Ecounter with a Gran Prix
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Ecounter with a Gran Prix within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I pull up to a light and theres a white gran prix with some stickers on it.Not sure what year.Well ...

Ecounter with a Gran Prix

I pull up to a light and theres a white gran prix with some stickers on it.Not sure what year.Well light turns green,we both go normally then he floors and then I. 1st and 2nd gear we were even then I sowly pull ahead about 1-2 cars and then cut it around 90.We go again, no launching cause there was a curve then it got straight,he goes again and then gets left by 1-2 cars.Are these things supposed to be that fast.I was surprised,I know it wasnt my shifting..I actually thought I shifted real well or is it that fast?
    "They came they saw they lost"

02 Plat WRX:
    AutoMeter Boost Guage
    HKS SSQ bov
    Joe P MBC
    Blitz SUS Intake
    TurboXS Unichip on the way....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

there lucky if they can break into the 6's for 0-60. assuming its a FI V6. they are too heavy.
    Last edited by mark; 05-18-2002 at 10:28 AM.

Re: Ecounter with a Gran Prix

Originally posted by PlatRexSubie
    I actually thought I shifted real well or is it that fast?
    Was it a gtp? Those are pretty quick from a roll and easy to modify with a smaller pulley since they're supercharged. I think they use a roots type s/c so those boost quick; however, the power fades towards redline due to heat generated. I think they run 15 flat in the 1/4 stock, but they are VERY porky.
    2006 Porsche Cayman S

Are all GTP's supercharged? I've been wondering wtf GTP means...I had one about 4 weeks ago try to do some **** with me..
    Someone: Dude are you gonna get a body kit?
    Me: Well the day it adds any kind of performace....sure
    Someone looks confused

All GTP's are supercharged. As for being fast, From a dead start and stuff, they surely aren't a WRX. My wife has a GTP and it is good rolling at 60, but not great. My buddy that has a 99 mustang said he raced one and it kept up with him till it hit its top speed of 130. They were both stock. In other words, nice cars, nice ride and all that, but too heavy, automatic, and front wheel drive. Nuff said.

I think the run about 240hp, but they are over-weight, over-clad and over-winged. Cant imagine what the torque steer is like. One would think with stickers he would have gave you a better run.
    Last edited by JTREX; 05-20-2002 at 12:20 PM.
    Drag racing? I like my racing to last longer than the average orgasm...

I have a video of a GTP running a low 12 second quarter mile. The mods on the car are smaller pulley on the SC, exhaust work, LSD, and a few other smaller mods. So GTPs can run quick.

Stock, most GTP's run Mid 14's. Not all GTP's are Supercharged, only the ones made from 97.5 on. They are also not THAT Heavy, they weigh about 3300 with out all the optional add-ons, and 3400 with the wings etc.

They come stock with 240 hp/280 Ftq. Believe it or not, torque steer is hardly noticable.

the 0-60 time of 6.2 - 6.5 is about right, mainly because of off the line traction sucks.

As far as moding goes, they are about as easy as a Rex is. A smaller pulley and a CAI puts them into about 280 HP, 320 Ft/lbs of torque. Open up the exhaust, add new rockers, etc, and they are into the 300's for HP.

The two biggest limiting factors are Transmision, but now there is finally an aftermarket one availble, and the PCM. The PCM limits top speed to 118-126 for the GTP's (depending on suspension options) and 108-118 on the Regal GS. Aftermarket PCM's are getting less expensive and it's an easy install.

I sure hope it was a GTP or that is really embarassing. Grand Ams and Prixs are dogs.

Originally posted by mhoward1
    Stock, most GTP's run Mid 14's. Not all GTP's are Supercharged, only the ones made from 97.5 on. They are also not THAT Heavy, they weigh about 3300 with out all the optional add-ons, and 3400 with the wings etc.

They come stock with 240 hp/280 Ftq. Believe it or not, torque steer is hardly noticable.

the 0-60 time of 6.2 - 6.5 is about right, mainly because of off the line traction sucks.

As far as moding goes, they are about as easy as a Rex is. A smaller pulley and a CAI puts them into about 280 HP, 320 Ft/lbs of torque. Open up the exhaust, add new rockers, etc, and they are into the 300's for HP.

The two biggest limiting factors are Transmision, but now there is finally an aftermarket one availble, and the PCM. The PCM limits top speed to 118-126 for the GTP's (depending on suspension options) and 108-118 on the Regal GS. Aftermarket PCM's are getting less expensive and it's an easy install.
    Not to split hairs but, GTP Coupe=3494lb, Sedan=3559lb
    Drag racing? I like my racing to last longer than the average orgasm...

Wink

I was thinking of the Coupe, Sorry, missed it by 94 lbs...

Well we raced from a rolling start and he started a little bit ahead I bet if we would have luanched it would have been a different story. How fast would a supercharged gt be?cause the car had stickers and crap on it maybe not stock...i dunno?It just was pretty damn fast for a gran prix.
    "They came they saw they lost"

02 Plat WRX:
    AutoMeter Boost Guage
    HKS SSQ bov
    Joe P MBC
    Blitz SUS Intake
    TurboXS Unichip on the way....

OK guys- I just sold my 2000 GTP:

ALL GTP's are supercharged- of this bodystyle anyway.
    The GTP is super easy AND super cheap to modify- mine was pushing over 280 HP with less then 300 bucks put into the car.

The car was fast, but NOT as fast as the Rex is- it cooked the tires even on moderate launches- GREAT smoke show though!

It was a lot of fun with the Supercharger, because boost is on from idle to redline, although it dips failry sharply near the redline- the one thing I didn't like about the turbo (mine's a wagon) was waiting for the power to come on.

My rex would've spanked my GTP, but if the driver of a rex wasn't too good with a clutch, he'd DEFINITELY get his @$$ handed to him!

i had a 94 gtp and it wasn't supercharged...but i did enjoy driving it.

i like the looks of them..just wish they weren't automatic, fwd, etc.

but i like my wrx better
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.chumpmonkeygames.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally posted by mhoward1
    I was thinking of the Coupe, Sorry, missed it by 94 lbs...
    3494 - 3300 = 194

-Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast