2002 Mustang Cobra Encounter - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2002 Mustang Cobra Encounter within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; yeah still drum brakes!! my car runs 115 mph trap speeds and they still stop the car pretty good considering ...

yeah still drum brakes!!

my car runs 115 mph trap speeds and they still stop the car pretty good considering the old technology
    87 lx 5.0
    yeah its stock
    All motor
    Got torque?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A friend of mine used to work for Ford, shipping out parts to dealerships. He told me that till Ford upgraded their brakes in the early 90s, Mustangs were notorious for nose diving into the pavement because upon hard braking, the rears were pretty useless and the weight of the car tipped too heavily forward. According to him, Ford made a lot of money from replacing those front ends.

Do you know anything about this?

originally posted by Flyboy
    Why does it seem like our board is suddenly getting deluged with newbies with attitude problems? Seems like a little overflow from clubsi.com. We used to be able to post openly and not get flamed for it, now it seems like these new people are just trolling for things to jump on.

Let me remind you, if you don't drive a WRX, OR you don't have anything constructive/helpful to contribute to our forum then get the **** off!
    hmmm...clubsi...got to check that site out!!! I only respond to the posts where u guys bash on the mustang!!! Gotta keep yall in line u know

originally posted by bedabi
    A friend of mine used to work for Ford, shipping out parts to dealerships. He told me that till Ford upgraded their brakes in the early 90s, Mustangs were notorious for nose diving into the pavement because upon hard braking, the rears were pretty useless and the weight of the car tipped too heavily forward. According to him, Ford made a lot of money from replacing those front ends.

Do you know anything about this?
    Hmmmm...it wouldn't suprise me if this happened...the old fox-body V8 cars were definitely lacking in the brake department. Ford did upgrade the brakes in 94 to 4 wheel disc
    87 lx 5.0
    yeah its stock
    All motor
    Got torque?

Originally posted by 87LX50

hey i'm a nice guy now!! Yeah i'm sure you have never lost to a mustang before Ya need to stop racing those 96gts...LOL.....anyways my car is never trailered and i drive it all the time on pump gas 93 octane!!! whats your car run? Like i said if the fastest WRX in the U.S only runs 12.2s then i have nothing to worry about because i'm faster than that and my car doesn't even need a power adder to run in the 11 second range
    Don't worry cuz I am a nice guy too. Its just that all the Mustang owners that I have met are ****s. They usually turn down races from me or only want to race on the freeway from 55 kick. I thought stangs were drag cars and drag races start from a standstill. I don't like to stereotype people but I have just had many bad encounters w/ the stangs owners in the Atl area. They all talk **** and think they are gods. I am sure you know Rodney w/ the red stang running nitrous and a blower. He is the biggest prick of 'em all. Well, I am sure your car is faster than mine but what kind of tires do you run on the street? I aint gonna lie and traction wins races and that why I beat stangs from 0-100. And I have ony raced one earlier 90s 5.0 and mostly newer GT's. Hell, I don't even waste my gas on 96 GT's.
    '03 STi killer

originally posted by wrxxx
    Don't worry cuz I am a nice guy too. Its just that all the Mustang owners that I have met are ****s. They usually turn down races from me or only want to race on the freeway from 55 kick. I thought stangs were drag cars and drag races start from a standstill. I don't like to stereotype people but I have just had many bad encounters w/ the stangs owners in the Atl area. They all talk **** and think they are gods. I am sure you know Rodney w/ the red stang running nitrous and a blower. He is the biggest prick of 'em all. Well, I am sure your car is faster than mine but what kind of tires do you run on the street? I aint gonna lie and traction wins races and that why I beat stangs from 0-100. And I have ony raced one earlier 90s 5.0 and mostly newer GT's. Hell, I don't even waste my gas on 96 GT's.
    yikes!! i'm sorry you had the displeasure of meeting Rodney...Yes i do agree with what you said! A lot of mustang people do think they are gods and if you smak them down more power to you! LOL i don't do much street racing but my regular street tires don't have much hope of hooking the kind of power my car makes..(gotta love the Futuras from pep boys)...at the track though my 60 foots are very low 1.6s on slicks (1.61 best)....I do plan to get some Nitto drag radials for the street soon though

whats your car run btw? Are u going to that import race at commerce this weekend? I might take my turbo DSM (1990 laser rs) and run it up there....Do u know Todd with the blue WRX with nitrous? I believe his is the fastest around these parts so far
    87 lx 5.0
    yeah its stock
    All motor
    Got torque?

My car is capable of running low 13s @ 101-103 mph. But my best is 13.6 @ 99 mph when I was running only 15 psi at the track. At 16.5-17 psi, it should run low 13s. But I need to go to the track and to see if I am right and stop saying what my car SHOULD run. I am still on stock fuel system and stock turbo but will have a larger turbo and fuel system in the next month or so as soon as funds allow.

Unfortunately, I will be out of town this weekend for Memorial Day so I cant head up to Commerce. They are supposed to debut the 4WD dyno there and I know some DSM guys that are going. My friend Jason has a Laser like yours with a Garrett turbo from Extreme and it should run high 11s/low 12s if he can get his tranny working again. I have met Nitrous Todd a couple times and your right he is the fastest right now. I am hoping to get into the low 12s with my new turbo but I dont know if I want to push the envelope too far since the wrx is my only car and daily driver. We'll see...
    '03 STi killer

cool man i know Jason! I've met him at a few GA.dsm meets..nice guy and this black AWD laser should run some good numbers! my laser is pretty much stock and is FWD...i did run a 14.8@96 with it...only mods are kn,gutted cat,and 13 psi....no traction though with the FWD!!! LOL

good luck with the rex
    87 lx 5.0
    yeah its stock
    All motor
    Got torque?

Yea, I know a lot of the GA DSM guys but I think Jason is the fastest. Did you go to the DSM meet at Dave & Busters a few weeks ago? I was there with my blue rex.
    '03 STi killer

Question

whats your car run btw? Are u going to that import race at commerce this weekend? I might take my turbo DSM (1990 laser rs) and run it up there....Do u know Todd with the blue WRX with nitrous? I believe his is the fastest around these parts so far
    Hmmmm....'87 LX, fast on the motor alone....also a '90 Laser.... ...HOLY JALOOKIE, BATMAN!! Is this Conrad?!?

hey i'm a nice guy now!! Yeah i'm sure you have never lost to a mustang before Ya need to stop racing those 96gts...LOL.....anyways my car is never trailered and i drive it all the time on pump gas 93 octane!!! whats your car run? Like i said if the fastest WRX in the U.S only runs 12.2s then i have nothing to worry about because i'm faster than that and my car doesn't even need a power adder to run in the 11 second range
    Hi 87LX,

First let me welcome you to our little forum. I'm assuming you are a corral.net member - I recently joined there because I'm in love with the thought of owning an '03 Cobra, althought I know absolutely nothing about any Mustang platform. Anyway, that's a very nice forum.

I just wanted to clarify on that 12.2s quarter time you quoted. The first thing to point out is that this is the fastest ClubWRX/I-Club aware USDM Subaru WRX. There may very well be faster WRXes in the country whose owners simply do not browse either of these forums, or who have kept quiet about it.

Second, you might like to know that (assuming I know which car you are referring to) the WRX that ran that time was largely stock, using a (wet) 50-shot of nitrous to achieve that time. Stock turbo, stock fuel, etc. etc. There are many people who run much 'bigger' modifications (5k - 10k in mods) and who are also breaking into the low 12s. Imagine what they will achieve if they too run on the bottle.

Lastly, this vehicle platform is relatively new to the US, and the learning curve appears very steep right now. Mistakes are being made, but the tuning shops are moving forward in leaps and bounds. In Australia where they have much more experience with tuning Subarus in general, the same platform has been modified to yield 10 second flat quarter times.

So, expect to see the fastest USDM WRX quarter times fall one to two seconds over the course of the next year.

-Pace

originally posted by wrXXX
    Yea, I know a lot of the GA DSM guys but I think Jason is the fastest. Did you go to the DSM meet at Dave & Busters a few weeks ago? I was there with my blue rex.
    Yes i was there but i drove up in the stang since my laser was down at the time due to a bad ECU....I did remember seeing a blue WRX there...nice ride for sure!

as far as the fastest DSM i belive Jay with the 97 GSX has the fastest 1/4 time with a 11.8@119....Jason may be faster but hasn't run his car yet so who knows.....

originally posted by lyonsD
    Hmmmm....'87 LX, fast on the motor alone....also a '90 Laser.... ...HOLY JALOOKIE, BATMAN!! Is this Conrad?!?
    yeah its me...wazzzup!!!

originally posted by pace
    Hi 87LX,

First let me welcome you to our little forum. I'm assuming you are a corral.net member - I recently joined there because I'm in love with the thought of owning an '03 Cobra, althought I know absolutely nothing about any Mustang platform. Anyway, that's a very nice forum.

I just wanted to clarify on that 12.2s quarter time you quoted. The first thing to point out is that this is the fastest ClubWRX/I-Club aware USDM Subaru WRX. There may very well be faster WRXes in the country whose owners simply do not browse either of these forums, or who have kept quiet about it.

Second, you might like to know that (assuming I know which car you are referring to) the WRX that ran that time was largely stock, using a (wet) 50-shot of nitrous to achieve that time. Stock turbo, stock fuel, etc. etc. There are many people who run much 'bigger' modifications 5k - 10k in mods and who are also breaking into the 12s. Imagine what they will achieve if they run on the bottle.

Lastly, this vehicle platform is relatively new to the US, and the learning curve appears very steep right now. Mistakes are being made, but the tuning shops are moving forward in leaps and bounds. In Australia where they have much more experience with tuning Subarus in general, the same platform has been modified to yield 10 second flat quarter times.

So, expect to see the fastest USDM WRX quarter times fall one to two seconds over the course of the next year.

-Pace
    Yes i know about that blue WRX that ran those times because i was at the track that day when he ran those times...and yes i know that his car with an upgraded turbo and the bottle will definitely run a lot faster!!!

Hmm...how long have the WRXs been available in Austrailia? the first WRX in the U.S is the 2002 right? there are no 2001 Wrxs right?
    87 lx 5.0
    yeah its stock
    All motor
    Got torque?

Hmm...how long have the WRXs been available in Austrailia? the first WRX in the U.S is the 2002 right? there are no 2001 Wrxs right?
    Yes, the WRX is new to the US for '02. I believe the same platform was available in AUS as an MY01, but they have a good deal of experience (as does the UK) building the earlier Impreza platforms too.

One of the Aussie boys like MichaelWRX might be able to give you a better overview of the current state of their WRX tuning industry and it's history.

-Pace

I don't mind mustangs at all...I actually want the 2003 cobra...[homer simpson voice]mmm...supercharger....auuurrrggg. My coworker has a 11 sec 99 cobra with a ati procharger and a ton of other stuff and he LOVES the wrx. I haven't been able to give him a ride with my new setup since my car is on stilts waiting for the darn plugs, injectors, and fuel pump to arrive. , but he did say before that I would probably be able to beat most of his friends on the street from a stop light...of course that would be a different story if they put on slicks. My best time before was a 13.406@101.XX. That was at SDR when a few of us subie owners drove down. I'm expecting 12's once I'm finished next weekend.
    2006 Porsche Cayman S

Humm ...

Me and typcical American cars don't go well together. I want a car that does 0-60 <3.9sec and 1/4 mile <12.9. Actually I really don't care about the 1/4 mile but <13 would be nice. I just want one of the fastest cars doing 0-60 or even 0-80.
    2004 STI White/Gold
    251whp & 263ft/lbs ( Stock ): 0-60 = 4.8 ( Fastest = 4.1 ) & 1/4 = ?
    276whp & 290ft/lbs ( DP ): 0-60 = 4.5 & 1/4 = 12.9 @ 105mph

Re: Humm ...

Originally posted by chuglobal
    Me and typcical American cars don't go well together. I want a car that does 0-60 <3.9sec and 1/4 mile <12.9. Actually I really don't care about the 1/4 mile but <13 would be nice. I just want one of the fastest cars doing 0-60 or even 0-80.
    You sound like me...

I mean, really, how often are we gonna be going faster than 75 or 80? I personally don't want to get any tickets or lose my license. As long as I can get up to the 55 mph speed limit quickly, I don't care.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast