Hot Rod Mag. has a STI vs. Cobra.. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hot Rod Mag. has a STI vs. Cobra.. within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; the build quality on the interior in mustangs (since the 96, 98, and 01 i've been in)are also rickety enough ...

the build quality on the interior in mustangs (since the 96, 98, and 01 i've been in)are also rickety enough to make the wrx and sti interior seem normal to nice.

mo

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

this is the converstaion my brother and i keep having. i like the Sti because of the all year round capability (i live in ohio), and because its different. (not many peopple have it) in that same aspect, its a lil too different for my taste. id have to get rid of that wing. and does the sti include a radio? but if i moved to Florida or Cali i think i would buy the Cobra. for me there is nothin like a V8 growl and add some nice exhaust and that sounds even better. but theres a guy that works at the mall with me that has one, he reved it up, hearing that supercharger whine and then powerslid around a corner. i hadda check my pants. but then again it has had the same interior since 1994!! i hate that. i think id wait for the next model and see how that handles and performs.
    2007 Civic Si

Well, I got a WRX that is putting down about 220ish DYNAPACK, similar to the numbers I see the lowend of what I see STI's baselining at. Never drove STI so guessing it is not starkly different in the acceleration department than a well tuned Stage2, you may correct me if I am wrong here, barring some additional grunt from the 0.5 liter bonus it has. I also have 16k miles experience in my Cobra, 14k before cpie and 2k after. There is simply no comparison to the feeling of instant, violent, necksnapping 500 ftlbs of torque (TO THE GROUND) (ESTIMATED 580 flywheel if it matters) that is a mere throttle blip away. My cobra bone stock was far milder than it is now but still I have a hard time believing it would be anything but a several car walking shown to a similarly stock STI.

I watched the Hot Rod TV show and was amused by the retards hosting that segment. Literal human 5-watt bulbs.
    I think they must be finally suffering from years of utterly pointless articles to the point where they would wh0r3 out to the import market for some much needed magazine sales. For them to have a best run of 13.3 in the SVT they must have spent half the photo shoot budget on a sack of roofies to slip in the SVT pilots coffee. Sheesh, I ran a 12.8@111 in a vert my first time ever at a drag strip and it (THE Cobra) was the first manual car I had owned in 16 years.

Go ahead and enjoy that article at the mag stand like I do TURBO, SCC and other mags. Rarely do I buy, don't need to, that is what the internet is for. I figured out long ago that magazines will say $h!t so you will buy them, whacky eh!

I have two perfect cars now, feel lucky to have them.
    SVT is parked till May, WRX is on duty, ALL IS WELL.
    Last edited by postban; 12-10-2003 at 06:23 PM.
    02 WRX Wagon Silver SOLD
    03 Cobra Satin Silver, twin screwed, cammed, ported, nasty

Guys, look at the 60 ft times.

1.80 STI

2.25 SVT

The STI had 4.5/10 of an advantage over the SVT in the 60 ft time, but the SVT made it up on the top end. If the SVT ran 2.0 60 ft time the 1/4 mile time would bee someting like 12.7 - 12.8. Car and driver got a 12.7 out of it with a 2.1 60 ft time. I belive Mike (03Cobra) ran a 12.8 or 13.0 stock and his 60 ft times were in the 2's.
    Last edited by Drod; 12-10-2003 at 06:56 PM.

if i didn't have my wrx wagon, i would take the sti over the cobra, just simply cuz they are great performer, but the sti is more practical

but since i already have a wrx wagon, i would take the cobra, just cuz it's got so much power
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

The STI is a better street drag racer. Car is consistent, but how many time can you launch the car from 6000 rpms and not harm it. I just got a promotion and a nice increase in pay. I am eyeing a STI for 28k or a Slightly used 03 Convertible.
    Last edited by Drod; 12-10-2003 at 08:57 PM.

First of all, compare the trap speeds. That tells you right there that the people doing the tests were having problems getting the Cobra's power to the ground. Drag radials will take care of that. A pair of BFG or Nitto DRs, will easily net 1.8-1.9 60 ft times and mid/high 12s ETs with that MPH.

Secondly, with a forged engine and a T56 transimission (same tranny that's in a viper), cobras have enormous potential to handle additional power. I've seen quite a few at Cecil running high-11's at 120+, with less than $1000 in mods (a pulley and retune).

When people start getting more serious about modding these things, don't be surprised to see 500-600 rwhp Cobras in street trim. The IRS will be a bit of a problem though in a straight line
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

Originally posted by Shaitiger
    The problem I see is with the people who read the threads in this forum and assume that folks view 1/4 mile times as the ultimate test for an automobile. The fact is most of the threads are about street racing. Street racing whether it be from a stop or from a roll. So when comparing cars within that context, 1/4 mile times will be mentioned 90% of the time.

Oh, and how much faster was the STi in the roadcourse compared to the 03' Cobra again?

About the pricing, you can buy a brand new Cobra these days for $30K-$32K. That's pretty close to what folks are paying for their STi's. That being said, the only vacation you'll be taking with the money you saved will be a visit to Wendy's and ordering a chili from their dollar menu .
    LOL, I love the Internet and how some people will argue about anything!

1. The name of this forum is "WRX vs. The World" not "street racing and best 1/4 mile times." Do not come here and redefine what has already been defined

2. Of course the pricing on ANYTHING can be subjective (uncle's friend own dealership etc). However, whether you go by MSRP or what people on avarage are paying for the two cars in question you still come up with a $3000+ difference. I would suggest that you look at www.edmunds.com. So I guess I can order a few years supply of chili from Wendys

3. I considered bringing up the fit/finish and quality contrast as well. But I felt that would be a blow under the proverbial belt as the name Ford Mustang is illegal in most states to use in the same sentence as "quality."

Now I will get off my soapbox so you can get on yours and tell me how wrong I am and what a wonderfully superior car the Blue Oval has blessed the world with.

The STI is a performance car, other than that the car has the feel and look of an eco box. Notting to brag about in the interior or exterior. Paint quility is not the best. But I must say that after 37,000 mile on my 02 WRX reliability is the key. I have yet to visit the service deparnmet for anyting other than an oil change. The AWD system is fantastic. Time and time again the car has proven it's self in the rain and snow. I owned several SVT product's and was also happy with them. My last cobra never saw the inside of a ford service department. Car was great, but it sucked in the rain and snow. I am looking to purchse a new car, and narrowed the field to the STI and Cobra. I will decide on one of these cars soon. Both cars are sweet in their own way, and I know that I will be just as happy with anyone of them.
    Last edited by Drod; 12-11-2003 at 10:25 AM.

Originally posted by MrSwede
    LOL, I love the Internet and how some people will argue about anything!
    Exactly, thanks for being an example of that .

1. The name of this forum is "WRX vs. The World" not "street racing and best 1/4 mile times." Do not come here and redefine what has already been defined
    Thanks for clarifying what the name of the forum was. Despite it not being called "street racing and best 1/4 mile times", street racing and comparing 1/4 mile times are still in the majority of the threads .

2. Of course the pricing on ANYTHING can be subjective (uncle's friend own dealership etc). However, whether you go by MSRP or what people on avarage are paying for the two cars in question you still come up with a $3000+ difference. I would suggest that you look at www.edmunds.com. So I guess I can order a few years supply of chili from Wendys
    Since ANYTHING can be subjective, your point is meaningless. Oh, and since you're in the business of making useless points, I"ll throw one at you. How do you explain all the poor STI drivers that paid 4K - 6K over sticker? . Instead of ordering a few years supply of chili, they'll be working the window handing them out .

3. I considered bringing up the fit/finish and quality contrast as well. But I felt that would be a blow under the proverbial belt as the name Ford Mustang is illegal in most states to use in the same sentence as "quality."
    Blah.....we're comparing a Mustang to an Impreza.

Now I will get off my soapbox so you can get on yours and tell me how wrong I am and what a wonderfully superior car the Blue Oval has blessed the world with.
    I wouldn't say you're wrong, maybe just a little confused

I'm a bigger Subaru fan than I am of Ford or Chevy, but that doesn't mean I strap on my Subaru goggles whenever I read or post something on this site. Enjoy your Wendys .
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Originally posted by Drod
    The STI is a performance car, other than that the car has the feel and look of an eco box. Notting to brag about in the interior or exterior.
    I've owned several econoboxes and I would have to say that it is pretty hard to put an impreza in that catagory (just cause it's a 4 cyl?). The Impreza is styled after rally cars, has fender flares and a hood scoop that differentiate it from a focus, civic, etc. 2nd of all, the feel of the car is different than an econobox (more solid and stable). Interior? Yes, nothing special but it is quiet and comfortable. And the seats are nice and bolstered too.

There has been some debate on launching the cars eating up the transmission. Some folks have done 200+ hard launches (6000+ rpm and 350 hp) and their trannys check out fine.

Consider this- the STi is a WRX on steriods. With upgraded wheels, suspension, tires, MUCH stronger engine and transmission, brembo brakes- its the complete package. It comes like a professionally tuned WRX out of the box. And if you compare what you are getting for $6000 extra, its a REALLY GOOD DEAL.

Question- is this car a 4 season car for you?

I agree with you that the WRX and STI are wonderful cars. I love my WRX, but yet fell that it has an ecobox look to it and that's my opinion. The interior is plane, but yet roomier. I love the way the car rides and it does not feel like an ecobox. But lets be real, the fun is under the hood and between the wheel wells. The WRX is a plane looking car even with its flares and spoiler. However, the STI is a racecar for the street and its a bit sportier looking. If I buy one this weekend, it will be fur the fun factor of it. I love the AWD and the handling of the STI. The acceleration is insane and I am really happy with the reliability of Subaruís.
    Last edited by Drod; 12-11-2003 at 01:35 PM.

I know the nation is in trouble when they do not offer reason and logic classes in some schools, or have you not made it to that grade yet

Thanks for clarifying what the name of the forum was. Despite it not being called "street racing and best 1/4 mile times", street racing and comparing 1/4 mile times are still in the majority of the threads .
    Even at that your point is useless at best. The forum is a comparison which is not limited to 1/4 miles, which you should observe before you try to correct people for making other comparisons. Lets think together, that is all I am asking

Since ANYTHING can be subjective, your point is meaningless. Oh, and since you're in the business of making useless points, I"ll throw one at you. How do you explain all the poor STI drivers that paid 4K - 6K over sticker? . Instead of ordering a few years supply of chili, they'll be working the window handing them out .
    Here we go again. I never said that ANYTHING can be subjective. That is like saying that all things are subjective, which is a contradiction in terms. What I said is that pricing on ANYTHING can be subjective, hence, you would need a reasonable standard. MSRP or the avarage of what is paid is by far the most reasonable standard that can be used in this discussion. Which means, no matter how you try to twist or turn it, that the STi is $3000+ less than the Ford. That some people paid over sticker for their car (which SVT owners did too if you did not know) is irrelevant. BTW, making a joke about chili does not validate an argument.

Blah.....we're comparing a Mustang to an Impreza.

I wouldn't say you're wrong, maybe just a little confused

I'm a bigger Subaru fan than I am of Ford or Chevy, but that doesn't mean I strap on my Subaru goggles whenever I read or post something on this site. Enjoy your Wendys .
    I am trying to determine what you point is here, or if you are just writing down random "thoughts." I guess you say that I (or all Subaru owners?) see the world through biased Subaru tinted glasses? If you concluded that from what I wrote in this thread you might need some help Since it seems to be so hard to understand I shall state it again, hopefully in simpler terms: As a package (meaning, all thing considered, NOT just 1/4 mile performance) the STi is IN MY OPINION a better purchase, and...it is cheaper.

Drod: Since you are actively shopping for either an STi or a Cobra, I'd like you to post the best price that you end up finding for both vehicles.

I believe it'll be easy to walk away with a Cobra for less than $32K (not including tax) after some minor haggling with the salesman. Anybody paying MSRP for a Cobra now (according to what Edmunds says is TMV) is walking around with a "MORON" sign taped to their back. Best price going for the STi now, is essentially MSRP. This narrows the price gap to about even, or maybe a few cups of watered down chili (perhaps with cheese and soda crackers). But, I'd like to see a REAL WORLD comparison by someone in the market. Drod would make a perfect unbiased subject.

From the countless threads I've read here, the emphasis on this forum is straightline speed, but it's certainly open to comparisons of other sorts for those that want to bring that into the discussion. A 1/4 mile time is objective, and easy to make comparisons about. Beating another car head to head defines a clear winner in that particular category. Plus, it's not really exciting to read about arguments of which seat is better designed, which controls are easier to operate, which car has a better warranty, or which car will potentially have less rattles after 70,000 miles. Although the thread about power windows in the rear vs a Neon with manuals was somewhat entertaining...

Ultimately, both cars are excellent performance values, and meet different needs for different types of buyers. But I still enjoy reading ShaiKitten and Swedish Meatball going at it, though.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Originally posted by MrSwede
    I know the nation is in trouble when they do not offer reason and logic classes in some schools, or have you not made it to that grade yet

Refaining to insults is a true indication of one's back against the wall .

Even at that your point is useless at best. The forum is a comparison which is not limited to 1/4 miles, which you should observe before you try to correct people for making other comparisons. Lets think together, that is all I am asking

Who said it was limited to 1/4 mile times . Since the majority of the threads are street races, that's where most of the 1/4 mile time comparisons are made. Please read that nice and slowly so you understand that folks aren't viewing 1/4 times as the ultimate test for an automobile, they are purely commenting within the context of the thread.

About the "anything subjective" comment, I forgot to mention the word "pricing", whoops . It's still a pointless argument because not everyone pays MSRP.

I am trying to determine what you point is here, or if you are just writing down random "thoughts."

I gave you a second chance to understand. Scroll up. Is it me writing down random "thoughts" or you not being able to deal with the fact that I corrected your misconception .

the STi is IN MY OPINION a better purchase, and...it is cheaper.
    Now there's the intelligent opinion I was trying to get out of you. You should have just said that the first time. Good day sir .
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast