Ecounter with a Gran Prix - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Ecounter with a Gran Prix within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; 3494 - 3300 = 194 from they weigh about 3300 with out all the optional add-ons, and 3400 with the ...

3494 - 3300 = 194
    from

they weigh about 3300 with out all the optional add-ons, and 3400 with the wings etc.
    Yes I was off, but its

SE 3384
    GT 3429
    GTP 3494

and for slightly older ones... (2000)
    GT Coupe 3386
    GTP Coupe 3455

When I was talking I was thinking Gran Prix's in general. So if it was a 97-2000, I was closer. If its a 2001-2002 I was off from 94-194.

Sorry for not being exact.

Last edited by mhoward1; 07-03-2002 at 02:27 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ALL of the GTP's on the LAST body style are supercharged. A bit overweight, but also I nice solid car. Great torque at low speed too I might add.

The GTP's have a 3.6L (or is it a 3.8L) and a roots supercharger on it. It's a lot like the T-Bird SC that Ford had back in '95. They push 240HP.

But listen up...I read in MotorTrend about 3 years ago about Pontiac making an upgraded optional model that has functional RAM-AIR (a la WS6 Transam) intake and hood along with a couple other goodies like exhaust and stuff. According to MotorTrend, they said the prototype had about 270-280HP!!!

Here's the catch...I've recently (as in within the last two months or so) actually seen one of these with the RamAir on it. They call it the GTX instead of the GTP. I am not sure if Pontiac brought it to market unchanged from the prototype or if it is detuned from what the Magazine Article was saying, but they DO exist. Trust me.

Actually, I kind of like these cars and wanted one for awhile, the GTX's looked pretty damn sweet too. And rare (so far).
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

They had a GTX for sale at one the dealers here not too long ago. They do look nice...

There were also plans for a Pontiac Grand Prix G8 in 2000.
    Don't know if it will ever fly.

There is info at clubgp. Here's part of it.

Demonstrating Grand Prix’s performance heritage, the G8 houses a 350HP 5.7L V8 LS-1 derivative engine that reaches zero to 60 in 5.5 seconds. Continuing Grand Prix’s Widetrack Handling message, the G8 utilizes an all-wheel drive Versatrak 4T65-E transmission coupled to an advanced performance suspension. Massive 19"x 9.5" custom designed and painted wheels grip Goodyear 255/40ZR19 Eagle F1 tires firmly to the road.

That would be something to look out for. Possibly even scared of...

Last edited by junaitari; 07-03-2002 at 04:46 PM.

Interesting: They plagiarized the Mustang front end...

-Pace

[Edit] Actually, it looks as though the entire body is Mustang-inspired. I guess GM saw that Ford's sales are doing well and they maybe needed something to compensate for the axing of the F-body....?!
    Last edited by pace; 07-03-2002 at 04:50 PM.

My wife wants one.

The GTX is from SLP, the same people that do the SS. The GTX Pachage includes a smaller pulley (3.4), Ram Air, and a few other items to keep the Charger cooler. The standard GTX package is 280 hp, and about 320-340 Ft/lbs of torque. SLP also offers a GSX Pachage for the Buick Regals.

More potent than the GTX is the Thrasher EP or the ZZP Performance package. That package includes an intercooler and pulleys as small as 2.8.

I encountered a GTP coming off the toll plaza and he didn't see me, nor I him, until he was easing off at about 80. I was in 5th and mashed it, pulled along side for the ride and really pi$$ed him off.

I stayed along side for a bit and he mashed it and pulled on me a little. So I downshifted to 4th, with a bit of a grind (which pi$$ed me off), and left him wondering how this little econobox station wagon had just jetted past him.

Our top end ain't as bad as some of us think.

And as much as we think our cars are the baddest things going, they're not.

Though I believe the guy in the GTP thought he had the baddest thing going, too.

Regards,
    Russ

"wider is better"
    Man I hated that ad campaign
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

The prototype was never built, all GTP's are 240 HP stock, even the GTX- it's a ram air hood package with some body decals and floor mats- there is no option to have a smaller pulley installed from SLP- they sell them, but it's up to you to put it on- it's like buying a bong- they're for "tobacco use only"- the pulley, if discovered may void the warranty on the supercharger, as the smaller pulley forces the supercharger to "exceed rotational capacity"- I bought a GTP new in 2000 and drove it for 2 years, including all the mods- by the way, intercoolers aren't available for the GTP- unless you go for the one manufacturer who sold them when I still had mine- for about $1800.00! IM(educated)O, we have better top end than the GTP, but the GTP would cook us off the line, "if" the front tires could hook up- some SERIOUSLY sweet smoke shows from my GTP

We don't have to worry too much about Grand Prixs but they're competing with V6 Altimas right now. What's scary is the new GTO coming out next year. That thing's gonna HAUL!! Good thing though, more stock for stock competition for us

we have better top end than the GTP
    With the 127 MPH Limiter on the GTP and 108 for the GS, Top end isn't much of a concern for Rex's. Unless the PCM is replaced.

As far as the SLP GTX, a pulley is now included in the new package (This is not the same as the Dealer GTX).

Here is the latest on the SLP Lineup

2003 SLP Line Up

The new Line up may also include the new DHP Computers (PCMs) that will remove the limiter and changes everything from shift points to fuels tables.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.