to some ridiculous amount of cash. But the HP gain wasn't very much (in the teens I vaguely recall). Which only gave a tenth or two reduction (thinking about it though I guess 2/10ths would be noticeable). Oh well, if you get the AWD launch you should have him.

T.