my modded STi vs. modded V8s (VIDEO)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on my modded STi vs. modded V8s (VIDEO) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I wanted to see how I'd stack up against some badass local cars from a roll up to speeds ...

my modded STi vs. modded V8s (VIDEO)

So I wanted to see how I'd stack up against some badass local cars from a roll up to speeds around 120-135 or so, and here is the video of the results. My mods are HKS catless 3" downpipe, Blitz SUS LM intake w/ silencer removed, Perrin oil catch-can, and an empty trunk besides the intercooler spray. It was some good natured fun, and both the Cobra and the SS owner were very cool.

http://www.svtperformance.com/~blade...2004WRXSTi.wmv

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

300hp sedan vs 500hp coupe..... Hello?

Pretty cool vid, ofcourse the cobra pulls, there are guys with stock the S/Cs still on the 2003 SVT cobra pulling 9s a little bit of motor work and you have yourself an american missle.

Altho, id like to see that cobra try that again in the rain..heh.
    Last edited by Blue Away; 12-02-2003 at 02:52 AM.
    03 wrb WRX sedan
    Crawford Performance S2 2.5L Block
    --- Tuned by I-SPEED

Tons of other toys.....

It makes absolutely no sense to race more powerful RWD cars from a roll. Did you even launch against the SS? I understand it is a fast car, but you should've faired better.

-Jim

This video has really spread around well. The V8 guys all over love it and use it as an excuse to talk trash about the STi, along with the Hotrod bit where they liked the STi. I guess it's a way to justify having a big engine that gets foul mileage and normally still can't beat a 4-door 4-cylinder. When there's video of a 4 beating an 8, the same guys always call BS. The whole thing is quite amusing, really...you guys may have done the race for fun but those who were not there and want to justify their purchase of an 8 are getting really excited over this video. End rant.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

Originally posted by Blue Away
    ... id like to see that cobra try that again in the rain. heh.
    Me too, or maybe a couple inches of snow. First snow fall was one week ago, v8 owners of illinois I am out there, and I am watching you get towed out of a ditch

For the record i own one too so hold your hatemail - for now.

Para

Yeah the results were expected, but with my mods I'm probably pushing 330 or so hp (I know, big whoop). The race with the SS was from a 1st gear 5 roll.

I don't care if this is more fuel for some sort of internet arguing match, I like, and respect all fast cars, especially the 2003 Cobra and the LS1 F-bods. Each car has different capabilities, but I wouldn't mind owning either if I was offered one for free. Ofcourse I love my STi and it's so much fun everyday.

Originally posted by PlatinumWRX
    It makes absolutely no sense to race more powerful RWD cars from a roll. Did you even launch against the SS? I understand it is a fast car, but you should've faired better.

-Jim

For some reason I can't see the Vid.
    Was the SS modified heavily?
    I was just wondering because I've beaten 5 different LS1s from a 1st gear roll in my STi.

Cool video and cooler guys driving all the cars.
    Props to you DenniSTI for posting even though the results were unfavorable. At least it looked like you had fun.
    I know of Blades from svtp, cool guy. If you see him again ask him who catchmecopper is...........

02 WRX Wagon Silver SOLD
    03 Cobra Satin Silver, twin screwed, cammed, ported, nasty

Here's a quote from the SS owner regarding his mods: "air box lid and free mods.....took screen out of mass air, throttle body bypass, and free ram air mod (cut bottom of air box).. "

He also has drag radials too and the SLP exhaust etc.. He has a 75 shot which wasn't used when I raced him but there will soon be a video from that same night of the Cobra vs. the SS on the gas. With a full bottle the shot makes 69whp for him, but he only had .047 jet bottle that was near empty and still only lost by about a car length versus the Cobra. I don't know if he has any other mods, but he beat a supposedly 430whp 03' Cobra while running all motor. His 1/4 time on the gas is 11.9 @ 119.

He had the advantage through 3rd gear slightly, but after that he stopped his gradual pull and we were both even and no one seemed to be pulling. I found that interesting because of the topend of the LS1, but it was still closer than I expected it to be and we didn't go to 6th gear once.

Thumbs up Great Races

DenniSTi ,

Glad you had fun. It's nice to know there are other humble WRX/STi drivers out there. You posted a loss in the "WRX vs The World" forum, that's definitely something out of the ordinary. Keep up the good work .

PS: I have a moderately modified SS and I don't think a I'd have a problem putting 5+ cars on an intake and exhaust STi from a stop or roll up to 130mph. Now a bolt-on 03' Cobra...
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Originally posted by DenniSTi
    Yeah the results were expected, but with my mods I'm probably pushing 330 or so hp (I know, big whoop). The race with the SS was from a 1st gear 5 roll.

I don't care if this is more fuel for some sort of internet arguing match, I like, and respect all fast cars, especially the 2003 Cobra and the LS1 F-bods. Each car has different capabilities, but I wouldn't mind owning either if I was offered one for free. Ofcourse I love my STi and it's so much fun everyday.
    I wouldn't care either but every non-WRX board I'm on, I get flak for owning an STi. The disrespect is simply amazing, to be honest.

I also respect fast cars. I was thinking a new Cobra would make good for the next car I get but then again, seeing how some of the owners behave really turns me off from it. Blades is on a forum I'm on and his post basically just said here's the video, it was a ton of fun...that's the kind of owner the other Cobra guys should be.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    I really dont know why you bothered to film that ass-whooping
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by renichms
    I also respect fast cars. I was thinking a new Cobra would make good for the next car I get but then again, seeing how some of the owners behave really turns me off from it. RN
    I'm trying to find a reason why you are complaining .

He posted a video of him losing in his STi and that's it. He was a pretty good sport about it. That's how everyone should be.

I've read tons of threads in this forum about you guys trashing other cars(domestics, etc). There are folks like that in every forum. Who cares, get over it.

"seeing how some of the owners behave really turns me off from it"

Can you go into detail how that adversely affects you owning an 03' Cobra .
    Last edited by Shaitiger; 12-02-2003 at 07:46 PM.
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Nice races, Dennis, and entertaining video! Thanks for sharing. I'd like to think your car could be throwing down some mid to high 12's at the track. Enough to embarrass most cars you'll encounter on the street, whether they have a v-8 or not.

Semi off topic: I wouldn't ever consider not owning a car based on a few indiscriminate owners out there. There are tools that sit behind the steering wheel of every make and model car out there. That's like me saying I wouldn't own an STi just because one guy who I think is a hypocrititcal, obnoxious, arrogant, and self righteous punk drives one. Glad there aren't any people on this board like that!

It's rare for someone to be treated without respect based merely on the kind of car they drive (unless it's riced out). It's usually a judgement that is formed based on the individual themselves. End rant...

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Hey Dennis...I know both of those cars. I am from ct and used to live on the Berlin tpke...That cobra is really fast and the ss I have raced from a launch w/my stage 2 and at about 50mph I was all done, caught and walked....There are a bunch of v8s on the pike to watch out for....Once you continute to mod the STI, your results may be a little different....Nice runs....good luck
    L.I.S.C #00 (Treasurer)
    02 Wrx...465whp and 472 whtq. 100 Octane
    387whp and 371 whtq. 93 Octane

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast