JUN 350Z crash VID

This is a discussion on JUN 350Z crash VID within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Here is footage of the Silver State Classic. The video's language is Japanese, so I have no idea what went ...

JUN 350Z crash VID

Here is footage of the Silver State Classic. The video's language is Japanese, so I have no idea what went wrong. This video illustrates how important safety equiptment is!! Here is a LINK to the video. It is an avi and you will need Media Player 9 or DivX to watch it.
    2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i [Bone Stock]
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 [303 hp/323 tq] - SOLD

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    DAMN
    I wish I could understand Japanese so I could find out what the hell happened!!
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

I read about it in Car and Driver. I believe that it blew a tire after only 7 miles.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Originally posted by MidKnight
    DAMN
    I wish I could understand Japanese so I could find out what the hell happened!!
    2003 SRT-4

Damn!!! Thank God for the roll cage..
    01 CL Type S *Sold*
    04 Silver/Gold STi
    -COBB AP Stage 2 / 93 oct
    -Drop in K&N filter
    -Bosal Single Tip Catback
    -Helix 3" Catless Downpipe
    -Replica STi front strut tower brace

Jeepers
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

Originally posted by silverscooby
    I read about it in Car and Driver. I believe that it blew a tire after only 7 miles.
    You are correct sir.
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

Just got done watching that...scary. I'd fill my britches if I blew a tire at 200+mph.

But something bothers me. The car was wiggly when the tire went, not too bad, certainly not safe. Why was he loading up the rears by downshifting? Would it not have made sense to pop it into neutral and let it coast down, rather than put ADDITIONAL stress on the rear tires? What caused the spin in my perception is the wildly different amount of grip the blown tire had. By loading up the rear(I betcha the drivers side rear was the one that let go), it caused it to rotate towards the side with less grip and at 150ish mph thats a VERY bad thing.

I've lost a tire at 70 before. All I did was let off the gas and keep the steering imputs to the absolute minimum. Granted it wasn't a 690 hp race car doing 150 mph, but I sure as hell didn't go downshifting, I let physics do the braking for me.
    2003 WRB Wagon. Vishnu Stage 2(VF30). DBA 5010's/steel lines/Carbotech Bobcat pads, MRT topmount. Tein coilovers, 22/24 mm sways, ALK....I'M DONE!!!!!!

cnk
    If it was the rear tire that blew, downshifting would have transferred weight to the front wheels and take weight off the rears. I would have just put the clutch in and shifted to neutral as well, but IIRC, there was a turn coming up further down the road. At the speeds he was going at, he may not have been able to slow down in time, hence the reason why he started to downshift. You would expect that he was a professional driver and would know the correct action to do though.

Calvin

I would have put it neutral and yanked on the e-brake!
    2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i [Bone Stock]
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 [303 hp/323 tq] - SOLD

Ahhh, yeah the turns. Forgot about that. If thats the case downshifting was the proper thing to do. I betcha that rig didn't have abs, and besides a blown tire would make abs lose it's mind. I guess a blown tire at 150 mph pretty much just sucks. I'll keep that in mind next time I think about burying my speedo needle.

Oh man that was sick. Thank god for roll cages. Sucks to see such a nice car go like that thought.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

The driver is lucky to be alive. Losing a tire at speed SUCKS.

-Jim