AMG Compressor vs STi
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on AMG Compressor vs STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was on a two lane road trying to go around this guy in an AMG kompressor. I wanted to ...

AMG Kompressor vs STi

I was on a two lane road trying to go around this guy in an AMG kompressor. I wanted to get in front of him so I could make the turn at the next light. He punched the gas and shut the door on me. So I ended up next to him at a light.
    The race.
    The light turned green and he nails it. He gets about 1/2- 3/4 car jump on me before I launch.
    Well I left the line fast and made a clean shift into 2nd gear.. At the top of 2nd gear shifting into 3rd ( 58mph or so), I was side by side with him and pulling slightly. Just about a second later he lets off. I was definately in front of him when he let off. The speed limit was 50mph so I think he just wanted to race up to 60mph or so, or he just gave up as soon as he saw I had caught him. Not sure , but was happy to end it there.
    First off those cars are fast. I made a 100% perfectly clean run from 0-60mph and I was only slightly in front of this guy. He did get the jump on me, but still.
    I knew those AMG's were fast and this one didn't disappoint me.
    Last edited by SGOSWRX; 12-11-2003 at 09:01 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good race. Just curious, did he not have any wheelspin? You mentioned that he got a jump on you. Was his reaction time THAT fast? Not too many street racer people can have a much faster reaction time than you. You have enough kills to be a fighter pilot ace!
    2012 Black WRX Premium
    2003 wrb WRX - Cobb Stage 2

what AMG was it?

c32 kompressor?
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

Originally posted by 03WRX
    Good race. Just curious, did he not have any wheelspin? You mentioned that he got a jump on you. Was his reaction time THAT fast? Not too many street racer people can have a much faster reaction time than you. You have enough kills to be a fighter pilot ace!

I gave him the jump. He just slightly broke the tires loose. He hooked really well. As soon as he let the line, I reacted. Thats why he got off the line first. I don't like to rev and jump off the line, unless I know for sure the other car is racing. Not the smartest thing to do when racing. But I wasn't 100% sure we were going to race. So I waited for him to make the move.

About what model of car it was. I'm not sure. It was a 2 door mid size Benz . All I noticed on the rear of the car was
    AMG Compressor.

Originally posted by capt'n'caveman
    c32 kompressor?

Yes, thats it. When we raced all I noticed was the AMG and Kompressor badge. Thats all I remembered.
    I looked at a picture of the C32 Kompressor and thats the car. It was a mid sized Benz with the AMG badging.

The C32 AMG is a 4 door sedan, the CL55 is the 2 door AMG version.

The CL55 is much faster, with an under-rated 493 hp and 516 ft-lbs. It also costs over 120k!

The C32 is no slouch though. 349 hp and 332 ft-lbs.

Are you sure it wasn't a 4 door? Maybe it wasnt a new (2003 and above CL55)?
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

good kill, they are supposed to have better top end than C5's.

Originally posted by silverscooby
    The C32 AMG is a 4 door sedan, the CL55 is the 2 door AMG version.

The CL55 is much faster, with an under-rated 493 hp and 516 ft-lbs. It also costs over 120k!

The C32 is no slouch though. 349 hp and 332 ft-lbs.

Are you sure it wasn't a 4 door? Maybe it wasnt a new (2003 and above CL55)?
    It was definately a 2 door and mid size, that much I know for sure. From the back of the car all I saw was AMG Kompressor. I didn't see anything else. Maybe I just wasn't looking good enough.
    I see the car all the time in the morning on my way to work. I will see what model it is for sure. The guy drives it really fast so I'm sure we will have another go at it eventually.

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    It was definately a 2 door and mid size, that much I know for sure. From the back of the car all I saw was AMG Kompressor. I didn't see anything else. Maybe I just wasn't looking good enough.
    I see the car all the time in the morning on my way to work. I will see what model it is for sure. The guy drives it really fast so I'm sure we will have another go at it eventually.
    You raced an SLK32 roadster, just like this.. It's basically the same engine as the C32, but this thing is a lil lighter..
    01 CL Type S *Sold*
    04 Silver/Gold STi
    -COBB AP Stage 2 / 93 oct
    -Drop in K&N filter
    -Bosal Single Tip Catback
    -Helix 3" Catless Downpipe
    -Replica STi front strut tower brace

C32

By the way, those cars only come in automatic. All you got to do is step on the gas and go. And yes, they are pretty quick...I have seen them quarter in the very low 13's all day.

Good kill by the way...

Dont be fooled by the AMGs anymore. The AMGs have the BEST auto trans in the world hands down. All the AMGs also have what is called a launch mode, as does BMWs SMG and Ferraris F1 system. This allows little to no wheel spin and a perfect launch when you punch it. I have seen the S600 (not AMG but still a V12 twin turbo with 493hp) run a 12.5 STOCK at ATCO in NJ. They are fast cars. If it was a CL, SL, or S with 55 on the back, he would have beaten the STi, they all run low 12s and 0-60 in just over 4 seconds. The C32 and the SLK32 are just supercharged V6s and they run times compareable to the M3, new S4 times. Mid 13s and high 4 sec 0-60. So an STi would probably win in a race, but not by much.
    Much more money then the STi though, so let them be faster if they want to drop over $100,000 on a car.
    Just introduce them to old man winter, then ask for a rematch.
    WRX - It's not a rocket. It's a guided missile.

Originally posted by Mabf355
    Dont be fooled by the AMGs anymore. The AMGs have the BEST auto trans in the world hands down. All the AMGs also have what is called a launch mode, as does BMWs SMG and Ferraris F1 system. This allows little to no wheel spin and a perfect launch when you punch it. I have seen the S600 (not AMG but still a V12 twin turbo with 493hp) run a 12.5 STOCK at ATCO in NJ. They are fast cars. If it was a CL, SL, or S with 55 on the back, he would have beaten the STi, they all run low 12s and 0-60 in just over 4 seconds. The C32 and the SLK32 are just supercharged V6s and they run times compareable to the M3, new S4 times. Mid 13s and high 4 sec 0-60. So an STi would probably win in a race, but not by much.
    Much more money then the STi though, so let them be faster if they want to drop over $100,000 on a car.
    we don't have no launch mode. All we do is brake-torquing and hoping that the rear doesn't spin.

anywayz, you saw "kompressor" on the back of the car??? or on the side of the car?? if it was a coupe it might be the new or old CLK55 or the new or old CL55. I doubt that you don't know an SLK if you see one.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

Originally posted by Mabf355
    Well, if this car does mid 13s in the 1/4 mile and its that easy just to punch the gas and hit those times...somethings not quite right with the outcome of this race (not calling BS). The dude must have made a slight mistake or something. I'd say if he can hit mid 13s and since its an auto, its going to be more consistent..and the STI in SGOSWRX's sig is hitting low 13s...and he gave the Benz a "1/2 car to 3/4 car lead before I launched" ...know what I mean?

On the street, things like reaction time means everything. Typically, something like this would lead to a loss IMO. You can't let people launch on you like that man! Also, you typically do this on the street, even when you race 'Vettes and stuff? I don't understand how you do it...give similar cars the jump and then reel them in.
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

Originally posted by FrankW
    anywayz, you saw "kompressor" on the back of the car??? or on the side of the car?? if it was a coupe it might be the new or old CLK55 or the new or old CL55. I doubt that you don't know an SLK if you see one.
    None of the AMG's say Kompressor on the back; it would only be on the sides of the front fenders. Many of the non-AMG cars with a supercharged engine say Kompressor on the back but don't mistake them for a real AMG. Hopefully, we didn't have a C230K coupe posing with AMG badges. The following link may help you identify the car and learn more about AMG:

http://www.mbusa.com/amg/index.jsp
    2003 Subaru WRX Sedan 5 spd.
    Platinum Silver, TurboXS Stage 3 and lots of other goodies. See profile.

2002 Mercedes Benz C32 AMG

2005 Lotus Elise on order

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast