WRX v.s. Marauder - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on WRX v.s. Marauder within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; It is nothing like a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. The list of differences is bigger than the list of ...

It is nothing like a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. The list of differences is bigger than the list of similarities. Other than the body panels, that's about where it ends. To say it's just a blacked out cop car is ignorant. It's like saying an STi is just an Impreza with BBS wheels.

A Marauder is not a cheap car. For $35k you could easily own a Corvette. You won't be putting 5 people and their luggage in it though.

You must live in a world where every car is stock. In that line of thought, 14.0 for a WRX ain't all that fast; certainly not that much quicker than a Marauder to make fun of them. Negating an AWD launch, a Marauder is just as quick as a WRX from a roll, both trapping around 95 mph. Compare it to an automatic WRX and it gets even closer.

There are sleeper plain-Jane Crown Vics that'll leave you wondering what happened (for example, how's 12.50 @ 110 on 93 octane & plain Dunlops?) An understated car is much more enjoyable than one that yells to the world "Hey, look how fast I am!" Look at a black debadged WRX to see what I mean.

There are many 400+ rwhp Marauders out there. It's no slower than a stock Impala SS, yet I don't see anyone bashing them. Give the Marauder platform 10 years to be developed and they'll be just as fast and even more rare.

Laugh all you want at the Marauder board's reactions. I'm sure the same thing would happen over here if someone registered the name RWDV8OWNZU just to post about how easily he blasted WRXs. I've plastered just about every make & model out there and I don't join their message board just to let them know about it.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A 14.0 sec 1/4 for the WRX vs. 15.4 sec for the Marauder. That is 1.4 sec quicker. That's not that much faster? That's like saying a Z06 which hits the1/4 in 12.5 isn't much faster than a stock WRX. Same time difference. There are sleeper cars for almost every make of car. Once modifications start happening, all bets are off. Comparing stock to stock, the WRX is faster than a Marauder. Period. I don't mind the Marauder. Would I buy one? Probably not. I do think it was a good attempt by Merc to make a new age muscle car. However, they completely missed the mark in my book.
    Last edited by Stuss76; 12-10-2003 at 08:33 AM.
    '02 White WRX Wagon
    VF34, STi Pinks, Perrin IC Hoses, AP V2, Borla Catback, Perrin Up-pipe, Stromung Downpipe

Car and Driver tested the Kenny Brown Marauder (just about as quick as a Stage 4 WRX) 0-60 4.5sec; 1/4 mile 13.1@108mph
    Price as tested $54,000

Stock it is a tepid performer. 0-60 in 7.5sec; 1/4mile in 15.5 @91mph

The following is text from the article, pretty funny stuff.

"The Marauder is a 302-hp, $34,495 souped-up version of the V-8-powered, rear-drive Mercury Grand Marquis that's supposed to be a real terror on the road. Says brand manager Philip Smoker: "The new Marauder is a true four-door muscle car—a black shark in a sea of minnows." Hey, easy on the caffeine, Phil, because a Honda Accord V-6 outruns it to 60 mph—getting there in 7.0 seconds to the Marauder's 7.5. Nothing against Honda, but that's like wrestling your little sister—and losing. We bet every single Marauder owner will utter—at least once—the phrase, "Hmm, this thing feels pretty soft, I wonder if a couple of spark-plug wires fell off."

Entire Article here: http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

If the magazine is right, then how is my "plain" Grand Marquis faster than a Marauder with only a $300 programmer? I'm still not up to 300hp. Like I said, I don't know why they grannied up the car before releasing it but it's quite simple to undo. Just a chip will take close to a full second off the 1/4 mile time as you let the engine rev and let the transmision shift quickly instead of softly. They undertuned it (so it wouldn't offend the 50+ y.o. owners they thought it would attract) and they undergeared it (probably fuel economy & noise concerns). Personally I hate the "Mercury God's head" emblem; the standard Mercury emblem looks much nicer.

"Modded" is relative. If you're comparing to a $5k supercharger then yes, that's modded. If they did gears & a chip, that's basically stock. It's like finding a true "stock" Mustang - nobody owns one because there are so many easy mods. Hell, it's like a stock WRX - you'd be a fool not to use at least a MBC for 1-2 extra psi. even if you do nothing else the entire time you own the car.

My point is the car has all the right parts, just poor execution. Any owner can fix that, and looking at the demographics of Marauder owners it's easy to expect that most of them began modding right away.

Talk like that reminds me of domestic owners who say "A WRX runs 14.0s. I'm much faster than that so I don't have to worry about them on the street. They can't handle my 13.50s in thier little import" and somehow think that's the limits of the car. "Well, they run 14.0's from the factory so I might as well quit now. Nevermind there's a full second to be gained for almost free."
    John M
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

John, agreed.

It is also important to keep in mind how much more initial (first $500 or so) power a turbocharged car will get with modding.
    Run Forest, Run
    04 Java Black 5Mt XT

theres a fella here in jax that went to gainesville with a Vortech charger and ran a low 12 on his first run. Same fella with a MarkVIII that run mid 11.s......
    Last edited by Slo STI; 12-13-2003 at 11:21 PM.
    01' GSXR1K Sold
    02' S2K Turbo Sold 5-24
    04 SLO STI Sold 01/04
    03' Cobra
    Pictures

Originally posted by VA_WRX
    Oh well it isn't worth soiling your depends or choking on your Metamucil over. Just put the vitamin bottle down real slow and come in the TV room and watch Matlock.

-Jim

Let me chip in... NOBODY CARES... Thats like Me goin on a F150 forum and braggin how bad i smoked this loser when he tried denying me a mergelane. They dont care, I dont care, and neither should you... Dont go brag to other sites, its just childish... I wish people like the idiot that went over to that maurader site, had their wrx keys taken away from them and given to true enthusiasts who arent cocky and biased, import obsessed, antiamerican bastards. Cause afterall... how many supra or LS1 owners do u see trolling over here? Almost all of their cars are better straight-line performers than 95% of the people on clubwrx, or any other suby forum... Yet they know and we know the foodchain, they arent douches like some of the people i find on this forum...

Dont be an @ss...
    Peace
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

Those guys are just mad because their 35k Maruader could easily be smoked by a Honda Accord...
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

I dunno. I stopped reading when I got to this:

I dont hate the Merc. I actually like it and thought about trading my Rex for the Merc.

You guys dont need to hate the WRX, its a great car and so is the Marauder.
    Are you part Iraqi or something? You turned pretty fast.

Anybody who "hates" another car because it's not what they drive is a moron. End of story.
    John M

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123