GTP vs WRX in South Jersey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on GTP vs WRX in South Jersey within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I ran a modded WRX about 10 times on 295 last night. I walked him at times but it was ...

GTP vs WRX in South Jersey

I ran a modded WRX about 10 times on 295 last night. I walked him at times but it was close. The guy gave me props and said he ran an 12.4. I am not sure if he was having problems or the boost was down. I had another person with me and he was by himself. Car looked awesome. BTW - I was being followed by one of the fastest GTP's in the world (Being Towed) - Low 11's without Nitrous. The guy gave props to him too.

Greg

2000 Black Grand Prix
    < $1000 in mods
    13.323 @ 102.01MPH 1.98 60ft
    Running out of fuel at 96MPH
    Street Trim (NO Race Gas)
    3610 Race Weight

Mods:
    3.0 ZZP MPS
    3" Downpipe to Y
    DHP PCM
    FWI
    1.9 Intense Rocker Arms
    $51 Tirerack Special Tires

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I thought about getting a GTP. How do you like it? Does it handle as big as it looks? Does it feel like it weighs as much as it does?

How does it respond to mods? Cna the boost be turned up?
    " I sell ice in the winter, I sell fire in hell "

My friend has a GTP that ran a 13.1 at ATCO so i know they are pretty sick cars when modded right. I raced one slightly modded in my WRX. He started about 1/2 to 3/4 cars ahead and we raced up a bridge in philadelphia. I had 4 people in my car and he had 2. im not making excuses because i respect any fast car....well almost any. We raced up the hill and we ran together he pulled to about a car head until 115 when i pulled in on him but had to hit the brakes because someone was in my lane. It was over after that he was gone becuase i dropped down to like 80. None the less it was a good race, and i talked to my friend with the GTP, and he said the GTP loses a lot top end which i started to see.

GTPs are really fast when modded and they definately are sleepers.

My friend video taped the race ill see if still has it and ill post it.
    WRX - It's not a rocket. It's a guided missile.

2point0,

Check out www.Clubgp.com

Alot of good information on that board.

If you get the GMPP Handling kit for $150, it tightens up the car a lot.

Nice cars but they are big....I weight 3610lbs with me in it.

Greg

i love the 3800 series 2 supercharged engine. i have one in my regal and it pisses off all the ricers in the area. they hate to lose to grandpa car.
    dont have a wrx.......yet
    I dont care how many stewerdesses you've bagged I still think your a lousy pilot ( if you know what show thats from i owe you a cookie)
    Onion horoscope of the week:Pisces: (Feb. 19óMarch 20)
    The stars foretell your life continuing in much the way it always has for the next few months.

Originally posted by joethesajin
    i love the 3800 series 2 supercharged engine. i have one in my regal and it pisses off all the ricers in the area. they hate to lose to grandpa car.
    my cousin used to have a gtp coupe.. too bad they don't have the same potential as the 3.8l turbo it was developed from..

BTW - he traded his for a z06
    2002 WRX:sold...2004 sti:sold...1998 2.0rs:sold...2009 WRX:tuned

Originally posted by 2point0
    I thought about getting a GTP. How do you like it? Does it handle as big as it looks? Does it feel like it weighs as much as it does?

How does it respond to mods? Cna the boost be turned up?

I like my GTP a lot. To this point the only problem I've had is the fuel pump resistor going bad, which it usually does on all around 50,000 miles. This left me stranded on the side of the road but other than that its been smooth sailing.

The handling is not anything to be in awe of. I have eibach springs, kyb struts, front and rear strut tower braces and you don't see me heading to an autocross competition. However, its good enough that I can live with it, plus it will keep you out of trouble by not wanting to go speeding through some turns and hit a pole or something stupid like that.

It definitely does not feel like it weighs that much. With all the torque the belt driven supercharger puts out you quickly forget that it weighs around 3600 lbs.

The car responds to mods very well and it is not that difficult to get to the low 13s. However, anything after that takes extensive modifications.

Finally, yes the boost can be turned up by putting a smaller pulley on the snout of the supercharger. Stock size is 3.8" and I currently use a 3.4" pulley. This was good for about 2-3 psi increase over stock and dropped the E.T. from around 14.8 to 14.2 with other supporting mods ( open cone, colder plugs, thermostat, etc. ).
    1998 Grand Prix GTP
    13.605 @ 107.33 mph

INTENSE, Inc.

I am thinkng of getting a nice 02 coupe GTP or 03 sedan:

Pros
    Comfortable
    Auto for relaxing on the way home from work.
    Nice power
    BIG Supercharged V6
    Luxory items such as heated seats and HUD

Cons:
    Front wheel drive
    Size

Does the weight make it feel like a FWD car? I read somewhere that it almost feels like a RWD? Does it respond well from a dead stop? I assume the supercharger feels like a NA engine? No lag?

Can you PM your aim name? So I ask more questions? Thanks for the help.

Does the weight make it feel like a FWD car? I read somewhere that it almost feels like a RWD? Does it respond well from a dead stop? I assume the supercharger feels like a NA engine? No lag?
    First, I would like to say that I am President of UNYCGP So I know ALOT about the Grand Prixs.

The weight doesn't make them feel like a FWD car, especially on the highway, but you will know you have a FWD car when you gun it from a stop and get some torque steer.....NOW this is NOT maxima torque steer, this is controlable and is only noticeable on slippery surfaces. The SC unlike a turbo has NO spool up time, so you have power on demand.
    From a stop, you will be amazed, punch the gas and you will be the envy of every ricer with your massive burnout, but feather the gas right, and these cars can cut 1.9 60' times DEAD STOCK!!!! the heavily modified GTPs are cutting 1.5-1.6 60' times. Dead stock the GTP is capable of mid 14s in the 1/4 mile, and are speed limited at 126 MPH.

For more information on these cars go to www.clubgp.com and you will find alot of helpful information. If you need anything else, feel free to PM me with any info.

How is the car for everyday driving? Is it nice and comfortable?

So it doesnt feel as big as it looks you say? And the handling may not be race car like but it is pretty good?

I am seriously considering one. 2 door or 4? I need to go drive one.

The thing I am excited about is that I had a magnaflow on my 99 3400 Grand Am GT and it sounded great, I can only imagine what the 3800 sounds like!

So is it safe to say the 3800 SC feels like a nice small V8?

So is it safe to say the 3800 SC feels like a nice small V8?
    Pontiacs original advertising was "Power of a V8 with the gas mileage of a V6" Yeah it definatley has the power of a V8...not an LS1 but definatley a mustang killer!(no offense to the mustang guys but it is true!)

How is the car for everyday driving? Is it nice and comfortable?
    I love my car for driving, I drove to Kansas City, and back 16 hours one way, and I never really got uncomfortable. It has a very smooth ride on the highway...however when the struts go bad..... WOW does the ride suck! my struts are just starting to get bad, but luckily I have a set of KYB replacement struts sitting on the garage floor.

So it doesnt feel as big as it looks you say? And the handling may not be race car like but it is pretty good?
    It definatley doesn't fell it's weight...well to me anyway. However alot of people complain when they are stock that they don't feel the power. But open up the intake, and add a smaller SC pulley and the sound of the SC will make you VERY happy! And the hadling isn't corner carver like a WRX but then again not many cars are!

Definatley test drive one, I have no preference on 2 or 4 door, the weight diffrence is very minimal...really a matter of choice. If you are thinking of modding the car at all, definatley choose the 2002 since there is currently no PCM(ECU) available...and if you mod you will definatley want one!
    Also, just some FYI the GTPs have heated Drivers seat, HUD, Digital Information Center(displays MPG, miles left on tank of gas, oil life, etc...) and dual climate control. 6 way power drivers seat with power lumbar support. And the trunk space to fit multiple bodies....uh i mean bags...yeah bags of body parts
    Stock or something close to it.....

if you are gonna go with a 4 door, look at the regal gs. its lighter than the 4 door GP and you get the sleeper image
    dont have a wrx.......yet
    I dont care how many stewerdesses you've bagged I still think your a lousy pilot ( if you know what show thats from i owe you a cookie)
    Onion horoscope of the week:Pisces: (Feb. 19óMarch 20)
    The stars foretell your life continuing in much the way it always has for the next few months.

Originally posted by joethesajin
    Main reason to get one Thats sort of why I bought my WRX...I like being quick in a 4 door thats sort of sleeper (mines black/wingless). I wanted one awhile back but I needed something AWD...my friend has a pretty modded up one, I'll tell him to come on the board and say whats up
    Last edited by SERacing; 12-04-2003 at 08:24 AM.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

Originally posted by Shoregtp
    2point0,

Check out www.Clubgp.com

Alot of good information on that board.

If you get the GMPP Handling kit for $150, it tightens up the car a lot.

Nice cars but they are big....I weight 3610lbs with me in it.

Greg
    Seems to me to be another "every Japanese car is rice" forum. Where are you located, maybe we could run sometime?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast