stock Benz c-230 kompressor sedan vs stock rex?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on stock Benz c-230 kompressor sedan vs stock rex? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Sup fellas, this is my first post here cuz in 2-3 weeks ill be buying a new 2004 rex but ...

stock Benz c-230 kompressor sedan vs stock rex?

Sup fellas, this is my first post here cuz in 2-3 weeks ill be buying a new 2004 rex but ive got a friend with a stock Benz c-230 kompressor sedan who claims he will kill my rex. He really doesnt know much about cars and normally talks **** about everything but i was wondering who would win in this race? Thanks in advance
    Krewshall

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The Benz will win by 18-20.5 carlengths.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

You'll win if you can drive.
    1/4 mile times:
    Stock WRX: low-mid 14s
    Stock supercharged C230: low-mid 15s

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    you'll win if you can drive well and you guys race from a stop
    2003 SRT-4

I am in Winston-Salem. If he wants to meet up with me, I will smoke him in my stock Rex.
    1967 Camaro
    2002 WRX SOLD

If you can't beat him, it means your driving sucks!

No seriously, if you get a good launch, he'll be toast. If you bog, then it's gonna be real close. So just don't bog

your odds arent good seeing as youve never launched an awd car before, and havent come across really crappy synchros like youll find in the subaru. If he understands the concept of powerbraking (auto) or he knows how to launch, im pretty sure that a wrx with an unexperienced driver can lose, you have to drive a good 600 miles of gentle breakin before beating the hell out of the car like that. my 2cents
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

yea, im waiting til after the breakin period to race him. I dont want to hurt the engine just to prove a point i also as of now cant drive stick but i will learn on the WRX so i think after the breakin period i should be good.

Originally posted by krewshall
    yea, im waiting til after the breakin period to race him. I dont want to hurt the engine just to prove a point i also as of now cant drive stick but i will learn on the WRX so i think after the breakin period i should be good.
    Once your car is broken in go somewhere a practice launching your WRX.
    The best was is to rev it to 4-5k and quickly let out the clutch and floor the gas at the same time. If you do it right you should get a little bit of wheel spin and jump off the line like a bat out of hell. If you bogg, you not launching with enough rpm.

If you can launch your car well, you will beat him big time. Its all in the launch.

Had a middle aged guy in a 230 at a stoplight in DC. Didn't realize he was ready to go until it was too late and my wife was in the car, so my launch sucked. But I tell you, when he saw I was trying to catch up, he was OUT. That car is not slow.

Thumbs up

I can give you a pretty good idea, as I own both cars. I have an '02 Rex wagon and my wife has an '03 C230 Sport Coupe Kompressor. I am completely impressed by the C230K...it's not going to beat every car on the road, but it will hold it's own. I think it's actually 10 lbs lighter than my car, so nearly the same weight. RWD (yaaayyy!!!!) and ours has the 3.47 gears (most autos have the lower 3.27's) and it hauls pretty good on the low end. Coupled with a fairly flat torque curve from the supercharged 1.8L I4, it feels pretty fast in the low range. It falls off in the middle range and then picks back up in the higher revs.

Even with the good low-end power on tap (depends on gearing a lot, too - some C's even have 3.67 rears), the AWD advantage will carry the Rex over the C from the launch. I'd say the only problems would be if the Rex doesn't launch - that would be a tough game of catch up. I think the C could definitely take it on top (160 speed and I don't doubt it one bit, sans limiter).

The little Kompressor coupe has made a believer out of me. The wife had to have the auto-stick tranny, but it's by far the best auto transmission I have ever driven. It has very good upshift and downshift points when you just let it do it's thing...it's a very "smart" auto...behaves as much like a manual as it can for being an automatic. I have lots of AMG dreams these days. The C definitely has much better fit and finish than the WRX. But, at the end of the day, if you launch it like you stole it the Rex will previal...till you get on the highway, anyway (stock for stock).

On a side note - if you ever think WRX aftermarket parts are expensive, do yourself a favor and check out some stuff for the C's. I had aspirations of doing a few things to the Kompressor that were quickly shot down more by the price than the "eye" from the wife! It's amazing how much mods cost for this car on the HP/$ calculator. Very, very, very nice car though...with a pretty good sack on it for what it's worth.

Cheers,

Scrat

P.S. - check out this -

http://www.brabus-online.de/special/06bbe.htm

and this...though it's not mine (I wish!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c230-silver.jpg  
    "Jesus saves, Gretzky scores"

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the
    morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. " ~Frank Sinatra

Once your car is broken in go somewhere a practice launching your WRX.
    The best was is to rev it to 4-5k and quickly let out the clutch and floor the gas at the same time. If you do it right you should get a little bit of wheel spin and jump off the line like a bat out of hell
    Do this and you will be posting in the transmission problems section in no time, smoking a car you know is slower on paper is not worth smoking the tranny
    Its all fun and games till someone loses an eye....

even if you can't shift you'll probably still have no problem to take on the C230k sedan. The WRX is so much lighter which = better power to weight ratio.

at best, the C230k sedan is still a 7 second car. The WRX runs under 6 seconds in the best condition.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

Scrat wrx- How much is like an intake for the damn thing. I think the best gain would be to upgrade the supercharger pulley but I bet that cost an arm and a leg.

I remember when my sister got her 325i she was like oh i want to lower it and put an M3 body kit and rims and exhaust and blah blah we looked up some parts online her expression went from to ...too much cash for not that much.

Krew- I think you should learn to drive stick before u race.

Originally posted by grimm
    Do this and you will be posting in the transmission problems section in no time, smoking a car you know is slower on paper is not worth smoking the tranny

Why is it everytime someone says you need to practice your launch someone jumps in with a reply like this. This is a racing forum. Not a don't race your car because you might break something forum.

If your new to driving an AWD car, you better practice your launch. If you don't your going to bogg everytime. I came from driving LS1 z28s and it was nearly impossible for me to launch my WRX. I had to go practice to get it right.

I also had over 150 time slips down the track in my Stage 4 WRX. I raced my WRX almost every Friday night for over a year. I also spent a lot of time practicing my launch on the street.. I sold my WRX with 25,000 mile and the car still ran perfect.

Don't get me wrong. I know that driving like gramma or keeping your car in the garage all day is definatly going to make it last longer. But if you want to race your WRX , you need to practice.
    Some of us like to race our cars. Obviously you don't.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.