my modded STi vs. modded V8s (VIDEO) - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on my modded STi vs. modded V8s (VIDEO) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have been part of both comunities and I have to agree. A$$%le* drive all type of cars. 98% of ...

I have been part of both comunities and I have to agree. A$$%le* drive all type of cars. 98% of WRX owners and Cobra owners that I have meet are cool. It's going to be a bit though to roll with those cars from any type of roll. That Cobra is going to faster and faster as the guy mods it.
    Last edited by Drod; 12-02-2003 at 06:03 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I love the vid I honestly belive that the STi would've lost in any type of race against those things. It may have lost by a little less from a dig, but I don't think it would've seen the headlights of that Cobra. I'm sure it was fun wither way, which is what counts
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

Originally posted by DenniSTi
    Here's a quote from the SS owner regarding his mods: "air box lid and free mods.....took screen out of mass air, throttle body bypass, and free ram air mod (cut bottom of air box).. "

He also has drag radials too and the SLP exhaust etc.. He has a 75 shot which wasn't used when I raced him..... . His 1/4 time on the gas is 11.9 @ 119......
    Oh, I think he has more mods than that. I have a few more than those on my SS and my best 1/4 was 13.2 @108 w/ 2.2 60 ft. (on street tires).

I seriously doubt that adding a 75 shot along with his mod list would get him 11.9s

Man, I gotta say, that vid was very dissappointing to me. Right now I'm debating trading my SS in on an STi.
    Rob

'07 Dodge Charger SRT8, black

Gone but not forgotten: '04 STi, '01 Camaro SS

Life Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars

Originally posted by copracer288
    Oh, I think he has more mods than that. I have a few more than those on my SS and my best 1/4 was 13.2 @108 w/ 2.2 60 ft. (on street tires).
    Maybe you need a lesson in driving .

I ran a 13.2 at 107 with a 2.1 60ft. in my bone stock 2002 Camaro SS and I was new to drag racing .

I say buy the STi anyways. That way you can drive the same car all year around comfortably .
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

Rob,

It also depends on the conditions (temp, barometric pressure, humidity, altitude, prepped track) that the particular SS in question ran in. Also, a six-speed SS on drag radials (with a decent driver) will 60' a 1.9 compared to your 2.2. That alone is a difference of around .4 - .5 at the end of the track. On your car, that would put your best at 12.7 compared to your 13.2. And then a 75-100 shot of juice can easily put you in the 12.0 range. Suddenly, 11.9 isn't that unfathomable, especially if the other SS is lightened a tad, or just a strong LS1.

I've got a heavy convertible that dynoed a best of 406 rwhp through a 12 bolt rearend. Best on street tires that I have gotten is 12.5 at 114. Lighter coupes with ET streets are running mid 11's with my setup. Cars with less mods than mine are turning better mph. I've learned just to be happy with what I have, and accept that a few cars out there will always be quicker. Especially guys who are ultra fast drivers like Shaitiger (he can only drive fast in a straight line, by the way, so don't pay attention to him... ).

There's still something about a RWD V-8 that just feels and sounds so right sometimes. But there are times I still consider getting rid of both, and just getting an STi, modding it, and being done with it. Oh well.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Dont really understand the praises. Did you expect a STI beat the O3 Cobra?

A modded 03 is sick. I wanna see it run a viper.

no replacement for displacement

Thumbs up Entertainment

Extra!! Extra!! Hod Rod Mag. did their own STi vs the World (Cobra)
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=459134

Re: Entertainment

Originally posted by Boostman
    Extra!! Extra!! Hod Rod Mag. did their own STi vs the World (Cobra)
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=459134
    If you want entertainment, go to a V8 club site and find their "Send Hotrodmag hate mail!!1!!" threads.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

Re: Re: Entertainment

Originally posted by renichms
    If you want entertainment, go to a V8 club site and find their "Send Hotrodmag hate mail!!1!!" threads.

RN
    That's great!

Look at the 60 ft times that tells the story.

2.25 For the Cobra

1.80 For the STI

Seems like they had some difficulties with traction on the SVT. But overall the STI wone. If they had a 2.0 60 ft time then the story would be diffrent, but it's still funny that a 300 hp car can preform like a 390 hp car. Looks like the Cobra made up some time on the top. The STI had 4/10 of an advantage after 60ft.
    Last edited by Drod; 12-05-2003 at 01:28 PM.

Re: Re: Entertainment

RN
    No, I think this thread is entertaining enough .
    Team Mullet Racing
    2004 White Evolution VIII - Wingless and Altezzaless
    www.forgivendriven.com

SOLD - Stage 4 WRX Wagon - 12.7 at 106mph - SOLD

DenniSTi- you know the guy with the cobra? when does he take it out of storage? i got a video of his car (blades) it deff seems bad @$$ and wouldnt mind runnin him during spring. did he do any more to it?

That mag. was just to get the import guys interested. Just how they throw a Camaro in an import tunner mag. every once in a while. They are pointless. Get on the road and figure out how fast your car is yourself. It doesnt matter if they have Camaros pulling 12.8s and STis pulling 13.2s if YOU can't pull it yourself. I've yet to see a STi pull anything lower than a 13, stock or slightly modded for that matter down at the track, let alone anything that resembles it on the road. But can they do it, there's no doubt in my mind they can... I respect all cars, and posting that video is fun, you rant and rave as if you EXPECTED him to win?? That Camaro is pulling about mid 12s with those mods, and low 12s with bottle (high 11s, I dunno bout that) The STi is pulling no better than low 13s or high 12s? This is a kill forum, and he got killed. He has respect for V8s, you could learn from that. Car forums are like freeways: some going this way, some going that way, some merging, some turning off. Gotta respect the road and the best drivers respect others, as I always say, "Sh!t happens..." We can start the whole argument "SS stock v stock are faster, and cheaper than the STi, with higher aftermarket potential, blah blah blah. Or: I'd like to see him try and run that fast around a corner (hella funny) or in the snow/rain (WTF!), oh and my favorite: I'd like to see him get this kind of gas millage (funniest one) "Can't we all just get along?" - MLK Jr
    Last edited by C9A1L1L; 12-05-2003 at 10:09 PM.
    1972 Camaro RS/Z28 Youngsta doin' it OldSchool!
    Rebuilt 350 "DynoPub" Custom job. 3250lbs, 3550lbs with me in it...
    10.46@126.5 <street drags> *Being rebuilt for show*
    516whp 544lb-ft torque ALL MOTOR, no "Naaaaawzzz"... ever!
    Next up: 454 Big Block and/or Supercharger, SMOG Excempt Yay!

Originally posted by C9A1L1L
    That mag. was just to get the import guys interested. Just how they throw a Camaro in an import tunner mag. every once in a while. They are pointless. Get on the road and figure out how fast your car is yourself. It doesnt matter if they have Camaros pulling 12.8s and STis pulling 13.2s if YOU can't pull it yourself. I've yet to see a STi pull anything lower than a 13, stock or slightly modded for that matter down at the track, let alone anything that resembles it on the road. But can they do it, there's no doubt in my mind they can... I respect all cars, and posting that video is fun, you rant and rave as if you EXPECTED him to win?? That Camaro is pulling about mid 12s with those mods, and low 12s with bottle (high 11s, I dunno bout that) The STi is pulling no better than low 13s or high 12s? This is a kill forum, and he got killed. He has respect for V8s, you could learn from that. Car forums are like freeways: some going this way, some going that way, some merging, some turning off. Gotta respect the road and the best drivers respect others, as I always say, "Sh!t happens..." We can start the whole argument "SS stock v stock are faster, and cheaper than the STi, with higher aftermarket potential, blah blah blah. Or: I'd like to see him try and run that fast around a corner (hella funny) or in the snow/rain (WTF!), oh and my favorite: I'd like to see him get this kind of gas millage (funniest one) "Can't we all just get along?" - MLK Jr
    So, when the people here said they like the Cobra and respect it, you're telling the guys here that they need to come up with excuses for a lightly modded STi losing to a well modded Cobra from a roll, when the result was expected? Perhaps you should drop by a board where the V8 guys are about to piss their pants from the excitement of beating a 4-cylinder sedan. The vast majority of those guys don't respect the STi at all.

Today I'm going to a 1/4 track, shooting for sub-13 stock. If I get it, it'll be on video. If not, I'll come really damn close. 13.155 last time with lots of extra junk in the car and this time I'm stripping it all out.

I was able to finally get the video to work too. It's okay, but someone needs a monopod and to run with a little more light. I couldn't see much at all.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

So, when the people here said they like the Cobra and respect it, you're telling the guys here that they need to come up with excuses for a lightly modded STi losing to a well modded Cobra from a roll, when the result was expected? Perhaps you should drop by a board where the V8 guys are about to piss their pants from the excitement of beating a 4-cylinder sedan. The vast majority of those guys don't respect the STi at all.

Today I'm going to a 1/4 track, shooting for sub-13 stock. If I get it, it'll be on video. If not, I'll come really damn close. 13.155 last time with lots of extra junk in the car and this time I'm stripping it all out.

I was able to finally get the video to work too. It's okay, but someone needs a monopod and to run with a little more light. I couldn't see much at all.

RN
    It would be nice to get some videos of some STi's smoking some V8s. I beat a Z06 Vette last weekend in a 1/4 mile race. I wish I had that on tape.
    At least Hot Rod mag had the guts to say the STi ran faster in the 1/4 mile and at the track than an 03 Cobra. That has to be good for some respect.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.