Hot Rod Mag. has a STI vs. Cobra..
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hot Rod Mag. has a STI vs. Cobra.. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; If you haven't seen it get it! It is a great article! Sti and Cobra #'s are very close but ...

Hot Rod Mag. has a STI vs. Cobra..

If you haven't seen it get it! It is a great article! Sti and Cobra #'s are very close but I think the STi is the best "overall" performance car of the two. Cobra just has too much traction problems! Although, I've heard that the Cobra can do 11's with only slicks and a smaller pulley!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Actually the STI they had tracked 13.29 as opposed to the cobras 13.3sec 1/4 mile.

Also they felt that the STI felt like a go-kart in the handling department, after driving the COBRA.
    Platinum WRX Wagon Cobb Stage2
    TXS stealth back/UP with custom Magnaflow muffler
    whiteline adj rear sb, whiteline Antilift kit, whiteline rear strut brace, front strut brace, MRT lightened pulley
    No more AEM Cai ! , 3/16 mod, Grounding mod, Kartboy SS and bushing, Autometer 3 gauge pack and A-pillar

Nice, im going to have to check it out.

Although if I had a choice, it would probably be a Cobra!
    04 SVT Lightning

^^^^what he said^^^^^...the sti is cool and everything but i'd have to take the cobra. that is a load of crap that it does a 13.3 in the 1/4! evan smith from mm&ff got a 12.4@110, granted he is a professional driver but a stock sti hasent gotten any better than what 12.9? i would have to drive both to see which is cooler all around but i know that the sti would own in the handling dept. the cobra goes 66 through the slalom opposed to the sti's 71 lol. i know the sti would out brake it too so all around the sti would be better but a good straight line rocket sled cant be underestimated in fun factor

Originally posted by torqueterror
    ^^^^what he said^^^^^...the sti is cool and everything but i'd have to take the cobra. that is a load of crap that it does a 13.3 in the 1/4! evan smith from mm&ff got a 12.4@110, granted he is a professional driver but a stock sti hasent gotten any better than what 12.9? i would have to drive both to see which is cooler all around but i know that the sti would own in the handling dept. the cobra goes 66 through the slalom opposed to the sti's 71 lol. i know the sti would out brake it too so all around the sti would be better but a good straight line rocket sled cant be underestimated in fun factor
    I hate to say it but its much more common to see an 03 Cobra run 13s than it is to see one run mid 12s.

In a perfect world , a Cobra should beat an STi in the 1/4 mile. But in the real world, where driver skill, track conditions, etc, effect the results of a race. The STi is very capable of beating a stock 03 Cobra in a 1/4 mile race.

Evan Smith also ran 12.7 in a stock LS1 z28. So are we suppose to assume everyone can do the same.

Originally posted by torqueterror
    yeah, but does .5 seconds really make a difference? i'd rather have a car that has room for my friends and can drive all year round.

Originally posted by ***biGRed***
    yeah, but does .5 seconds really make a difference? i'd rather have a car that has room for my friends and can drive all year round.
    Yes it does make a difference and not everyone is looking for a daily driver .

First things first, how many people in their STi's even run 13.2s . Yeah we've seen a high 12.9 but thats very rare. I'd say in the "real" world, most folks will run mid to high 13s in their stock STi's.

So from that perspective, I'd say they ran a magnificent time in the STI and a mediocre time in the 03' Cobra. The 03' Cobra is by far a superior drag car. The STi is by far a superior track car in stock form.
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

The problem I see is that people view 1/4 times as the ultimate test for an automobile. Would I rather have a car that handles like a go-cart or one that "might" be a fraction of a second quicker than the strip? I'll take the STi any day of the week over the Ford and go on a nice vacation with the money I saved.

Originally posted by MrSwede
    The problem I see is that people view 1/4 times as the ultimate test for an automobile. Would I rather have a car that handles like a go-cart or one that "might" be a fraction of a second quicker than the strip? I'll take the STi any day of the week over the Ford and go on a nice vacation with the money I saved.
    The problem I see is with the people who read the threads in this forum and assume that folks view 1/4 mile times as the ultimate test for an automobile. The fact is most of the threads are about street racing. Street racing whether it be from a stop or from a roll. So when comparing cars within that context, 1/4 mile times will be mentioned 90% of the time.

Oh, and how much faster was the STi in the roadcourse compared to the 03' Cobra again?

About the pricing, you can buy a brand new Cobra these days for $30K-$32K. That's pretty close to what folks are paying for their STi's. That being said, the only vacation you'll be taking with the money you saved will be a visit to Wendy's and ordering a chili from their dollar menu .
    Last edited by Shaitiger; 12-10-2003 at 11:26 AM.
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

STi wins? Yeah, I'd say so. First off, if you buy the Cobra it is going to depreciate much faster than the STi. Big deal I guess. It also will not be as dependable (I can almost guarentee). As a daily driver, year round, the STi is no doubt what I would choose. Not to mention handling, braking, and adverse weather traction. Oh, and the STi is the perfect sleeper to the uninformed rice haters.

That said, I would like to have a Cobra as well for something different to drive around during the summer. My dream car has always been a Viper since 1994, but they are a little pricey last time I checked. I think the Cobra would be more fun to hit the highway on, and definately more flashy. So am I allowed to love then both? If I could only have one though I'd get the STi and sell my REX.

Originally posted by Shaitiger
    That being said, the only vacation you'll be taking with the money you saved will be a visit to Wendy's and ordering a chili from their dollar menu .
    One of the better lines I've heard recently! LOL

All around car for daily driving: STi wins
    Most straightline performance potential: Cobra wins

For some people, the Cobra is the best car, hands down. For others, it's the STi. It depends on what someone wants from a car, and if that certain car suits their particular needs better than another vehicle.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

From what I've heard about the domestic V8s (and GTPs) it is like 2 or 3 times cheaper to get the same amount of horsepower. You could probably get 500 whp out of the Cobra with a lot less of an investment.

Originally posted by MrSwede

Exactly what I wanted to say but I would have said it all wrong.
    Bleeding true blue.

"That gasp you just heard was National League hitters after hearing that Mark Prior has added a couple extra MPH to his fastball this winter."

-Will Carroll-

03 Blue rex - Sold
    04 Black Forester XT - Nice

My first post here so heya all. This is one of the more civil posts I've seen about these 2 cars. I chose the cobra simply because I liked the car more.

Hell I drove a 01 GT with some basic mods before the Cobra and we all know there are many cars in stock form that can beat or match it. I just liked the look and I really didn't care if another car had better performance, I would of bought a Chevy/pontiac if performance was all that mattered.

Anyways the STI is a kick ass car but I like my Cobra better. Don't really care if the STI has better handling or if its a better daily driver.

I'm happy with my choice as I'm sure you STI owners are with yours. IMO you can't go wrong with either car.

Anyways later all

Vacation with the money you saved?? Cobra's right now go for around 30k, I guess you can still go on a cheap vacation but you sound like your saving thousands?? Doesn't the STI's go for around 30k also?

And in some locations Cobra's are going for cheaper, 29k. I picked mine up for 30.5k about a 1 1/2 wks ago.
    Last edited by DaFerret; 12-10-2003 at 05:47 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast