my modded STi vs. modded V8s (VIDEO) - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on my modded STi vs. modded V8s (VIDEO) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Guys we are overlooking the 60 ft times. The STI had an advantage of 4.5/10 on the 60 ft time. ...

Guys we are overlooking the 60 ft times. The STI had an advantage of 4.5/10 on the 60 ft time. The Cobra Made up 3.5/10 on the top end. A better 60 ft time by the Cobra would of had had a diffrent ending.

A 60 ft time of 2.0 would of given the Cobra someting like a 12.9
    1/4. but that goes to show you that the STI is still a better car. I belive that the STI could run consistanly 13.3's with 1.8 60 ft times, while the Cobra would be all over the place do to it's traction problems. I could see the cobra running some sub 13's it has been done, by car and driver and other mags, but if you read these mags it took them several tries to get these numbers. BtW the MACH 1 can run 13.10 to 13.20 all day long. The live axel is conducive for drag racing.
    Last edited by Drod; 12-06-2003 at 09:41 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

MACH 1 can run 13.10 to 13.20 all day long.
    i have yet seen one such a good time, best time ive seen was a 13.5, most run high 13s to low 14s that ive seen stock. thats me though.

Let's see. My friend Tim has a 03 Mach1 and her ran 13.10ís when stock. He runs mid 12's with a 1.80 60 ft time with minor mods. But that's at Sea level. Maybe people living up in the hills might get slower times do to the elevation change. Werenít you the same guy who earlier said that their was no way that my 97 ran mid 12ís with the modifications I sated?
    Last edited by Drod; 12-06-2003 at 10:33 AM.

yup thats me. maybe it has to do with drivers too or something? but idk. i am a firm believer though now with the fact that the STI beat that z06 film after i beat a 04 srt-4 by 3 cars with my cusins 04 WRX with only a KnN

Originally posted by SGOSWRX
    It would be nice to get some videos of some STi's smoking some V8s. I beat a Z06 Vette last weekend in a 1/4 mile race. I wish I had that on tape.
    At least Hot Rod mag had the guts to say the STi ran faster in the 1/4 mile and at the track than an 03 Cobra. That has to be good for some respect.
    I went to the track today. Conditions were AWFUL. It was so cold, not even I got traction. On half of my runs, oddly enough, I actually suffered from rear wheel hop. Sit, shudder in place, then chirp and I'm off to a bad time...13.2. This was with removing all my crap too. The only good thing was there were so few people, you could run once and when you came back to stage, your time was still on the board, haha.

I ran a not-so-stock WS6 too. Until the top of 4th gear, I had a huge lead on him, then he blew by me like I wasn't moving, when I was shifting to 5th. Also had a turbo MR2 line up with me a few times and I beat him bad, so sorta let him get a slight lead the second time. Ran a Focus too and destroyed him too. I wanted to run alone for time but oh well. It was fun, in spite of bad conditions. The guys with the Cobras there (one '03 claiming 550+ rwhp) and other cars with bigger engines were really nice. In fact, they were so nice and gave so much respect to the STi, I'm suspecting the haters on the boards are either children without cars, or big-mouthed types that don't actually run theirs.

Anyways...thought I'd share my loss to an 8 and how the V8 dudes at the track were cool. Forum readers need to learn from them...

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

Originally posted by renichms
    So, when the people here said they like the Cobra and respect it, you're telling the guys here that they need to come up with excuses for a lightly modded STi losing to a well modded Cobra from a roll, when the result was expected? Perhaps you should drop by a board where the V8 guys are about to piss their pants from the excitement of beating a 4-cylinder sedan. The vast majority of those guys don't respect the STi at all.

Today I'm going to a 1/4 track, shooting for sub-13 stock. If I get it, it'll be on video. If not, I'll come really damn close. 13.155 last time with lots of extra junk in the car and this time I'm stripping it all out.

I was able to finally get the video to work too. It's okay, but someone needs a monopod and to run with a little more light. I couldn't see much at all.

RN
    Nope, a stock Cobra, well driven, would have beaten the STi too. So no, no excuses needed. I see V8 owners piss their pants over beating trucks just because they have Hemis, and import guys are MUCH worse. They are more surprised when they win. V8 guys are indeed more cocky, I agree with that, but hey, my car goes *WHOOM**WHOOM!* yours goes *vroom**vroom* It comes from being males, "bigger's better?" But I say: "Put it all behind you" it doesn't matter what car you had. When I had my Camaro on the street I almost got waisted by a Civic Si, I caught him, passed him and met up at the next light. he tells me he lost cause he had his AC running (sigh*) and went further to state: "I'm sure you need to stop at a gas station about now, but on your way, wanna go again? This time you wont be so lucky..." Maybe he stalled, maybe the sonic boom of my car passing him disabled the cars CPU, maybe the tire smoke screened him from seeing, or maybe he accidentally dropped into reverse... (My guess is his car was still in neutral from when he was revving at me...) Either way, I left him sitting there like an unwanted step child. I felt kinda bad, but later that night, I made my weekly stop by the honda-tech forum, and what do I see --> "HEAVILY MODDED CAMARO ALMOST WASTED!" oh well, It is a cruel, cruel world we live in... "sh!t happens..." I for one respect the STi (I GUESS the WRX too...) but it is stupid to stereo type other car owners, something that I see worse here than even on the Z28 board. I am neither a red neck, nor do I have a mullet, I don't say "WAHOOO!" and don't live in a trailor. Pish-Posh I guess.
    1972 Camaro RS/Z28 Youngsta doin' it OldSchool!
    Rebuilt 350 "DynoPub" Custom job. 3250lbs, 3550lbs with me in it...
    10.46@126.5 <street drags> *Being rebuilt for show*
    516whp 544lb-ft torque ALL MOTOR, no "Naaaaawzzz"... ever!
    Next up: 454 Big Block and/or Supercharger, SMOG Excempt Yay!

Originally posted by C9A1L1L
    Nope, a stock Cobra, well driven, would have beaten the STi too. So no, no excuses needed. I see V8 owners piss their pants over beating trucks just because they have Hemis, and import guys are MUCH worse. They are more surprised when they win. V8 guys are indeed more cocky, I agree with that, but hey, my car goes *WHOOM**WHOOM!* yours goes *vroom**vroom* It comes from being males, "bigger's better?" But I say: "Put it all behind you" it doesn't matter what car you had. When I had my Camaro on the street I almost got waisted by a Civic Si, I caught him, passed him and met up at the next light. he tells me he lost cause he had his AC running (sigh*) and went further to state: "I'm sure you need to stop at a gas station about now, but on your way, wanna go again? This time you wont be so lucky..." Maybe he stalled, maybe the sonic boom of my car passing him disabled the cars CPU, maybe the tire smoke screened him from seeing, or maybe he accidentally dropped into reverse... (My guess is his car was still in neutral from when he was revving at me...) Either way, I left him sitting there like an unwanted step child. I felt kinda bad, but later that night, I made my weekly stop by the honda-tech forum, and what do I see --> "HEAVILY MODDED CAMARO ALMOST WASTED!" oh well, It is a cruel, cruel world we live in... "sh!t happens..." I for one respect the STi (I GUESS the WRX too...) but it is stupid to stereo type other car owners, something that I see worse here than even on the Z28 board. I am neither a red neck, nor do I have a mullet, I don't say "WAHOOO!" and don't live in a trailor. Pish-Posh I guess.
    Your first two sentences make no sense. I haven't mentioned an STi beating a Cobra. In fact, I stated that a 475 rwhp Cobra is supposed to beat a lightly modded STi from a roll. That's a given, something expected, just as most people here have said. Not overlooking existing comments here will help you stay on topic.

If you think stereotyping is bad here, you need to get out more. Most guys I meet in person are really nice, so I don't peg them with a stereotype. However, go online, to a V8 forum, and a lot are rabid import haters. Just looking over the Hotrod mag article, I went online and found threads such as "Send Hotrodmag hatemail!!!1!!" and in it, since the STi WAS faster (notice statement of fact), stock for stock, they couldn't come up with anything better than to call the STi rice. Meaning when no case is present, throw insults. It's the sign of a small mind and exactly what a ricer would do.

Please do keep in mind that I'm not trying to flame you or pick a fight or anything like that. I'm pointing out what I have actually observed, not what I think they're like. On the whole, most GENUINE auto enthusiasts respect both import and domestic. Children that play video games at home and talk trash on the internet are the ones who hate one or the other (import or domestic). People who are very insecure or feel their "dominance" (however they perceive to have it) threatened will also resort to talking trash online and throwing insults. This is what I have observed.

For example, I went to a 1/4 mile track yesterday. No one talked trash to me about my car. No one talked trash about my car to anyone there that I associated with. In fact, several people came up to look at the car and tell me they like it. Some of them had Hondas, others trailered 5.0 Mustangs, a 2003 Cobra (pretty well modded), 300ZX's and such. Those people were real auto enthusiasts that can respect a fast car no matter the number of cylinders it has or where it comes from. As I said before, if it's fast, it's fast. No excuses. They see it that way too.

Sorry for the long rant. Hope this helps to explain how I see things. I respect fast cars no matter what engine they have or where they come from. Other real enthusiasts do the same. Most also have no problem with the stats produced from sources like Hotrod mag showing the STi faster and don't come up with a ricer excuse such as, "Well, if you put these tires on the Cobra..."

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

V8 guys have been getting beat by smaller displacement engines for decades now. Porsche, Ferarri,Lotus are example of small displacement motors taking on the V8's. In the 80's, the 280zx could smoke a Vette. In the later 80's the 944 turbo could beat or run similar nimbers as the C4's. The Conquest TSI could give Irocs a run for their money and the eclipes in the early 90's could also run with some V8's. The ignorant people are the ones who don't understand power to weight ratios. Most of these hi-po 4cyl are light and have good power. With modifications these cars wake up and make good power. Look at the american V8's. The Cobra is a Fat pig and the T/A and Camaro are not far behind. The Z06 is a great example of great HP to weight ratio. The car has 405 hp and weighs less than an STI. Bu most V8's are so heavy it sucks.
    Last edited by Drod; 12-07-2003 at 10:01 AM.

A pony car is made to drive fast in a straight line. The fact that a stock STi can do what a stock Mustang SVT is built to do just as well is a testament to how awesome a car the STi is. I never hear STi owners talk trash about how their car would own a Cobra in the dirt/gravel (not to mention in turns on tarmac) when they could if they wanted. The fact that so many people judge a car by how fast it can run the 1/4 mile (or just plain straight line driving) is sad. The STi is an awesome practical daily driver, a competent quarter-mile runner, and the best street legal rally car in America (note: the Evo can probably be considered just as good a rally car).

But if you just NEED to have real American performance, buy a Corvette (preferably Z06). You can find an '02 Z06 for less than $35k and destroy the $35k '03 Mustang SVT at EVERYTHING.
    Last edited by ihaveadent; 12-07-2003 at 07:26 PM.
    1967 Camaro
    2002 WRX SOLD

buy what you like. enough said

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.