New Ford Thunderbird tests my STi

This is a discussion on New Ford Thunderbird tests my STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was on my way to Radio Shack and this man around 50 years old in a New Ford Thunderbird ...

New Ford Thunderbird tests my STi

I was on my way to Radio Shack and this man around 50 years old in a New Ford Thunderbird pulls up next to me at a light. I didn't think anything off it. I look his car over and he seemed to be doing the same to mine. I never once thought about racing him. There's not too many 50 year olds in Ford Thunderbirds running around looking for races.
    But to my suprize, when the light turned green he nailed it. He was gone. I was left sleeping at the light. I drive normally down the street and about 1/2 mile further down the road, I happen to line up next to Mr. Thunderbird.
    So I decided to wait and see if he was going to try the same thing with me. But this time I was ready. The light turned green and he nailed it. I instantly did the same and blasted away from him at the top of 1st gear. I continued up to about 60mph. I had several cars on him at 60mph.
    We then both turned right onto highway 1. As we were merging onto highway 1 he tried to dart around me on the outside. I floored it and pulled a good 3-4 cars in front of him and slowed down. He then stayed behind me for about a 1/4 mile and then cut over to the center median and made a U turn.

I guess he wanted to see how fast an STi is compared to his T bird. On the other hand he may not even know what an STi is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My father inlaw just got a thunderbird and refuses to believe that my STI will eat it for breakfast. He keeps saying something about his 8 cylinder. It kind gets on my nerves because he refuses to race me at all.

Wow...I dont think I would ever put that car up against the STi, what a fool.

Good kill

J-H
    Had the same happen to me. This guy that lives close to my house is ALWAYS looking for a race. I have a "regular" WRX and was no match...pretty funny to see him trying to get around me on the on ramp to I-5...I see him all the time and now he knows...

JH

I hate the looks of the new Thunderbird. Nice kill though; like he had a chance.
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

Don't the new TBirds only make like somewhere around 220hp?

The old man was a fool. His only excuse for racing ya is that he had no idea what he was racing. What a dumb***
    See ya on the Parkway
    MODS

Originally posted by del105
    My father inlaw just got a thunderbird and refuses to believe that my STI will eat it for breakfast. He keeps saying something about his 8 cylinder. It kind gets on my nerves because he refuses to race me at all.
    2004 WRX STi
    2.5L DOHC Turbo H4
    300HP@6000rpm
    300lb-ft@4000rpm
    Curb Weight: 3263lbs

2003 Ford Thunderbird
    3.9L DOHC V8
    280HP@6000rpm
    286lb-ft@4000rpm
    Curb Weight: 3775lbs

Interestingly enough, looking at the peak torque and HP figures, the STi has V8-like power delivery and
    WEIGHS FIVE HUNDRED POUNDS LESS!!!!! (not to mention AWD...)

Oh yeah, that's going to be a close race!

-Jim

Gee ya think if he can scrape together the dough for an overpriced/underpowered turd like the t-bird he could sample a few car mags and get an idea what he was tangling with.

I constantly battle V8 owner ignorance, both in my WRX and my SVT. It's like death and taxes. In fact I should be suffering from it but instead I benefit from it.
    02 WRX Wagon Silver SOLD
    03 Cobra Satin Silver, twin screwed, cammed, ported, nasty

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, a 50 year old guy lookin for a street race is lame.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    2003 SRT-4

Originally posted by josnroh
    Yeah, a 50 year old guy lookin for a street race is lame.

yea, a 16 year old in a civic trying to race is MUCH cooler...
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Originally posted by ebr0t
    yea, a 16 year old in a civic trying to race is MUCH cooler...

I usually think its pretty cool when an older person wants to race. Especially when they are driving a Vette, Porsche, BMW, etc. I just love that.
    Because like you said, every kid with a civic, or accord, etc, is just dying to race everyone on the road.

What I think is funny is when these usually older guys (50ish) go out and buy these expensive cars such as Chevy SSR pickup (which wanted to race me yesterday), Ford Thunderbird, Dodge Hemi trucks, etc, and they think just because the vehicle has a V8 under the hood its faster than everyone else on the road. You would be suprized at how many people think this way.