85 impala?!

This is a discussion on 85 impala?! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i have a friend with an 85 Impala who is currently getting the engine rebuilt (350) to race specs and ...

Thumbs down 85 impala?!

i have a friend with an 85 Impala who is currently getting the engine rebuilt (350) to race specs and he claims that he will get it to 400HP/450TQ. How do you think this machine matches up against my 04 STi (stock)?

my friend's 85 Chevy Impala

or

my 04 Subaru STi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

FEAR ALL RUST BOATS FROM GM, THEY HAVE UNBEATABLE HORSEPOWER !!!

P.S. You'll loose unless you get NOS /naws/ !!!! GO, GO RENT A COPY OF FAST AND FURIOUS RIGHT NOW AND STUDY EVERY SECOND OF THAT FILM! IT WILL HELP YOU PREPARE!!!

P.S.S Go to a mirror and practice your facial expressions and pose and utter your most sincere "Bring it, yo". It will help in the upcomimg war: RICE vs Good' ole American Beef!

Last edited by Master Of Pain; 12-15-2003 at 12:33 PM.

WRX
    I didn't understand a word of that.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

Originally posted by WRX
    I didn't understand a word of that.
    Neither did I.

While he can EASILY get 400+hp out of a 350, the fact remains that that Impala is a BOAT!!!!! probably close to 5K lbs....he is going to need more than 400hp to get that ***** moving.

I would take that race anyday with an STi...hell I would take that challenge with some lightly modded WRXs.

Is he planning on upgrading the tranny? he may want to think about it...GM trannies are TERRIBLE I know from experience
    Stock or something close to it.....

Originally posted by soon2BWRXd
    Is he planning on upgrading the tranny? he may want to think about it...GM trannies are TERRIBLE I know from experience
    r u nuts chevy has some good trannies. turbo350 probably most popular tranny, turbo400, t56, and the 2 speed poweglide.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

In addition to tranny upgrades, he'll have to do a rear end of some kind. 450 ft/lbs through an open differential won't do jack. He'll also have to upgrade the entire driveline, probably some chassis work (so the car won't flex), suspension work to get it to hook, brakes to slow that land yacht down, and other minor stuff that always adds up. Until it happens, your friend is all talk, and you can just smile and nod.

However, there are some WICKED sleepers (typically late 70's/early 80's looking Malibus) around Chicagoland that'll take your money at the street drags unless you're running deep into the 10's.

Beware of older cars that have big slicks, alot of suspension work, and big fuel lines.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Yeah, all the power in the world will be lost at the rear end. He needs to work on that to hook anything up.
    Not sure about the GM tranny deal. Powerglides are in 95% of the super class dragsters in the NHRA and IHRA. I run them. Turbo 400's are indesructable.
    Have him come to my shop for a week and we will take your bet in the STi!!
    But without some detail and know-how, it will be a sigle tire smoking slug.
    (Could be a cool low dollar beater/sleeper though.)

r u nuts chevy has some good trannies. turbo350 probably most popular tranny, turbo400, t56, and the 2 speed poweglide.
    Correct, the Powerglide and turbo 350, 400 are indestructible....but is that what is eguipped in that car? It may have a turbo 350, but I don't think those were used on the Caprice/Impala. The T-56 can be indestructible, but I have seen a number of them that have been destroyed!

And I completley forgot about the rear end! Prolly the weakest part of the entire driveline.

Yeah, that is definitely the weakest part of that driveline, and the biggest flaw to making that horsepower hit the floor. You can keep that case and put good parts in it, but either way you need some limited slip system.
    That car probably came with a turbo 350. It would take some time and money to be a real threat, but could happen.
    I think I would put together a 330-350 horse motor and leave much of the driveline internals the same for the best bang for the buck.

with the 400hp the SBC is putting out i just assumed he'd upgrade the tranny to something that can hold it. A few runs in the stock tranny and it'll be ****ing out metal chunks
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Haha. A bunch of Subaru peeps ragging on another cars weak tranny. I love it!
    -Brian.

Originally posted by Trainrex
    Everybody run!!! It's a spy!!! ***runs out of house screaming and flailing arms above head***

Actually I was ragging on them, and since I own 2 GM cars I can do that

whats the story wrx drift?? u race yet?
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

How do you think this machine matches up against my 04 STi (stock)?
    it doesn't....