Mustang 5.0 L sedan - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Mustang 5.0 L sedan within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by PlatRexSubie Yea I have a friend who wants to race me in his 1992 or 91 mustang ...

Originally posted by PlatRexSubie
    Yea I have a friend who wants to race me in his 1992 or 91 mustang 5.0 LX. I think its stock except for an intake.Who do you think will win?
    Now who has a 5.0 Mustang and his only mod is an intake??

If that's correct, then he may as well not have any mods at all. Because he's still going to be going though the stock airbox, air meter, and throttle body.

Now if by "intake" he meant one of those K&N Filtercharger things, then he may as well be stock with that too.

One thing you need to know about the 5.0 is that there are very few single mods that make a difference. Everything works together as a system, and that holds true for modifying it as well.

If he wants to see the benefit of a better intake, then he'd need to also change the throttle body, air meter, and filter box.

Now he's getting air into the engine better, but on the exhaust side things are still restrictive. In fact, the 5.0's exhaust is very restrictive. That's usually the first thing that's modified. So changing all the intake stuff won't do much good unless he can get the air out of the engine as well as he's getting it in.

Cat-back exhausts change the sound but not much else. That's because the biggest restriction is still there - the cats. He should get an off-road H- or X-pipe at least. The next biggest restriction is the headers.

The bottom line is that a 5.0 isn't going to benefit from intake mods unless the exhaust restrictions have been addressed first.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

originally posted by Drod
    You all know that the 92 LX only had 200 hp not the 225 hp.
    92 lx 5.0 was factory rated at 225hp....in 93 the 5.0 was rated at 205hp but actually made the same rwhp as the 92 and earlier models...Ford just changed the way they rated the engines....the 93s run the same 1/4 mile time as the earlier cars although the 87-88s tend to run a little faster
    87 lx 5.0
    yeah its stock
    All motor
    Got torque?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12