Acura MDX almost killed me and my wife - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Acura MDX almost killed me and my wife within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by GREDDY Sorry, couldnt quote your whole quote. But anyways, can we both agree that SUV's are safe ...

Originally posted by GREDDY
    Sorry, couldnt quote your whole quote. But anyways, can we both agree that SUV's are safe vehicles if driven by the right person and not by some total moron. I might be a total mad man in my EVO and used to have WRX but when I drive the SUV, I drive like a grandma at the speed limit. I guess what I was really trying to get at is collision(colliding with another car). I've been in a bad accident with a truck and my little acura integra GSR got hit from the back. Back end crushed all the way to the front seats crushing me against steering wheel(barely walked away from this one). Morons trucks front bumpers were alittle bent and headlights smashed in.
    Another incident, family and I went on vacation in 98 4Runner SR5, some idiot fell asleep at the wheels and swirved into my lane(they were headed opposite direction). Result, my family servived but the other family in smaller car didnt.
    I don't mean to cause you to remember the gruesome details, but did your 4runner end up going over the front of the car and smashing into the windshield of the other car?

I saw yet another PBS show where Britain noticed that most of the fatalities of car to SUV/truck occured because the higher truck ending up going over and crashing into the passenger area of the lower set cars. So they mandated that all trucks over a certain height have sort of a cow catcher like thing that stops a higher vehicle from being able to run over a smaller vehicle.

They actually had real footage of a truck(without the catcher) rear ending a small car. It wasn't pretty. Then they showed test footage of a truck equiped with the cow catcher thing - it was as if the car got rear ended by another car - very survivable damage.

I think they should mandate the same thing here...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by sht
    if you dont got five kids dont buy suv's. they are too big
    I feel for your experience. I'm sure that all of us have at one time or another experienced assinine driving behaviour from those who are either jealous or just plan stupid.

I did have to respond to the above quote though. Question: Have you tried to fit child seats in anything except a van or an SUV (basically the same platforms these days). If you have more than 2 kids that need child seats, it's basically impossible. Government regulations have helped to spawn the need for larger, unwieldy, gas guzzling vehicles for those who have no other alternative. Unless you want to by a boat for a car, a van or an SUV are reallly the only alternatives. Now...I'll get off my soapbox.

Scott
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Originally posted by jar_e_d sti

That F***er would have been shot if he was on the Autobahn.
    Or arrested for flipping someone off.

I drive in Germany a lot - in my in-laws Toyota and VW beaters - and I gotta say, it's highly structured. You don't pass someone unelss you mean it, and when you go into the left lane, you damn well better be able to see the whole road before Gerhardt in his 911 Turbo comes up on you at 150 mph in the fog. But as soon as someone screws up the system - passing on the right or swerving around a truck or something - the accidents are so nasty they pale anything we have here. 30-40 cars, 12-20 dead, they're nasty!
    Glad you survived the moron in the SUV.

I don't mean to cause you to remember the gruesome details, but did your 4runner end up going over the front of the car and smashing into the windshield of the other car?
    I slammed on the brakes so hard the front nose of the 4Runner was pretty close to the ground. It happened so fast and the impact was so hard it sent us spinning. The engine was sitting on the ground. The other car, well all thats left was half of it. I wont go into detail.
    2003 Evolution 8
    Buschur Racing 3'' turboback exhaust with high flow cat
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.
    345awhp/344awtq "catless".

from today's NY Times online edition:

Automakers to Offer Plan to Make S.U.V.'s Safer in Accidents
    By DANNY HAKIM

Published: December 2, 2003

DETROIT, Dec. 1 - The auto industry is set to announce a plan on Thursday to redesign vehicles in a way that mitigates the dangers that sport utility vehicles and pickup trucks pose to passenger cars.

The plan will essentially require automakers to make side air bags standard on vehicles by 2009. Those bags are intended to protect the head in a side-impact collision. It will also require changes in sport utilities and pickup trucks to make them less dangerous to the occupants of passenger cars.

"This is a historic voluntary commitment," said Eron Shosteck, a spokesman for the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, an industry lobbying group that oversaw the joint safety effort.

"You've never had a global organization bringing together automakers on three continents, coupled with the emergence of new safety technology and consumer demand for safety," Mr. Shosteck said. "All these events are coming together at the right time."

But Brian O'Neill, president of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, said: "It's a necessary first step, but it doesn't solve the problem. There's more work to be done yet."

Under pressure from Dr. Jeffrey W. Runge, who runs the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, automakers began working earlier this year on a plan to address the dangers that S.U.V.'s and pickups pose to car occupants.

The insurance institute, paid for by car insurers, agreed to join the effort.

In September, a group of industry engineers sent a plan to automakers for their approval, and several companies said then that they supported it. Mr. O'Neill said the group was exploring further design changes beyond those that would be announced.

Mr. Shosteck said the industry was "still ironing out the final details," but added that the deal was so close that a teleconference had been scheduled for Thursday.

The industry's plan for a Thursday announcement was first reported Monday by USA Today.

Mr. Shosteck said "virtually 100 percent of the vehicle market" would be involved in the agreement.

Under the plan, automakers will agree to performance tests that will essentially be impossible for most vehicles to pass unless they have side impact air bags that offer head protection. Just under half of 2004 models offer side air bags, but many are not standard equipment and some offer protection only to the chest area.

Half of new vehicles will undergo the tests by 2007 and all by 2009.

Automakers are also expected to agree to install design changes, by 2009, to make the rail frames of S.U.V.'s and pickups match up better with cars in head-on collisions.

"The requirements we developed for pickups and S.U.V.'s required that their front-end, energy-absorbing structures must significantly overlap the car's bumper zone," Mr. O'Neill said.

Such changes could reduce, by 28 percent, the risk of death for car occupants in head-on collisions with S.U.V.'s or pickups, he added.

Since the late 1970's, light trucks - S.U.V.'s, pickups and minivans - have grown from a fifth of light vehicle sales to more than half. While fatality rates in the United States continued to fall over roughly the same period, as technology and design radically improved, the country has slipped to ninth from first among nations ranked by fatality rates adjusted for miles traveled. It trails Australia, Britain and Canada, among others.

The growth of light trucks is seen as one reason for the slowing rate of decline in the traffic fatality rate. Others include the reluctance of many drivers to use seat belts and a rise in drunken driving and speeding.

Joan Claybrook, the president of Public Citizen, an activist consumer group founded by Ralph Nader, said a voluntary agreement should not preclude regulation.

"We don't even know that the vehicles actually meet the standards that they set for themselves," Ms. Claybrook said. "And if a company gets into a financial crunch, will they just decide not to do it for one year?"
    Mods
    Pass the hookah, throw down the pillows; Cloth on the ceiling, blow rings that billow; Kick off the shoes and relax your feet; Now roll up your sleeves for this lyrical treat

Originally posted by dsel
    Or arrested for flipping someone off.

I drive in Germany a lot - in my in-laws Toyota and VW beaters - and I gotta say, it's highly structured. You don't pass someone unelss you mean it, and when you go into the left lane, you damn well better be able to see the whole road before Gerhardt in his 911 Turbo comes up on you at 150 mph in the fog. But as soon as someone screws up the system - passing on the right or swerving around a truck or something - the accidents are so nasty they pale anything we have here. 30-40 cars, 12-20 dead, they're nasty!
    Glad you survived the moron in the SUV.
    The may have bad recks, but the death rate per mile travled on the Autobahn is substantially less than that of the US interstates.
    --Jared

go fast, take the apex(no matter what)

Originally posted by renichms
    An SUV cannot brake, handle or accelerate as well as a car. Simple fact. Therefore, they cannot avoid accidents as well. Studies have also shown that SUV buyers are MUCH more likely to buy an SUV for its intimidation factor, because of its size over cars, and then try to drive it to match their perceived image. So, they don't avoid accidents as well and are driving more aggressively and instigating more incidents. Then take into account their materials are the same but not as closely knit as a car. Due to its size, an SUV can FEEL safer than a car, but the reality is that it is not, in fact, safer than a car. SUVs are also MUCH more likely to roll over due to a higher center of gravity. And yes, my family has seen its fair share of accidents. We make a point of not buying SUVs.

RN
    My sentiments exactly, WRX's are both passively and actively safe. That's why I bought a wagon for my family, wife + 2 kids. I will not allow an SUV or pick-up to follow me to closely on the freeway for the reasons mentioned above.

Originally posted by keystah
    I think the most annoying thing would be driving the interstate (I-25 here). The problem is, no one has a clue about safe following distances. If I am in the fast lane, and there is more than 1 car length between me and the car in front of me, people will speed up and cut in front of me, even if I am going the same speed as the car in front of me. Ridiculous! And people wonder why there are so many bad accidents all the time. I have to get right up on their bumper just so that 6 or 7 people don't feel the need to cut in front of me.
    oh my god... it's like you stole the words out of my mouth and typed them before i could.

that is EXACTLY what i always say. people keep the same distance on the highway as they do in city driving. i just don't get it. they think that leaving 20 feet of space is fine no matter how fast you are driving. whether it means driving in traffic at 20mph or 80mph.

I always try to keep a 2 to 3 second distance between my car and the next. and often i am looking far enough that i can see the brake lights of the car which is 2 cars in front of me. so if i see them go bright red, my foot moves over to the brake. so that my brakes go on at the same time as the brakes of the car in front of me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123