Hot Rod Mag. has a STI vs. Cobra.. - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hot Rod Mag. has a STI vs. Cobra.. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by Dan00Hawk But I still enjoy reading ShaiKitten and Swedish Meatball going at it, though....

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
    But I still enjoy reading ShaiKitten and Swedish Meatball going at it, though.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Dan,

The subaru dealer from whom I purchased my WRX is willing to sell me a 04 STI for Invoice, minus 50 dollars for the test-drive and an extra 500 dollars off if I decide to purchase the vehicle. Subaru is running some type of winter deal and are giving 500 dollars off after you work your best deal. Final price of STI will be 28k plus taxes and the entire extra BS.

The Ford Dealer will sell me a 03 Cobra with 0 miles for 31,500 including tax title and the extra BS. Other dealers in the area are selling used 03 Cobras for 28k.

I test drove both cars and loved them. However both cars are completely different and thatís the reason why this decision is so difficult.

Earlier today I was favoring the SVT for its incredible acceleration capabilities from a roll, but driving home from work I thought about the STI's handling, braking advantage and its incredible acceleration from a dead stop. I donít really don't care about the price difference between these Vehicles. That will not be the deciding factor. I am going to wake up Saturday morning and drive to one of these dealers and purchase a car. The only problem is that both dealers are practically across the street from each other.
    Last edited by Drod; 12-11-2003 at 05:21 PM.

Originally posted by Shaitiger

About the "anything subjective" comment, I forgot to mention the word "pricing", whoops . It's still a pointless argument because not everyone pays MSRP.

Of course it is not pointless. Like I said, using the most common standard of measurement that can be applied the Ford comes out $3000+ over the STi. You can try to dismiss it all you want, but to most people $3000 is $3000.

I gave you a second chance to understand. Scroll up. Is it me writing down random "thoughts" or you not being able to deal with the fact that I corrected your misconception .
    Well, you are going to have to spell that one out for me, because the more I read it, the less sense it makes.

"Blah.....we're comparing a Mustang to an Impreza." OK... This forum is for comparison....

"I wouldn't say you're wrong, maybe just a little confused" That makes sense

"I'm a bigger Subaru fan than I am of Ford or Chevy, but that doesn't mean I strap on my Subaru goggles whenever I read or post something on this site." 1. I am glad you like Subaru...good for you! 2. Just because I would take an STi over the Ford I wear Subaru goggles? I would take many cars over the Ford, does that mean I wear all kind of googles? I would take the Ford over many other cars, does that mean I wear Ford goggles? Please tell me, I want to make sure I wear the right goggles when I read these posts.

Now there's the intelligent opinion I was trying to get out of you. You should have just said that the first time. Good day sir .
    You are a hopeless case if disillusion I shall quote my first post: "Would I rather have a car that handles like a go-cart or one that "might" be a fraction of a second quicker than the strip? I'll take the STi any day of the week..." The personal pronoun "I" used twice is an indicator of the authors personal preference. Sometimes we use the English words "personal opinion" to mark the meaning of such a statement. I am sorry, my dear friend, and only blame myself for assuming that basic reading comprehension is a skill known by all.

Originally posted by MrSwede
    I would take many cars over the Ford, does that mean I wear all kind of googles? I would take the Ford over many other cars, does that mean I wear Ford goggles? Please tell me, I want to make sure I wear the right goggles when I read these posts.

You may want to try Doggles...

Glad I can help solve your differences of OPINION. Carry on now, gents!

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
    You may want to try Doggles...

Glad I can help solve your differences of OPINION. Carry on now, gents!
    Ohhh, I like those. Now you will have to explain how you knew about the Doggles

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    I hate to say it but its much more common to see an 03 Cobra run 13s than it is to see one run mid 12s.

In a perfect world , a Cobra should beat an STi in the 1/4 mile. But in the real world, where driver skill, track conditions, etc, effect the results of a race. The STi is very capable of beating a stock 03 Cobra in a 1/4 mile race.

Evan Smith also ran 12.7 in a stock LS1 z28. So are we suppose to assume everyone can do the same.
    this is a pointless argument..... we use those 1/4 mile times to know the CARS capabilites... which is what we are discussing here....we are comparing two cars arent we? and mid 12 second 1/4 mile times are common enough that we can safely say that is what the car is capable of.... whether or not the driver can drive it to its potential is another argument...

in your second paragraph you assume the STi is very capable of.
    beating a stock 03... this is true... but only if we assume the 03 cobra driver is of unequal skill.... all things being equal the quarter mile times would decrease equivilently as skill got worse...so again this doesnt really hold any water

evan smith also ran a 12.7...assuming everyone can do the same is pretty rediculous... but depending on how many times we see 12 second 1/4 mile times which is common, we can assume that is what the car is capable of...
    03 Cobra Satin Silver
    kenne bell sc

my best run so far is 12.69 @ 108 with tbe & intake, stock boost. I ran an SVT Cobra on 12/5 in Gainesville for the last Street Legal Drag event of the year. I redlined in 3rd but still pulled 12.8, the Cobra had exhaust, don't ask me what kind, he pulled 12.9, now I'm not dumb, I know he shoulda done better, his trap was 112. How hard is it to get a good launch with the Cobra with all that torque? Didn't get to see him but figured he musta had a much wheel spin.

Oh yeah, my 60' was 1.69
    01' GSXR1K Sold
    02' S2K Turbo Sold 5-24
    04 SLO STI Sold 01/04
    03' Cobra
    Pictures

it can be very difficult on the stock f1's....
    03 Cobra Satin Silver
    kenne bell sc

Race an 03 cobra with drag radials... i gauruntee it will make an ass out of any subaru except an ESX. Try not to break that tranny... its like 6 grand or more for a new one... I know its a 6 speed, but 1.69 60ft time is really asking alot for an awd machine with a stock transmission. Id like to compare SL0's trap speed (real timeslip) with the magazines 100mph. I think your numbers are too fast... TBE with stock boost isnt a 8mph mod... maybe im wrong, but id like to see a slip
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

MidnightFLAT4,
    Heres a link to my site with the slips
    12-05 Timeslips

Keep in mind the 12.813 was with 3rd gear redline
    Last edited by Slo STI; 12-16-2003 at 08:22 AM.
    01' GSXR1K Sold
    02' S2K Turbo Sold 5-24
    04 SLO STI Sold 01/04
    03' Cobra
    Pictures

OH man your car is sleeper... thats great how u took the STi badge off along with the normal wrx wing... and the stock subaru tag still on the back... I would do the exact same thing if had 31 grand.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

Thanks.... it's almost impossible to tell it's an STI at night while trolling around.
    A couple more specs for 12-05, the 42/43 is the tire pressure front and rear, I inflate my tires a tad for some spin, while others deflate there tires to get more traction. Also, I used the dccd 2 arrows from the bottom. Weather was about 60 something degrees out with little or no humidity (this is unusual in FL). I will let you fellas know when a friend puts the video online of my car vs. Cobra.... The 12.69 was not on video, there were probably close to 200 cars there since it was the last event at gainseville until late Jan 04'. I was car 20, got there real early and ran my best time ever on the first run with no camera!!! Go figure
    Last edited by Slo STI; 12-16-2003 at 09:52 AM.
    01' GSXR1K Sold
    02' S2K Turbo Sold 5-24
    04 SLO STI Sold 01/04
    03' Cobra
    Pictures

IMO, 2 truely different cars. What are you going to do with both cars? Will they both remain stock? Obviously the STi has more all weather potential, and more tight race track potential, but the Cobra has FAR more power potential, and more open (high speed) track potential IMO (it has IRS after all, wouldn't take a drastic overhaul). Arguing interior build quality between the two is like arguing that my kmart hubcap is far superior to your walmart version. Neither will win any awards.

Personally, I'd take the Cobra as long as I had another "bad weather" car. I've had V8s all my life and I sort of miss that. Don't get me wrong, I love forced induction. I think I'm hooked for life (WRX is only my second FI car). But mix FI w/ a healthy V8 and it gets even better. I just miss the instantaneous throttle response. And price isn't an issue...Cobras are going for less than STis around here (STI's are still at close to sticker).

VV

Wow, someone owns both the STI and Cobra? I must have missed it. Yeah, I too believe the Cobra has much more straight line potential. The Cobra actually handles very nicely as well, saw one with suspension mods at an autocross one time turning out very impressive numbers. Not the typical solid rear axle Mustang, however this will hurt it for straight line later on down the power road. I almost bought a Cobra last year but we won't even go there.... Imagine this, in Jacksonville a lil Asian fella getting out of a Cobra modded to hell... that would be a sight for sore eyes...
    01' GSXR1K Sold
    02' S2K Turbo Sold 5-24
    04 SLO STI Sold 01/04
    03' Cobra
    Pictures

Holy Crap! This is by far, the most sane and mellow posting on this topic. I was over at hondatach and the little kids over there were whining and griping all sorts of anti-Cobra sentiment. I love it. If they beat any V8, the trash talk for eternity. If a V8 beats them, they whine that it's not fair and that it should win and blah blah blah. That's another reason why I love it here at ClubWRX, for the most part... we're a bunch of sane individuals. With the exception of Mr Swede rubbing a few the wrong way, this has been very calm.

Now my two cents on the rides. I love my WRX! I bought it b/c it's fast and is AWD so snow isn't as big of an issue. I love the practicality of a 4 door as well. I was on the verge of getting an STI, but will hold off for now (can we say Ping Ping Ping). On the other hand... the Cobra is B.A. Not many rides out there are keeping up with it when it comes to 1/4ing. And the V8 rumble is sooooo sweet. The $$$ is pretty much the same, both interiors bite, and the seats are eh. But that's not what I'm buying them for.

The verdict... I'll take both please. Either way I'd be dusting most cars on the road.
    2004 Sedan Stage IV (w/ .5L envy) >>> Stripped & Sold!
    2007 Wagon Stock >>> Soon to be traded in for an 08 STI

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.