Rode in a EVO last night!

This is a discussion on Rode in a EVO last night! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Last night, I was at one of our flat 4 meetings here in Vegas and there were a few EVO's ...

Exclamation Rode in a EVO last night!

Last night, I was at one of our flat 4 meetings here in Vegas and there were a few EVO's there. I was talking with one of the guys and he had an EVO that had a B & B Turboback exhaust and a ECU reflash. We went for a ride, and all I can say is WOW!

First of all, I really liked the seats, very supportive I like the bolsters on the sides of the seats. I hate to admit it but I liked them better then on my '04. I wasn't impressed with the rest of the interior, and think the WRX's is much nicer. We slowly pulled out of In N Out's parking lot and he punched it, it was pulling hard as hell, MUCH harder then my car. I was very impressed. We were coming up on a sweeping left turn, at about 90, I was expecting him to slow down, and he didn't, I was like "holy $h!t" I couldn't believe how it took the turn, the car slid a little but it was totally neutral and we even hit some of the reflective markers between the lanes and it didn't phase it what so ever. If I would have took that turn that fast in my car, I would have been in a ditch. While we were exiting the turn the signal light right after it turned red and he slammed on the brakes, again very impressive, we were still turning while he was on the brakes and nothing weird happened, and it stopped on a dime. I really liked the car, and now my car feels slow.

I hope when I get my ECU reflashed it pulls like that, but I doubt it. Like everyone says, that car handles awesome, I've never felt ANY car take a turn like that. Next time, I hope to take a ride in a STi and see how it compares.

With the mods he had I'm guessing he was probably around 280 whp.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

To me, any car feels faster when I'm a passenger instead of the driver. Something about not controlling it yourself, I guess. And a good driver can make any car seem like it handles well when you are along for the ride. The Evo in question is certainly faster than a mildly modded WRX, and certainly more capable in the corners than a stock WRX; but don't let your opinion be swayed too much, since being a passenger introduces other factors that will alter your perspective.

I'd like to drive an Evo sometime (and not just a casual test drive) and get a good feel for it. I'm just not very impressed with the interior, or the exterior design. The performance capability, though, might be enough to make me overlook/tolerate the things I don't like about it.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Originally posted by Dan00Hawk
    To me, any car feels faster when I'm a passenger instead of the driver. Something about not controlling it yourself, I guess. And a good driver can make any car seem like it handles well when you are along for the ride. The Evo in question is certainly faster than a mildly modded WRX, and certainly more capable in the corners than a stock WRX; but don't let your opinion be swayed too much, since being a passenger introduces other factors that will alter your perspective.

I'd like to drive an Evo sometime (and not just a casual test drive) and get a good feel for it. I'm just not very impressed with the interior, or the exterior design. The performance capability, though, might be enough to make me overlook/tolerate the things I don't like about it.
    Great points, yes you are 100% correct, when you are a passenger and not in control it does feel like your going faster. And the Oh $h!t meter is at a heightened state. I wanted to walk away unimpressed but I really was. It's a Great car, but I really need to drive one or a Sti, to give a better comparison to the WRX.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

Dan00Hawk beat me too it... I bet you your car would feel faster to you if you rode shotgun in it as well... When my wife drives my car, I am grabbing the "Oh S**t" handles all the time... and she doesn't even go WOT on it...

When I drive it feels normal, and everyone else is grabbing the handles...

-jason
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

Evo's drive nice
    The steering is so precise that any movent will move the car, the first time you drive one you have to be "aware" and pay attention. I drove a friends that had a little over 300whp, I believe it was a Vishu Stage 2 package or something, torque was very flat and car pulled well. As the driver it did not feel fast but it had very good power delivery.
    Definately drive one, very nice car overall. I still prefer the STI though instead.
    Silverbane
    An expert at anything was once a beginner...
    Pic 91MR2 T TD06 250rwhp *sold*
    STI next?

My friend had an EVO already traded it, but he wanted to drive a stock WRX and I wanted to drive the EVO so we switched. The EVO is very impressive. It pulled extreemly hard, the streering is insane, although a little much for the street, but it handled very well. Compared to a stock WRX or even a slightly modded WRX the EVO would run it. They arent that nice though he and I both felt the WRX has a much better build quality. I did love the seats though. Its a great car either way it just comes to drivers preference and what they want the car for.
    WRX - It's not a rocket. It's a guided missile.

Jamie,

Do yourself a favor and get a boost controller. It'll make your WRX A LOT FASTER!

-Jim

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    Originally posted by Dan00Hawk

I was gonna post the same thing!
    2003 SRT-4

I totally agree with the fact that when you are the passenger the car seems to handle better and accelerate faster than while driving. I have had rice drivers in my jeep cherokee comment on the great handling of my jeep during turns....Maybe its cuz i just know how to take them...all thanks to kart racing school!