Acura MDX almost killed me and my wife - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Acura MDX almost killed me and my wife within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; if you dont got five kids dont buy suv's. they are too big...

sht
    if you dont got five kids dont buy suv's. they are too big
    wrx 04 black

workin for the man

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if you dont got five kids dont buy suv's. they are too big
    We got a SUV(03 Expedition) because I have children. I just cant amagine getting into an accident with the little IS300 so we had to do the trade. I cant imagine the thought of losing my wife and children in an accident to some idiot driver. If you have kids, I would recommend getting a big SUV. Just a thought......
    2003 Evolution 8
    Buschur Racing 3'' turboback exhaust with high flow cat
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.
    345awhp/344awtq "catless".

Gah, so it's come to needing an SUV to be safe on American roads nowadays. Geesh, ban the stupid things, or at least make the drivers take some kinda commercial vehicle driving test so they can handle their damn land yachts.

2002 WRX Sedan, Blue.
    Catless, Cobb Stage 2, and so on.

Originally posted by GREDDY
    Just a thought......
    According to some study that I saw on T.V. or something, you're no more likely to live through an accident in an SUV. But somehow you ARE more likely to kill someone in an accident.

Just a thought.........

T.J.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

We got a SUV(03 Expedition) because I have children. I just cant amagine getting into an accident with the little IS300 so we had to do the trade. I cant imagine the thought of losing my wife and children in an accident to some idiot driver. If you have kids, I would recommend getting a big SUV. Just a thought......
    Actually, SUVs have been proven as LESS safe than most cars. And as far as avoiding an accident in the first place, they're wholly inferior. Inferior braking, inferior handling, inferior acceleration.

If I thought boxy was stylish, I'd be driving my refrigerator.

RN
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - WR Blue/Gold wheels
    60': 1.768
    1/4: 13.155 @ 102.02 MPH

Dude, I feel for ya...there are some serious ass looneys out there. Anymore I just want to be left alone as I'm trying to get from point A to point B...but I somehow never fail to turn up some turd on the road.

T.

Dangerous, unprovoked behavior like that on public roads deserves a handful of change tossed up in the air on the hood of that guys car. I have no idea what it is with some of these "luxury" SUV owners but they obviously need some hash marks on their hood to wake them up to the fact that they suck.

chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

Say what you guys want to say about SUV's because some of you are smarty pants and will argue against anything in here. When you get into an accident with your whole family in it, your gonna be wishing you were in a much bigger car. Been there done that....
    2003 Evolution 8
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.

Oh another thing, I'm always at the salvage auctions bidding on cars to restore and sell back to the public. I see more cars(80%) then SUV's in accidents each week, 360 days a year.
    2003 Evolution 8
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.

Oh another thing, I'm always at the salvage auctions bidding on cars to restore and sell back to the public. I see more cars(80%) then SUV's in accidents each week, 360 days a year.
    They've been making cars since the early 1900s. SUV like vehicles have been around a few decades. An actual SUV is maybe mid to late 80s on. Although sales are almost equal now, SUVs are sorely outnumbered, thus explaining the presence of more cars than SUVs in a salvage yard. Also take into account that guesstimations aren't going to be too terribly accurate.

As far as SUVs not being safe, I wasn't trying to be a "smarty-pants." I was quite serious. An SUV cannot brake, handle or accelerate as well as a car. Simple fact. Therefore, they cannot avoid accidents as well. Studies have also shown that SUV buyers are MUCH more likely to buy an SUV for its intimidation factor, because of its size over cars, and then try to drive it to match their perceived image. So, they don't avoid accidents as well and are driving more aggressively and instigating more incidents. Then take into account their materials are the same but not as closely knit as a car. Due to its size, an SUV can FEEL safer than a car, but the reality is that it is not, in fact, safer than a car. SUVs are also MUCH more likely to roll over due to a higher center of gravity. And yes, my family has seen its fair share of accidents. We make a point of not buying SUVs.

On the way out of Huntsville one time, when roads were frozen over, I made an amazing observation. People with trucks and SUVs thought they were invincible, so drove faster and more aggressively on the ice. End result: 100% of the accidents, fatal or otherwise, were trucks and SUVs, mostly SUVs. No wrecked semi, no wrecked small cars, no wrecked minivans.

Please don't take this as a flame. I'm not trying to be smart with you but don't want someone misrepresenting a vehicle as safer than it actually is.

RN

Re: Acura MDX almost killed me and my wife

Originally posted by yosemitemtb
    We were cruising home from my inlaws yesterday afternoon, doing a sane 5 to 10 over the limit when we caught up to a Dodge Intrepid behind an Acura suv going about 10 under the limit of 45 on a twisty downhill stretch. I settled in because I knew there were several passing zones in a few miles. Soon the Acura was down to 25mph, no problem, it's a rad road with some impressive drop offs on the right. When we hit the river canyon at the bottom of the hill, traffic speeds up a bit, to 50 (in a 55 zone) and I pass the Dodge. As soon as I did, the Acura slows down to 40 through some easy bends. When we hit the straight away with a dashed yellow, the Acura floors it and I pace him up to 70 and he kept on to probably 80! I thought, maybe he woke up or something and figured out the road wasn't that windy now, but he slowed down to 40 again for the next set of bends. Crazy, I thought, so at the next passing zone, I dropped it a gear and went to pass but the ****weed floored it again and as I was next to him, he came into the lane I was in. I backed right off, barely keeping off of the far shoulder and watched as he drove down the middle of the road. At the next passing zone, he went right for the middle of the road again, speeding up for the straights and slowing way way down for the turns, at one point waiting until the last minute to pull out of oncoming traffic. After that, my wife said "pass this guy and let's get out of here". The next passing zone had a paved pullout on the far side, basically making the road three lanes wide. I dropped it down a gear and really got a jump, heading all the way over to the pullout. The guy still tried to block, but with the extra road and the big pile of horsepower I had, I was up next to him by the time he reacted. He flipped me off, blared his horn and tried to keep up with his brights on me after I passed. He had his whole family in the truck with him, too! For the life of me, I can't figure out what I did to set him off. Thanks for letting me rant, I needed to vent that.
    That's messed up. I have a bad temper. I probably would have followed him home and beat the living **** out of him. You are a better man than I. I would have ended up in jail or the hospital. You shoulda got his plate number though.
    Last edited by FUNKED1; 12-01-2003 at 04:35 PM.
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

Please, next time that happens (hopefully it won't!), call the police. You need to get some backup out there when some random pr!ck in a SUV decides he suddenly owns a Lamborghini. He was driving recklessly and putting your lives and that of his family in danger.

Karma's a b!tch, just remember that...he'll get his someday.
    -----------------
    Jennifer - www.stinkykitty.com
    '04 Blue WRX Sedan - THE BLUE MEANIE! Grrrrrrrr, baby, grrrrrr!
    Cobb Stage 1. Fear me, pretty bunnies!

I saw an interesting PBS show with research indicating just that: People are driving less safely erroneously thinking that the technology in the car will save them. For every increase in safety technology, people drive equally unsafe - nullifying the overall net advantage. I saw some lady doing her nails in the car, not stopped, but driving on the freeway, in her SUV no doubt thinking, hey, as long as me and my nails survive, who cares who I kill.

They've been making cars since the early 1900s. SUV like vehicles have been around a few decades. An actual SUV is maybe mid to late 80s on. Although sales are almost equal now, SUVs are sorely outnumbered, thus explaining the presence of more cars than SUVs in a salvage yard. Also take into account that guesstimations aren't going to be too terribly accurate.
    Sorry, couldnt quote your whole quote. But anyways, can we both agree that SUV's are safe vehicles if driven by the right person and not by some total moron. I might be a total mad man in my EVO and used to have WRX but when I drive the SUV, I drive like a grandma at the speed limit. I guess what I was really trying to get at is collision(colliding with another car). I've been in a bad accident with a truck and my little acura integra GSR got hit from the back. Back end crushed all the way to the front seats crushing me against steering wheel(barely walked away from this one). Morons trucks front bumpers were alittle bent and headlights smashed in.
    Another incident, family and I went on vacation in 98 4Runner SR5, some idiot fell asleep at the wheels and swirved into my lane(they were headed opposite direction). Result, my family servived but the other family in smaller car didnt.
    2003 Evolution 8
    Apexi SAFCII
    Turboxs HPmbc(19psi)
    Injen intake kit.
    HKS 264/272
    329+awhp/327+awtq.

Sorry, couldnt quote your whole quote. But anyways, can we both agree that SUV's are safe vehicles if driven by the right person and not by some total moron. I might be a total mad man in my EVO and used to have WRX but when I drive the SUV, I drive like a grandma at the speed limit. I guess what I was really trying to get at is collision(colliding with another car). I've been in a bad accident with a truck and my little acura integra GSR got hit from the back. Back end crushed all the way to the front seats crushing me against steering wheel(barely walked away from this one). Morons trucks front bumpers were alittle bent and headlights smashed in.
    Another incident, family and I went on vacation in 98 4Runner SR5, some idiot fell asleep at the wheels and swirved into my lane(they were headed opposite direction). Result, my family servived but the other family in smaller car didnt.
    I can understand why you feel the way you do then. However, just the trip leaving Huntsville was enough to scare me away from them, even though I know I'd drive an SUV like you (drive conservatively, that is). Passing by trucks and SUVs with dead people in them was mildly disturbing. Of course, I've also gotten opportunity to watch a huge truck that tows semi-cabs plow into a full-sized pickup...pickup slowing for stopped traffic ahead, so at maybe 40 mph and the bigger truck was going 85 when he hit. The little truck was torn to pieces and the big one had a scratch in the chrome on the front and some busted lights. Guy in the big truck feared losing his job and the guy in the little truck (well, "little" since it's not really all that small) was busy wondering why his back hurt so much and why there was no longer any tailgate or glass in his truck. The whole size thing is relative.

RN

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.