WRX vs EVO vs SR-T 4? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on WRX vs EVO vs SR-T 4? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by drizze99 Where have you rally raced at? ^^I'm with stupid^^ Rally and road course racing is an ...

Originally posted by drizze99
    Where have you rally raced at?
    ^^I'm with stupid^^

Rally and road course racing is an entirely different world from bracket racing. Try winning a bracket race once. It might not be your thing, but it's a lot harder than you make it out to be.
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 Black
    221 whp/ 241 wtrq *Stock*
    13.585 @ 102.88 *Stage 1*

"Nothing gives you such a sense of the infinite as stupidity"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I cant believe that im hearing this coming from WRX owners!
    I thought that everyone would tell me that i made the right decision in buying the rex and that i should like my car.but from what ive seen it seems that no one likes their rexes anymore . I dont care about running 11's, i would be happy to run mid to low 12's with the rex with a mildly tuned rex like you guys say. I just thought that REX owners would be more supportive towards their car.
    2005 Electric Blue Mitsubishi Evolution VIII,
    2003 Rally Red Mitsubishi Evolution VIII
    Helix Catback
    Helix Downpipe
    Ultimate Racing test pipe
    Txs Mbc
    Greddy Type-s bov

www.myspace.com/evil_evo_viii
    www.mitsubishiunited.com
    2004 Subaru Wrx-Sold

Most people that are being negative are non-WRX owners. The WRX owners are just being realistic with a guy who seems to care about nothing but 1/4 mile times. Of all the cars available new for under $30k, the WRX is still my number one choice.

BTW, when I lived in England for a couple months (study abroad program) I drove a rally course south of Manchester a few times. Not in a race, but still it is infinitely harder than running on a drag strip.
    1967 Camaro
    2002 WRX SOLD

Originally posted by GallopingPonyCar
    if u want a fast car in a straight line go get an LS1 or an 03cobra. end of story.
    indeed, or any big displacement american iron. and drag racing is difficult to get really good at, it's just a hell of a lot easier than road racing. THe hard part about road racing is if you mess up you could roll the car, hit a tire wall, die, etc...

The WRX is a great car to learn to drive with and can be a great track car with the right modding mentality. You have a great car.
    Last edited by OKsubaru; 12-12-2003 at 03:39 PM.
    93 Miata LE, #100/1500 Black

"I wrote a hit play!"

Originally posted by OKsubaru

The WRX is a great car to learn to drive with and can be a great track car with the right modding mentality. You have a great car.
    Agreed. If you don't like your vehicle purchase, maybe you should have gone with something else. If you're happy with your car, then be happy. It's a great car.
    2003 Dodge SRT-4 Black
    221 whp/ 241 wtrq *Stock*
    13.585 @ 102.88 *Stage 1*

"Nothing gives you such a sense of the infinite as stupidity"

Originally posted by ihaveadent
    Since I have never run on a dragstrip? It might take a tiny bit of skill but nowhere near as much as driving a rally course or even a road course for that matter.
    Drag racing is harder than you think, you should give braket racing a try. You really have to know how to shift. In a road or rally race that's not quite as important as in a drag. Alot of people think they can shift, but when you watch them run you reallize they can't. And in a braket race you have to get everything perfect or you lose. Miss a shift, spin off the line, bad r/t. Hell if everything goes perfect and the car desides to go faster this time you still lose.

If you put someone who does drag race up against someone who doesn't they will get beat just as bad as putting someone who doesn't road race against someone who does. There's alot of luck in drag racing too but at the end of the season when you look at the points standings you can tell who got lucky and who was good. Races are over in a few seconds and there may only be a diff. of .001 and thats not hard?

I plan on getting my 9' sec lisense at some point, but first I need to get good enough to run that and then build a car or bike that can do it. I'll probably go the bike route, I can probably get 8's with a bike without alot of cash. I've road 9' second bike's before and you have no idea what fast is untile you've been on something like that. And you better have some balls to drag race one.

I said that there is skill involved in drag racing and the skill required definitely increases as you get into lower e.t. type races, but there is no disputing the fact that drag racing is easier than road and especially rally racing. Shifting is actually very important in rally racing (along with any other racing that you turn left AND right in), you have to know what engine rpm to be at going into turns so that you are ready to haul ass out of the turns (not to mention trying to find the line in turns which is quite difficult unless you have raced the course before).

Being good at drag racing is like being a good 3-point shooter and being good at rally racing is like being a good basketball player.
    1967 Camaro
    2002 WRX SOLD

Originally posted by Schaf100
    Yeah, unfortunately, the boxer engine is not the best thing for dragging. It's benefit is primarily in it's low center of gravity which is great for handling. Of course, the whole deal w/the headers and up-pipe means we'll never respond quite as well to mods as the 4G63. What you can take comfort in is that you got a GREAT deal on your WRX, and that if you're shooting for realistic 1/4 mile times like mid-12's, you can still get there really easily (with a bit of cash).
    Subaru has something called symmetry layout. The flat-four (placed smack in the middle of the engine bay) provides an even weight distribution left to right, and the transmission is set where it is to help balance out the whole car and not load it up on the front wheels. The weight blance is vertically organized, leaving much weight in the back. I got that from Best Motoring 5 from an interview with a Subie head tech, from Japan. Of course, our USDM marshmallow bushings and Cadillac shocks don't help at all.
    As for the EVO, Vishnu's stage 1 reflash drops the car's acceleration considerably as well as knocking a few tenths off the 1/4th mi, assuming that's what you care about. The Vishnu Stage 1 has been clocked doing 0-60 in less than 5 seconds (I don't remember 1/4 times). That's pretty damn quick if you ask me.

SRT4s are probably the most detuned new car available. So much in fact the insurance companies got pissed at their grossly underrated figures which prompted them to bump it up for 2004. LSD now available on the front wheels too. It handles suprisingly well and would do better with some front camber plates. They also belch out 20-40hp from basically anything you touch. Boost controller, especially. Just keep the rear passengers happy as they need to manually roll down their windows and listen to exhaust drone.
    ---

The WRX has probably the better interior out of all three, suprisngly. The EVO and SRT4 interior look nice in photos...but wait'll you see it in person. As for comfort (in the sense of noise, vibratoin and harshness), I can't comment. The Viper-based SRT4 sport seats are a pain to climb into.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123