blinking hazards
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on blinking hazards within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; this am, a white honda with all the trimmings passed me pretty quickly; I was in the slow lane, just ...

blinking hazards

this am, a white honda with all the trimmings passed me pretty quickly; I was in the slow lane, just driving, zoning out. I get out from behind the slow traffic and get to him a little ways down the road right before a great right turn on-ramp. He gets on his brakes before the apex, and then speeds through the turn, me right on his tail...but also on the brakes since he is right in front of me with two cars in front of him. He comes up to traffic, brakes kinda hard again, and then floors it as the turn straightens. I was still on the brakes when he gunned it, but reacted, he never put any distance on me, stayed the same in front. Looked down, doing 90, so I immediately dropped to the speed limit, this is when he sped away. Then he flashed his hazards...what does this mean? Hey, that was fun, or hey, I just smoked you.
    Last edited by car returns; 12-02-2003 at 08:19 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It meant "hey, I have a small pee-pee"

He probably thought he smoked you. I had a kid in an integra think he smoked me one before. I was stock at the time and we were running pretty much even until I braked. He kept going and threw the hazzards on.
    Last edited by silverscooby; 12-02-2003 at 08:32 AM.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

"To brake is to admit defeat."

The Honduh owner signaled the hazards to signify his "win" over your car because he pulled away. The only way to show these guys that their car sucks is to pass them and pull in front.

Whoever is in front, wins (not by my rules, but what I have empirically observed from people who race on highways and at stoplights).

chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

That may be how some people look at it, but IMO that doesnt clearly show who has the faster car.

It only shows who is willing to go faster. Now if I shut down becaus eit is obvious that the other car is pulling on me, that is another story. Just because someone doesnt want to race in traffic or take their car to 130+ doesnt mean the other guy "wins"
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

I agree, but how do you explain that to little EM&M wannabe's driving loud muffler'd hoopties that are actually down on HP that the cars were stock?

chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

under no circumstances will I race on a freeway, the consequences of a crash are simply unacceptable, I was down to the speed limit by the time the merge lane from ther onramp hit the freeway lanes. The honda was weaving in traffic, I wanted nothing to do with that, and wanted to put as much distnace between he/she and I.

It was fun while it lasted though.

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    he thought he won. He was a ricer, its what they do.
    2003 SRT-4

I've always interpretted it as "I'm done", nothing to do with winning or losing. But you never know what a ricer might be thinking. I myself have used it a few times.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

When i had my 01 Eclipse GT i raced a wagon up the hill. This is a pretty big grade hill. Id say a 15-20 % up. I was behind him, we were doing about 45mph and i saw him gun it. I too gunned it and stayed on his bumper the whole way up the hill without him pulling away. When i got to the top of the hill i shut down(cause i am not crazy on the downside like most) and i flashed my hazards. He did the same.....i ididnt do it thinking i won. I did it to say its over... good race.

EDIT: I have raced many cars up that hill. You get the ricers that you will smoke up the hill. Ill shut down and they do the 130 mph flyby on me on the downside.
    Last edited by skyjock41; 12-03-2003 at 03:22 PM.

Re: blinking hazards

Originally posted by car returns
    this am
    at first i thought you were really stupid then i realized that am is the morning...this am...hahahaha sorry i just wanted to use the new smiley
    signature left intentionally blank

I had the same thing happen with a newer Celica. He pulled up along side me and stuck beside me for awhile. I just kept a steady 70mph while he was beside me gassing it to pull ahead a couple times. After he realized I wasn't taking the bait, it looked like he floored it(wasn't impressed) and took off. After I caught up with him at a redlight 2 miles down the road he gave me the blinkers as I was getting off the freeway! Not sure if that gesture meant that he won the imaginary race or props to the car?

Honestly, the whole flashing the hazards is so incredibly ghey! Once however i saw a kid in a mid 1990s Accord LX Coupe with clear corners and altezzas (addes 10 whp each) race a civic and win and flash the 4 ways. Later that night on I95 he started to play with me and I let him get next to me a few times and i would drop it and be out by like 10 cars. I was just having fun, but each time I hit the hazzards....lol.....i do it as away of teasing the ricers to let them know exactly what they look like. Its funny. The real enthusiasts know which car is faster anway.....

I can see Car and Driver doing this comparison next month:
    2004 WRX vs. 1998 Civic EX vs. 1995 Accord vs. Ford Focus....hmmmm
    WRX - It's not a rocket. It's a guided missile.

Originally posted by silverscooby
    It meant "hey, I have a small pee-pee"

ha.....

that has happened to me too. i was driving down an access road when a got passed by a civic who then hit his hazards. i didnt even know we had been racing. lets just say that he did not have that oppurtunity again.
    2002 Subaru Impreza Wrx Sedan

I had a Saturn with a fart can trying to race me. I was just driving and see these headlights come up from behind. When he switched lanes he just kept on turning his head to look over at me. Then he gunned it.
    I was just like whatever and kept on driving. Then I see that the light up ahead had just turned red and the dumb$hit blew it.

Just ignore them, it pisses them off more because you are giving them the impression that you dont give a rats ass about them. Which you shouldnt.
    Bleeding true blue.

"That gasp you just heard was National League hitters after hearing that Mark Prior has added a couple extra MPH to his fastball this winter."

-Will Carroll-

03 Blue rex - Sold
    04 Black Forester XT - Nice

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.