WRX vs Boxter - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on WRX vs Boxter within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Someone sound the bull**** alarm boxster 201 hp 2800 lbs passat 190 hp 3400 lbs... This is not possible if ...

Someone sound the bull**** alarm

boxster 201 hp 2800 lbs
    passat 190 hp 3400 lbs...

This is not possible if he was putting forth any effort at all. Come on

The boxster isn't that quick (not the old one) but let's be realistic when a car weighs more it takes longer to accelerate it's all about power to weight ratios. Unless you're an idiot driver at the low horsepower of a stock boxster or WRX you really dont need AWD to get a good launch. AWD drive trains have more losses in the transmission too. 10 hp doesn't make up for 300 more lbs.

Also http://www.geocities.com/row4navy/streetracing.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

BRH, you are dead wrong.

There is a lot more that goes into acceleration than simply power and weight. If that were so, then there would be no reason to drag race - you could simply park at the light and exchange statistics.

Why do you think that BMW's, typically (M an exception) underpowered compared to the competition are usually quicker? Beacause it's not just the hp and weight numbers that count! The gearing and power curve make a massive difference - as does aerodynamics above 75 mph. The Passat has about the lowest cd of any car on the road - especially a Boxster with the top down.

I had a 135 hp GTI 16v that could pull a Mustang GT HARD! Why? Power to weight I was dead - but I had secret racing gears in the tranny! Yes that's right - gears.

For arguements sake - take a stock Mustang GT, and drag it against the exact same car with different rear end gears. What do you think would happen? In your arguement, the acceleration would be the same - same power to weight. But you would be WRONG!!!!!

A stock Boxster accellerates to 60 in the low 6's. A Passat with a MANUAL tranny and V6 (like mine) does in the high 6's. A poor driver in the Porsche ( yes he was trying - after laughing at me. Why else take his car up to 115 down the street BEHIND ME?)
    The difference? I was the better driver, and he couldn't get his car to accelerate as quickly as the experts from Car and Driver or Road and Track. Ask any racer (I've been racing in the SCCA for 8 years) and they will tell you - the driver is the biggest componant of a drag race between two cars close in performance.

Hi everybody. I couldn't help following this thread after I first saw it through the Boxster Board recently. Like BRH986, I am a Boxster owner. However I have to agree with rracer-x. Interestingly there was a similar thread recently on the Boxster Board. Someone asked what was the cheapest way to upgrade the hp on a 2.7 Boxster. The response was overwhelmingly to invest in some DE (driver education). Several examples were sited of skilled Boxster owners out racing 911's and even turbos at track events. There's no substitute for skill, especially if the cars are somewhat close in terms of performance.

just my 2 cents...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.