stock Benz c-230 kompressor sedan vs stock rex? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on stock Benz c-230 kompressor sedan vs stock rex? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Remember the theory that if you dump your clutch at high enough power it actually SAVES your tranny by wheelspin, ...

Remember the theory that if you dump your clutch at high enough power it actually SAVES your tranny by wheelspin, and I do believe that theory has not been disproven yet! (although I personally am still a clutch slipper as I would rather spend a day replacing my clutch than take the risk...)
    '03 white rex

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by verc
    Remember the theory that if you dump your clutch at high enough power it actually SAVES your tranny by wheelspin, and I do believe that theory has not been disproven yet! (although I personally am still a clutch slipper as I would rather spend a day replacing my clutch than take the risk...)

Yes, slipping your clutch is much easier on the tranny if done correctly. Unfortunately, when you slip the clutch it gets extemely hot and usually continues to slip while going down the track. In a stock WRX its usually not that much of an issue. But in a modded WRX, such as my Stage 4, it really hurts performance. You will run much slower times. I couldnt slip the clutch out even if I wanted to. If I did my WRX would run like crap all the way down the track.

But I definately agree with you, if all you want to do is occasionally launch a stockish WRX, and your worried about your tranny, then slipping it out is much safer.

Why is it everytime someone says you need to practice your launch someone jumps in with a reply like this. This is a racing forum. Not a don't race your car because you might break something forum.
    The reason is, warenties are being voided left and right cause the abuse these cars are taking. I have seen claims on this site denied even though there was no basis for abuse. Break it from abuse..... own up to it and pay yourself, dont make people that treat the cars right suffer. And for dumping the clutch, slipping is the way to go. Dropping the clutch from 5 grand wont last your tranny long, there will be barely any wheelspin in an AWD. If it was a rear wheel or FWD dumping the clutch is great, the wheelspin takes the load off the tranny. The WRX has an AWD system that takes power from spinning tires and tranfers it to others which means the tranny is taking all the load (I dont know if you have ever seen the gears in the tranny they are small and not beefed up, imagine the load of a 3500 pound car launching with the small teeth on these gears) And also Where the hell did you get this as a racing forum
    Its all fun and games till someone loses an eye....

Originally posted by wrxpaul
    Scrat wrx- How much is like an intake for the damn thing. I think the best gain would be to upgrade the supercharger pulley but I bet that cost an arm and a leg.
    Hey there!
    I'm pretty sure there's not even an intake available for the 1.8L version ('03+) yet. See, the C230 sport coupe came out in '02, but it had a 2.3L motor w/ a roots-style S/C that made roughly the same HP as the newer ('03+) 1.8L w/ a twin-screw S/C that puts out quite a bit more boost. Not a whole lot in the way of mods available for the newer 1.8 yet. The S/C pulley runs around $650+ and only adds around 10 hp or so. There are exhaust systems that run upwards of $2,000 that only add like 3-6 HP...that's just downright depressing! Guess these cars are already about as tweaked as they're going to get from the MB factory.

Cheers,

Scrat
    "Jesus saves, Gretzky scores"

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the
    morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. " ~Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Scrat WRX
    Hey there!
    I'm pretty sure there's not even an intake available for the 1.8L version ('03+) yet. See, the C230 sport coupe came out in '02, but it had a 2.3L motor w/ a roots-style S/C that made roughly the same HP as the newer ('03+) 1.8L w/ a twin-screw S/C that puts out quite a bit more boost. Not a whole lot in the way of mods available for the newer 1.8 yet. The S/C pulley runs around $650+ and only adds around 10 hp or so. There are exhaust systems that run upwards of $2,000 that only add like 3-6 HP...that's just downright depressing! Guess these cars are already about as tweaked as they're going to get from the MB factory.

Cheers,

Scrat
    the 1.8 still has the roots-type s/c. the chip will give it around 10-15 hp, pulley = 10-15hp, and the exhaust is another 10-15hp depends on who makes it. You can also change a lot of different stuff like the intercooler and such.

as far as they are tweaked to the max from the factory is just the opposite especially for the AMGs.

a friend of mine w/ the C32's now putting down 370rwhp after spending around $5-6k at Evosport. upgrades include headers, chip, larger IC reservior, etc.
    Nothing but good ol' replicas...on my good ol' poser c240

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12