Close race: My stock STi vs Modded 350z
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Close race: My stock STi vs Modded 350z within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My STi is fully stock with the exception of a cut off air box. My friend's 350z has a Catback ...

Thumbs up Close race: My stock STi vs Modded 350z

My STi is fully stock with the exception of a cut off air box. My friend's 350z has a Catback dual piping exhaust system, Intake, and Air/Fuel Ratio controller (may have more mods though).

We were at a 25mph roll, i was in second gear, 3 beeps, we take off, i get a head start, to my surprise he kept up. I underestimated the 350z, I thought it would be an easy win.

Through 2nd and 3rd, the front of his car was parallel to my rear wheels. (Forgot to hit my IC Spray!!!!)

Hit 4th, a very small gain (I think the front of his car was now parallel or slightly behind my rear bumper), but he was still there. At the end of 4th gear, he kept his ground.

I'm pretty happy with the results.

Close race.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Im surprised he hung that well too... Nice race
    2003 SRT-4

I also forgot to mention if you guys were wondering, i was shifting around 6k-6.3k rpms each gear.

Re: Close race: My stock STi vs Modded 350z

Originally posted by x Neo x
    My STi is fully stock with the exception of a cut off air box. My friend's 350z has a Catback dual piping exhaust system, Intake, and Air/Fuel Ratio controller (may have more mods though).
    All of his gains are from the intake and AFC. SCC proved that the stock exhaust is excellent on the 350Z. I'd be willing to bet he's running nitrous too.

-Jim

The AFC and intake prob puts him over 300HP at the crank, so from a roll it's not surprising that he hung with you. I'm acutally sorta surpised he didn't pull on you a lil bit.... Get some mods and that thing and start eating him up

those are some sweet rides...my buddy just got an 03' a few months ago (tiptronic unfortunately) and theyre pretty quick. they seem a lil quicker from a roll too. they only trap at 99-100mph stock though and like 14 flat so im surprised it kept up w/ you too. i think the best recorded stock time was 13.7...he was probly spraying good kill anyways

I'm not really sure it takes much for the z to keep up with an sti. A 350z owner had posted a video of his stock car keeping up with a stock sti on the highway.
    03 wrx
    karboy ss/bushings, blitz dtt, catless, prodrive axleback

Re: Re: Close race: My stock STi vs Modded 350z

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    All of his gains are from the intake and AFC. SCC proved that the stock exhaust is excellent on the 350Z. I'd be willing to bet he's running nitrous too.

-Jim
    Jim, did you ever sell your Z?
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

I ran across a nice silver 350 Z (appeared to have a catback, any other mods I couldn't tell) one evening about a month ago. He had a passenger in the car. We were doing about 70 mph on the expressway (355 southbound), and I egged him on a bit by speeding up and slowing down. He quickly played along and hit it and got a slight jump. After a good amount of time, I'd say I started inching up on him before we both backed off. Did it a 2nd time with similar results. Almost an even match for my stage II car which traps 100-101 mph. I'd expect a lightly modded 350Z to pull away from me, or at least match an STi in similar circumstances.

I laugh whenever it's suggested that another car "must have had laughing gas" in order to pull off a good run.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

I dont think he was sprayin, i could ask him tho. He's a big NA fan, not into the turbo or the nos catagory.

He actually gave me a ride in it about a month 1/2 ago w/ those mods i listed, and that thing had some good top end. It picks up pretty fast.

350Z's can trap around 100mph in the 1/4 so it really not a big suprize that one could hang with your stock STi from a roll.

Did you guys race from a dead stop? I'm just curious. It seems that all these races I keep reading about are from a roll against the STi's, which really takes away from the STi's best quality. Its great 60' times.

But I know its not always easy to get someone to line up from a dead stop against a awd car.

i'm surprise that he didn't pull on you, since the race was from a roll

btw, i don't mean pull on you like you were standing still, but at least get a car on ya
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

I Support ClubWRX
    The gearing on the 350Z is very well matched to engine, especially from a rolling start.
    Theoretically, a 350Z should be able to beat an STi at 5-60MPH. Anthing above that, and the STi has the edge by a half second or two.
    I've ran a few, and they are quite quick. If they get the jump, it does take little bit to real them in.

From a launch though, as usual, it's not much of a challenge.

Scott
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

It wasn't from a complete stop, we were cruisin by eachtoher at about 25mph, i was in second, not sure what he was in, but three beeps then gone.

damn i would like to get a race going with an sti .. i own a 03 350z.. i put my aem intake .. also nismo exhaust with random cats....did it in the garage while it was snowing like crazy outside( im in nj)...anyways damn i never took it out yet though.. salt all over . ...but i do enjoy just revving it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gffg.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast