WRX vs. Shoplifters

This is a discussion on WRX vs. Shoplifters within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; WRX vs. Shoplifters (in 93-96 Intrepid) While looking for a parking spot at our local mall, my wife and I ...

WRX vs. Shoplifters

WRX vs. Shoplifters (in 93-96 Intrepid)

While looking for a parking spot at our local mall, my wife and I drove past the exit for Sears and noticed a red Intrepid sitting in the fire lane with the hazard lights on. As we were getting ready to go around it two young women emerged from Sears with clothes in their arms and hopped into the car. Keep in mind that I do loss prevention/security work. I was thinking about snatching them up and before I could make a decision the wife starts yelling "go get them!" I hate thieves, and shoplifters more specifically but I really didn't want to get involved and get into trouble as a result- but of course I chased them. They ran some stop signs around the mall, and I slowly followed through the stop signs. There was some old snow still on the ground and the roads were slick and I was somewhat concerned about them sliding but they took gentle winding turns at some moderate speeds and then got out of the mall area and turned onto a larger street. I would back of some just to be safe and easily catch up to them. On the large street they got up to 65-75 and I was able to pull up next to them and motion for them to pull over. The two passengers stared into my eyes and looked scared as hell . While the driver tried to keep her face hidden- I could have easily continued to follow but I turned of to avoid any futher trouble. When I pulled up next to them I was at the middle of 3rd gear with pleeeenty of power left but I was just coasting as they were scrambling trying to lose us. I was hoping I could burst their bubble and spoil their getaway. I was kinda hoping they would lose control and hit something- that thought alone told me it's time to stop this b/c if something would have happened to me and my baby I don't know what I would do (I'm talking about the car).

P.S. It's really nice to have all of that power AND control available to use on a moments notice. Oh yeah I know it's just an Intrepid.
    "You have to let it all go; fear, doubt, and disbelief. Free...your mind."

You can run, but between my Glock and My WRX- you will only die tired.

2002 Black WRX Sedan RIP 08.24.04
    2005 Black WRX STi 09.14.04

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice! At least you scared the bejeebus out of 'em. I used to do loss prevention also - that stuff really gets me angered.

By the way, your wife rules for encouraging you to go after them.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Did you get their license plate and report them? Were they aprehended?

Awesome job btw

Thanks,

I told someone who looked important at Sears and as expected they acted kinda like they didn't care. They also said once they step off of the curb it's not their business. I was going to call the police but didn't have the non-emergency number for the municipality I was in. I was considering pulling my gun on them while telling them to pull over but I opted against it. T'would be just a tad illegal, and besides what would I do if they pulled over? Maybe take the stuff back to Sears. I don't know about calling the police since I didn't witness the WHOLE thing, and I am not really the victim.
    "You have to let it all go; fear, doubt, and disbelief. Free...your mind."

You can run, but between my Glock and My WRX- you will only die tired.

2002 Black WRX Sedan RIP 08.24.04
    2005 Black WRX STi 09.14.04

its not worth the trouble, and who knows, they will end up suing you for anything they can. The police wouldnt care.. hell when we have someone detained, they dont even want to show up to take them to jail.

Im working LP right now and our policies are very strict as to how you can pursue them. Im sure that every companies' policies differ.
    04 SVT Lightning

Store with security alarms or security guards only have them there to scare people, they are not really allowed to do anything to you once you leave the store. My fried used to take stacks of books out the door at Barnes and Noble and the security guard would just watch, because they cannot legally do anything!

Good job scaring them though!!!!

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Re: WRX vs. Shoplifters

Originally posted by Twanz02WRX
    that thought alone told me it's time to stop this b/c if something would have happened to me and my baby I don't know what I would do (I'm talking about the car).

What about your wifey?
    Justin
    2003 Sonic Yellow
    NOT STOCK ANYMORE!!

The solution was to throw the baby through the windshield of the Intrepid to mess up the driver and stop the car?

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX
    Store with security alarms or security guards only have them there to scare people, they are not really allowed to do anything to you once you leave the store. My fried used to take stacks of books out the door at Barnes and Noble and the security guard would just watch, because they cannot legally do anything!
    Yep. Stores are too afraid of being sued to do anything, and the vast majority of the employees could care less anyway.

Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX

Good job scaring them though!!!!

-joe

Not true. If you stop a suspect before they leave the store then the case will be thrown out in court and you will likely be fired. It is not retail theft unless they leave the store with the merchandise.
    Barnes and Noble could have kicked your friends ass if they tried to stop him and he fought back. I work security at the mall, Policy is " As long as the store employee makes the stop 1st then you can jump in and arrest the suspect if necessary" I have gone off property many times to assist in the stop.

It also depends what city you are in. I work in Aurora. Many people in norther Illinois know that in Aurora there is a major crime problem IE....Drugs, murders, gangs. Retail theft is last on their list, therefore more pressure gets put on the Loss preveintion or Security Officer
    Last edited by 03 blue rex; 12-16-2003 at 06:44 PM.
    Bleeding true blue.

"That gasp you just heard was National League hitters after hearing that Mark Prior has added a couple extra MPH to his fastball this winter."

-Will Carroll-

03 Blue rex - Sold
    04 Black Forester XT - Nice