Acura MDX almost killed me and my wife
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Acura MDX almost killed me and my wife within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; We were cruising home from my inlaws yesterday afternoon, doing a sane 5 to 10 over the limit when we ...

Acura MDX almost killed me and my wife

We were cruising home from my inlaws yesterday afternoon, doing a sane 5 to 10 over the limit when we caught up to a Dodge Intrepid behind an Acura suv going about 10 under the limit of 45 on a twisty downhill stretch. I settled in because I knew there were several passing zones in a few miles. Soon the Acura was down to 25mph, no problem, it's a rad road with some impressive drop offs on the right. When we hit the river canyon at the bottom of the hill, traffic speeds up a bit, to 50 (in a 55 zone) and I pass the Dodge. As soon as I did, the Acura slows down to 40 through some easy bends. When we hit the straight away with a dashed yellow, the Acura floors it and I pace him up to 70 and he kept on to probably 80! I thought, maybe he woke up or something and figured out the road wasn't that windy now, but he slowed down to 40 again for the next set of bends. Crazy, I thought, so at the next passing zone, I dropped it a gear and went to pass but the ****weed floored it again and as I was next to him, he came into the lane I was in. I backed right off, barely keeping off of the far shoulder and watched as he drove down the middle of the road. At the next passing zone, he went right for the middle of the road again, speeding up for the straights and slowing way way down for the turns, at one point waiting until the last minute to pull out of oncoming traffic. After that, my wife said "pass this guy and let's get out of here". The next passing zone had a paved pullout on the far side, basically making the road three lanes wide. I dropped it down a gear and really got a jump, heading all the way over to the pullout. The guy still tried to block, but with the extra road and the big pile of horsepower I had, I was up next to him by the time he reacted. He flipped me off, blared his horn and tried to keep up with his brights on me after I passed. He had his whole family in the truck with him, too! For the life of me, I can't figure out what I did to set him off. Thanks for letting me rant, I needed to vent that.
    Orange cones fear me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

WRX
    people are ghey stupid sheep sometimes.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

I hate SUV's! They think they own the friggin roads. None of them can drive worth crap, they think they can handle every possible road condition...they are way too heavy, huge gas guzzling engines and way under powered brakes to slow em down!

Registered User StoplightWarrior's Avatar
    thats just a crappy experience with a sad human being. Shake it off
    2003 SRT-4

What an idiot. I bet he saw the ad with some bull**** "Mdx is a sport sedan beater" or some crap and tried to pull off that ****.

Idiot.
    Allow myself to introduce myself

Stuff like that happens to me too, out of the blue, totally unexpected. One or two people tell me I deserve it (for owning an STi, I guess ) but who knows what really sets them off.

In such a case, if possible, I recommend calling the police. If someone is going that much under the speed limit for the purpose of holding up traffic, pacing you to not let you pass, trying to run you off the road, running down the middle of the road to block you and then chasing you with horn blaring and lights flashing, it's definitely police time. Always keep "*HP" and 911 in mind.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

I think that EVERYONE should have to go drive in Germany or Italy for a week before they are given a license. That way they will see that letting someone pass is not "loossing a competion" but being polite.

That F***er would have been shot if he was on the Autobahn.
    --Jared

go fast, take the apex(no matter what)

Originally posted by jar_e_d sti
    I think that EVERYONE should have to go drive in Germany or Italy for a week before they are given a license. That way they will see that letting someone pass is not "loossing a competion" but being polite.

That F***er would have been shot if he was on the Autobahn.
    \

yeah they'll come up and actually bump you, if you dont move out of the left lane. I wish that everyone stayed out of the left lane unless they are passing, but instead we have people pacing drivers in the right lane and keeping anyone from passing, inturn turns regular drivers into "aggressive" drivers to try and get around people.

fre
    We have a big problem here in AZ with people thinking they own the road as well. One time I was stuck behind a truck for like 10 miles on the interstate while he paced the car in the right lane so I got off on an offramp and got straight back on and passed them on the right. This was an exist out in the middle of nowhere that went onto some dirt road and I knew it went straight up and straight back down. By far the funniest thing I have ever done. He was probably pissed as hell LOL
    As far as people speeding up on a two lane road for passing lane... it happens all the time, but now that I have my wrx it is no longer a problem for me All the cars that would give me a challenge if they decided to trounce it are usually going like hell too anyway.
    Last edited by fre; 11-29-2003 at 06:04 PM.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i don't know what gets into people sometimes,but in a case like that i've always wanted to get up there and give their left rear quarter a nice, little nudge and spin them right out,ala sprint car.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

I've had same experiences too and thats why I drive a car much faster then an SUV but the wife owns an Expedition though.
    2003 Evolution 8
    Buschur Racing 3'' turboback exhaust with high flow cat
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.
    345awhp/344awtq "catless".

I think the most annoying thing would be driving the interstate (I-25 here). The problem is, no one has a clue about safe following distances. If I am in the fast lane, and there is more than 1 car length between me and the car in front of me, people will speed up and cut in front of me, even if I am going the same speed as the car in front of me. Ridiculous! And people wonder why there are so many bad accidents all the time. I have to get right up on their bumper just so that 6 or 7 people don't feel the need to cut in front of me.

Thanks for the kind words of support, the whole incident was so strange. I'm 38 years old, not some punk kid who needs to burn rubber from every stoplight so this guys aggressive driving surprised me as he wasn't some punk kid either. I live in an area with lots of tourist traffic on roads that are not easy to drive. Almost every one I know has wrecked a car here, either from driving like an idiot or because some knucklehead from out of town doesn't have a clue. I won't go as far as to say I never drive to fast, I do own a WRX after all, but there is a time and place for everything and there is no time or place for messing with others on the road like the Acura guy did.
    Orange cones fear me.

fre
    Originally posted by yosemitemtb
    Thanks for the kind words of support, the whole incident was so strange. I'm 38 years old, not some punk kid who needs to burn rubber from every stoplight so this guys aggressive driving surprised me as he wasn't some punk kid either. I live in an area with lots of tourist traffic on roads that are not easy to drive. Almost every one I know has wrecked a car here, either from driving like an idiot or because some knucklehead from out of town doesn't have a clue. I won't go as far as to say I never drive to fast, I do own a WRX after all, but there is a time and place for everything and there is no time or place for messing with others on the road like the Acura guy did.
    Yup, I also live in a tourist area (Sedona/Flagstaff) and 89a is always full of tourists. I have had a few incidents where it seems like the guy is comming into my lane, but then I just punch it and move left and proceed to cut them off and taunt their slower vehicle.

Just shake it off, that waste isn't worth it.
    04 WRB STi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast